June 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2019.

?

What "Basics" will you use for "Just the Basics June"?

1. Basic soaps. Arko, Williams, you know, the good stuff.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Basic razors. Weishi, Techs, Superspeeds, you know, the good stuff.

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Basic brushes. VDH boar, you know, the good stuff.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Basic aftershaves. Aqua Velva, Clubman, The Veg, you know, the good stuff.

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  5. I'm using a whole bunch of stuff and I don't care if it's basic or not!

27 vote(s)
    64.3%
  6. Straight razors. Basic enough for you?

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  7. Cookies and Ice Cream for me, thank you very much.

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  8. I'll tell you at the meet up. Save me a brush.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Norcalnewb, 9nein9, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  2. Trigger

Blair, great post! You will find that Crox is a very important tool to refresh straight razors and based on my research, it extends the time between major honings.

Norcalnewb, 9nein9, Hembree and 8 others like this.
  3. Trigger

Nice post, Gary! Have a great day as well!

Norcalnewb, 9nein9, Hembree and 5 others like this.
  4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Nice, Adam!
    See you this weekend!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Norcalnewb, brit, Trigger and 6 others like this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Joe
    tp

Norcalnewb, brit, 9nein9 and 6 others like this.
  6. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great shot and report, Blair!

b1hart, Norcalnewb, brit and 6 others like this.
  7. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, sir.

Norcalnewb, brit, Trigger and 5 others like this.
  8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great picture, Gary!

Norcalnewb, brit, Trigger and 5 others like this.
  9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Joe!

Norcalnewb, 9nein9, Trigger and 4 others like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Joe. I hope you have a wonderful day as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, 9nein9 and 4 others like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Yes Blair, TSD is here for the discussion of Wet Shaving. Our Queen, JoAnna, provides us this whole website for that specific purpose. If you find information on another site; link, copy/paste, swipe graphics & charts, just bring the goods, the bads, or the uglies. The questions... the answers!

Thank you for sharing/Enabling! There is one kind of linking not allowed; open auctions. Don't want TSD to become a billboard for someones personal sales & hyping up prices. Simply sharing a vendors name is fine.

Honing is my mental & financial stumbling block. I'm balking at investing in all the various types of hones and accessories to even get started. A Norton 4k/8k is on my list. Then there's DMT, lapping films, Arkies, etc. I don't want to become a Hone Master or have more into my maintenance gear than the razors themselves.

12. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Hope it helps. Thanks for the comments.

One small clarification/addition. I will continue to buy the C&F Lime Oil as it's depleted. While C&F brand is a little spendy, it backs up the worth with the results I like.

I also have a trial size of C&F Lavender which I plan to buy in a full size. Same thing maybe for a trial C&F Sandalwood. The C&F Sandalwood is extremely similar aroma/fragrance to the WSP Formula T Sandalwood, although completely different in container texture. These two are very much Sandalwood, not sweet at all, say like ToBS or Proraso or AoS. However.....when I tried the WSP sandalwood, I had a skin reaction. Not sure if it was the WSP Formula T SS or the WSP matching balm. Haven't gone back to it for clarification (other inventory more appealing :) ).

Drygulch, 9nein9, Norcalnewb and 8 others like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

The finish and beauty is only skin deep. Mechanics and geometry are top shelf! I like my NEW LC, Fatip, DOC, but this particular unit gives great shave.

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thank you Clint!
    I love "awesomeness" city, Joe! Thanks for that and I hope your day is terrific, too.
    Nice shave and thank you, Gary!

Drygulch, 9nein9, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  15. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

June 20th
    Gillette Goodwill #160 w PermaSharp (2)
    Castle Forbes Lime
    Omega '49/Walnut handle
    Thayers
    CL Bon Vivant AS
    IMG_2297.jpg
    Lots of talk about Lime the past few days, so I had to pull out the Castle Forbes. I've mentioned a few times lately that I love the straight Lime scent of this soap, and the performance is top tier as well. I think I'll go with a bit of a Lime kick the next few days- I've got the Jeeves Key Lime and the Stirling Gin and Tonic which are very Lime forward as well. Lime forward AS? I'm way more limited there. I've got Florida Water and the citrus in the Bon Vivant and that is about it... I sense a purchase coming.
    Anyway, the shave itself was interesting. I don't have this Goodwill dialed in yet. I've had a bit of irritation the past few days that I never get with its cousin, the NEW LC. A close shave for sure -in the same range as most all my vintage OCs to be honest- but my neck has been quite irritated. I'll get it dialed in, but it may take me a few more days. I took a picture this morning of the NEW LC and the Goodwill side by side. I think many on here are already aware that the Goodwills used existing parts (baseplates and handles) from either Old Types or NEWs, altered them, added new top caps and packaged them as basically free razors to get people to try the new Gillette blades without the 3 holes.
    You can see by the pic below, that there was some fairly significant altering of what became the NEW LC in that the stamping did alter the base plate a bit, and the top cap is completely different.
    IMG_2301.jpg
    I definitely need some more time with this razor, but probably not for a few days, as I'm also itching to give my new Single ring a try and then off to the lake for the weekend.
    Have a great day, all!

b1hart, wristwatchb, AlDm and 12 others like this.
  16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Love those being heavy blades, I find it easier to shave with them too.

Great job bring that razor back to life. I’ll be watching your progress with Japanese grind kamis.

b1hart, Drygulch, 9nein9 and 9 others like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

thank you Clint..no issues using it daily so far..:)

Drygulch, 9nein9, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  18. Keithmax

Very cool, plus with a nice factory edge. I have never seen that razor before, how did you find it?

Drygulch, 9nein9, Norcalnewb and 9 others like this.
  19. Keithmax

There is still time to come to the second annual 30DC meet up.

Drygulch, 9nein9, jtspartan and 9 others like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Just might make a Focus of it. :cool:
    Thanks Jim. I had to do something with the colors. Lime green soap label, pinkish red brush handle, and small orange dish the Col Conk soap sets in clashed hard. The B&W looked harsh so I gave it a touch of Sepia Tone.
    Thanks Clint!
    Thanks Patrick!
    Thanks Joe! After a month of open blade it was fun doing DE.
    I share your thoughts on that Joseph. My kami-shavette curiosity has been assuaged. I can get an socially acceptable shave with another tool. Now I have another toy to play with and my new to me vintage DE shaved so much closer without the ever present chin stubble I just haven't been able to catch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.