June 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2019.

?

What "Basics" will you use for "Just the Basics June"?

1. Basic soaps. Arko, Williams, you know, the good stuff.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Basic razors. Weishi, Techs, Superspeeds, you know, the good stuff.

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Basic brushes. VDH boar, you know, the good stuff.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Basic aftershaves. Aqua Velva, Clubman, The Veg, you know, the good stuff.

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  5. I'm using a whole bunch of stuff and I don't care if it's basic or not!

27 vote(s)
    64.3%
  6. Straight razors. Basic enough for you?

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  7. Cookies and Ice Cream for me, thank you very much.

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  8. I'll tell you at the meet up. Save me a brush.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I always admire the CC, Clint. That razor simply has kept up its appeal.

brit, 9nein9, Linuxguile and 7 others like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Happy 200th page!! First "sampling" of the Stoylin Noir this morning, and it appears to be a little warm for this time of year. But as it is a Stoylin it helps provide the fresh, clean face and neck(course the shave itself does most of it-I had the Barbasol "Century Can". )

wristwatchb, brit, 9nein9 and 8 others like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    June Focus
    [​IMG]
    Figaro Sapone Speciale~~Morris & Forndran Polo 2~~1908 Gillette SR~~Minora~~Aqua Velva
    I was looking for a slight change of pace and with the Gillette Single Ring, change was achieved.
    As of late, I have been gravitating towards the "old school" soaps. Williams, Figaro, AoS (Unscented) as well
    as the Aqua Velva, which you all must have noticed is getting some real "airtime".
    The P. 160 soap once again proved to be nothing short of brilliant. The lather, the cushion, the slickness,
    and even the scent, faint as it may be, is mos def top-quality.
    The pre-Sears Polo 2 is a wonder as well. It's not my favorite handle (too narrow at the base), but it's
    still fun to lather up and use. The knot is where this brush really shines.
    Now to the DE...:eatdrink013:

Loaded it up with a thrice-used Minora blade; checked for blade alignment and went to work.
    "Is there a blade in this razor?" That's how smooth the first pass, and all subsequent passes were.
    Rode the cap...a bit, but found that the correct angle came naturally.
    Terrific results and a true 100% BBS achieved.:happy036:
    I simply have not been able to say that with any straight razor shave to-date. :(
    Big finish with the AV and I am ready for the day.

wristwatchb, AlDm, 9nein9 and 12 others like this.
  4. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Thank you Jason!

Don't know if I'm the right person to describe scent. It's difficult for me, as I'm such a newbie to particularly this aspect of wet shaving/grooming. I've been a deodorant only person for 15 years. And before that, it was deodorant and then colognes that wifey bought for me, or we bought together.

I'll try: 1445 scent....is a bit repressed. You have to stick your nose in the container to get a good whiff. Not like the C&F Lime Oil that jumps out of the container at you screaming LIME! Lime, and oh...yeah, YOU WILL SMELL LIME. 1445....the opposite. Repressed Fougere smell to me, but there's a lot more going on deep down that makes it different (ingredients listed on their website). Their website has a vague description of light, 'freshly bathed'. There is also a review of it on Sharpologist (hope it's ok mentioning). Between those two places, I don't know that I have the ability to do better. And...I guess the tell tale sign, would I buy it again? No. While the cream/lather it produces is awesome, the scent....many other better examples to pick from.

HTH.

9nein9, brit, Linuxguile and 9 others like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

There's gunna be a lot of AV on my face throughout the summer.

9nein9, brit, Linuxguile and 8 others like this.
  6. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

The sellers ID is listed as happy-from-japan

I would purchase from again. Quick shipping. As described.

As to honing for others, not sure I'm remotely qualified.

9nein9, brit, Linuxguile and 7 others like this.
  7. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great looking tools and shave, Joseph!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9nein9, brit, Linuxguile and 5 others like this.
  8. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

The fatboy is up today!
    [​IMG]

06/20/2019 – Focus Shave #10 for June

RazoRock 400 Noir Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush
    Salsa Bowl / Timeless Lather Bowl Scuttle
    Fine Accoutrements – Snake Bite
    Astra SP
    Gillette E2 1959 195 Adjustable / Fat Boy
    Univinlions (Kai Clone) with Feather Pro Blade
    Nivea Post Balm
    Pinuad Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Another excellent shave is in the bag this morning. Univinlions on the cheeks and the Fatboy on the neck. Everything worked out great this morning, nice razors and a nice soap just brought it all together. No weepers or nicks. Finished up with a little Pinuad Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum.

Great day in Dixie! Hope y’all have a great day!

20190601_180828.jpg

wristwatchb, AlDm, 9nein9 and 10 others like this.
  9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

1.gif

9nein9, brit, Linuxguile and 8 others like this.
  10. Hembree

I might surprise you! I have been to Presque Isle and Caribou, Maine.....also Quebec City, Quebec. I almost forgot Prentice, Wisconsin but I always remember how to get back to ALABAMA!
    [​IMG]

9nein9, brit, Linuxguile and 7 others like this.
  11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Very nice, Danny!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

12. Hembree

Thanks Jim it was vary enjoyable shave. Take care!

13. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Joseph
    I have bout 6 or 7 so they're not foreign to me. I like them, great shaves, makes so so blades smoother, good blades last a tad longer for me.
    This one was told to be kinder, gentler, but it still shaves well.
    To me anyways.
    tp

9nein9, brit, Linuxguile and 9 others like this.
  14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Have not had time to keep up on this thread this month, but I am looking forward to seeing some of you tomorrow. Here are my last three shaves. Finally finished the Route 66 soap.
    CC861487-6EA0-4728-A7A3-383DDDFE4072.jpeg F2297965-0BAE-44EA-A3EF-3C79D605572D.jpeg 9F0BEFF4-B1C8-419A-9CAD-10EF94BD9E4D.jpeg

b1hart, wristwatchb, AlDm and 13 others like this.
  15. Hembree

Great shaves Adam and I love the straight.............bad looking little boy!

9nein9, brit, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

No surprises, Danny. Maine's a beautiful place, and I would love to see Quebec and Wisconsin someday. I understand regarding wanting to be home, whether it is Alabama or Kentucky. My home is KY, but I'll always have a connection to AL through my Dad.

Even Sheriff J.W. Pepper gets out of Louisiana every now and then. :) I'm a Bond fan. This scene in Live and Let Die is a riot.
    1.jpg [/QUOTE]

b1hart, 9nein9, brit and 11 others like this.
  17. Hembree

[/QUOTE]
    My grandmother's sister (dad's side) lived in KY but I don't remember where. We may be kin Charlie. :)

wristwatchb, 9nein9, brit and 8 others like this.
  18. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I forgot how much I like that razor. I also took it to my barber shop that day for him to use on my neck. Now he wants an Osiris razor.

9nein9, brit, jtspartan and 9 others like this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim. The Cobra is a very cool razor. I’m lucky to have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

june202019.jpg
    June 20th

PAA SS (CK6) Doppelgänger Black Label (Homage to Sauvage)
    Zenith Boar
    Ralf Aust 6/8 Horn
    PAA AS Doppelgänger Black Label (Homage to Sauvage)

Last night.....Amazon did it's thing and delivered a 3 inch x 12 inch flat unfinished leather 'strop' with green and white polishing compounds. My experiment with CrOx started this way, as I didn't want to use CrOx on my 'real' strops until I was convinced this extra product and steps of stropping worked for me, in my world. Only $13 if it didn't. I know and have read many posts extolling the CrOx and FeOx benefits. I get it...but I'm an engineer originally, and that mindset want's proof. It's kind of like the self proclaimed audio aficionado....who tells me a two thousand dollar 12 inch interconnect has better freq range (or adds clarity) than one I can solder up and make muhself for $50. Want to see freq response comparison on an oscilloscope? Double blind test? Nah....they usually decline....but I digress. The Ralf Aust did about 30 laps on the CrOx strop, then went to the linen, then leather as usual. Shave test result? One side of my linen strop will get coated with CrOx. Shaving arm hair after the CrOx addition, was better than before. Hair popping? No.....just better.

First use today of the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements CK6 formula shave soap. Color me impressed. Lovely aroma, excellent slick creamy and very easy/quick to lather. If it matters, I use a bowl all the time to lather. As a wet shaving newbie description, I liken PAA CK6 formula to Castle & Forbes, Wholly Kaw (actually very similar consistency in my mind), MWF, ToBS, Proraso Red, and Ogallala. For me, all of these make quick easy slick fun lathers that I will continually buy for open blade shaving. CK6's 1 hour after the shave face feel.....still nice, not greasy nor dry/sticky. The matching PAA AS, definite wife approved. Top 10 list.

The Ralf Aust today was shaving very well after the CrOx and strop treatment. Used no PS today, to test landing slick of the SS (and extra CrOx treatment). Sharp and slick equals easy landing movement on gorilla hair (as long as pressure is controlled and you don't have a landing oops). 3 pass DFS shave. I did have an oops on the 2nd pass, nicked my nose, and a small lower left cheek weeper (pressure). No big drama, both stopped on their own.

I hope I caught everyone's direct quotes from yesterday. Haven't been caught up on the thread since Tuesday evening. Ultra busy, only brief breaks between work load and active family to drop in at TSD.

Have a terrific Thursday Gentlemen!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    wristwatchb, AlDm, 9nein9 and 12 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.