June 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2019.

?

What "Basics" will you use for "Just the Basics June"?

1. Basic soaps. Arko, Williams, you know, the good stuff.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Basic razors. Weishi, Techs, Superspeeds, you know, the good stuff.

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Basic brushes. VDH boar, you know, the good stuff.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Basic aftershaves. Aqua Velva, Clubman, The Veg, you know, the good stuff.

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  5. I'm using a whole bunch of stuff and I don't care if it's basic or not!

27 vote(s)
    64.3%
  6. Straight razors. Basic enough for you?

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  7. Cookies and Ice Cream for me, thank you very much.

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  8. I'll tell you at the meet up. Save me a brush.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Thanks Joe! Love my homeland and our sister states. The picture below is from our state capital building. The gold star is where Jefferson Davis was inaugurated on Feb 18, 1861. He is still our official president.:) Take care my friend!

[​IMG]

9nein9, Norcalnewb, Trigger and 8 others like this.
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Danny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norcalnewb, brit, Trigger and 3 others like this.
  3. Hembree

Great report and I learned alot about the Goodwill..................very interesting. Great shave and picture as well Jason.

Norcalnewb, brit, Trigger and 6 others like this.
  4. Hembree

:thanks:

5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Excellent shave Paul! The scales on that razor are gorgeous!
    Very nice Neal, I'm sure things will pick up for you!
    Mmm, lime! Great shave and photo Rick!
    Pair of great shave Chris!
    Awesome shot Jim!
    Cool new razor Terry, glad it worked for you!
    Great photo Jim!
    Very nice, Clint!
    Beautiful SR, Joseph! Congrats on the bonafide BBS!
    Fine looking shave, Danny!
    You've got some great gear Adam. Glad to see you stop in!
    That's a pretty Razor and great shave Blair!
    Purely awesome, Gary!

b1hart, MR41, Primotenore and 9 others like this.
  6. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Awesome pic and colours as usual, Jim. You are slipping a bit, though, no red on the soap to match the brush...:scared003::happy097::)
    Glad to hear the new razor is working out, Terry.
    I guess that TSD Floid Blue Type is 'double unobtanium' now, Jim. Great combo as always.
    Have a great Thursday, Clint. The Cobra is certainly a stunner, day in and day out. Maybe they'll make them again someday.
    What a stunning Single Ring, Joseph. Interesting that you mentioned 'checking for blade alignment' on your Single Ring. I just loaded a blade into my new-to-me one this morning and was shocked at how much you do need to manually make sure the blade is straight. On my ball-end Old Type there is way less potential 'play'.
    The FatBoy is in fantastic shape, Danny. So many old Gillettes on here today just look phenomenal for their ages...
    Happy to see you post again, Adam. Love the scales on that razor for sure. Enjoy the meetup!
    My barber (happens to be a lady) always uses a Feather kami on my neck. Never an issue, she is a pro with it. Brushless cream, though...
    You and a number of others are seriously enabling on the CK6 base! I may have to give Et Tu a go...

b1hart, Norcalnewb, brit and 9 others like this.
  7. jtspartan

Thanks, Danny. I did a search for Goodwill threads on here and there are a couple. Good info on there.
    Some have Top Caps with holes for the protruding part of the baseplate as well. Very cool-looking.

Norcalnewb, brit, Terry and 7 others like this.
  8. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hi all. Another almost but not quite shave today. One weeper on the neck, otherwise as good as I've had with a straight. R4L might just be my favorite Stirling scent Based on Grey Vetiver. One of these days I need to pick up a bottle of the real thing. After NB19, of course...

IMG_20190620_114213_compress64.jpg

b1hart, wristwatchb, 9nein9 and 10 others like this.
  9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Another beautiful shot Robert!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

9nein9, Norcalnewb, brit and 5 others like this.
  10. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Thanks, Andrew!

Norcalnewb, brit, Trigger and 4 others like this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Andrew.

12. jtspartan

OK, now you're just showing off, Robert...

Norcalnewb, brit, Trigger and 6 others like this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jason.

14. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Got it. Thank you for the clarifications Rick!

Warning.....<some may want to fast forward to the next post....small sandbox mode ON>

On honing.... I'm exactly the same mindset. Honing is a laborious time consuming frustration. I don't get into it. It isn't a zen thing for me. Honing is simply drudgery maintenance. The best part of honing? The music I'm listening to (and looking at a pretty razor)! But it gives me a small piece of satisfaction that I am self sustaining in this hobby. The other (much bigger) satisfaction....are the edge results I get to use 15-30 minutes every morning when I shave. Changing the oil in my Ford 7.3L diesel isn't fun. It's 4 GALLONS of oil. But the results of most everything else I do with that truck are. Same concept.

Honing options, products and research seems like a wizardry rabbit hole to me. I've lurked and read and searched forums/threads/products/reviews off and on since Feb 2019. I am convinced, for my purposes and needs, I have all the honing/edge maintenance gear I'll ever purchase. I have: Norton 1k/4k dual sided, Norton 8k, Norton Flattening Stone, Shapton 12k, and a small Nagura 8k Stone (used for slurry). All from Amazon, total price as a typical new straight. Beginner leather strop. Then, my Bison Ezra Arthur linen and horsehide strop. Strops are a must have, so I don't really consider that expense as a part of honing per se. Yesterday I added CrOx to my routine. Several people here helped that enabling, some came from other research (videos) as well.

All the other honing rabbit hole esoteric stuff.... I'll stay away. I've got what works for me and my K.I.S.S. brain.

What I should have done. Bought the Norton 4k/8k option....then the rest of the same gear. Would have saved the price of one honing stone. I bought the 1k/4k option with the knife sharpening background mindset. Knifes being harder to get to a bevel set (usually a more hardened thicker steel than a straight/kami). I want to be able to completely be able to revive an edge, whether it came to me that way and I want to restore it, or if I muck it up (dropped/dinged/etc). That's the 4k/8k stone's purpose.

Now....if I only wanted to maintain an open edge blade that already works (as it arrived shave ready from a purchase, or from a professional honer), in my mind, I'd only need a 12k stone and a slurry stone, and of course strop gear.

Definitely a controversial, YMMV applicable topic. :)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    9nein9, Norcalnewb, jtspartan and 9 others like this.
  15. jtspartan

Thank you, Clint. I'm confident in getting the razor where I want it as well.

Norcalnewb, brit, Trigger and 4 others like this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Fantastic shave and photo Robert. R4L is a fabulous scent. One of the best Vetiver soap and aftershave I’ve tried.

9nein9, Norcalnewb, brit and 4 others like this.
  17. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Danny!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

18. brit

brit in a box

thank you Jason. i swapped out the original cap and handle. i had a really nice new lc with a damaged baseplate,but all plating intact,bent teeth.the top of the new lc and deluxe baseplate where the blade sits are near identical and the caps are the same.i then polished the new deluxe baseplate..all the original parts are clean,just plateless..the original topcap does look a little darker than the handle..

9nein9, Norcalnewb, Trigger and 7 others like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Danny!
    Thanks Jason! I cracked the glass on my phone screen a couple weeks ago, so when I recently replaced it I got the very same model from my Boost dealer. Gives me a spare battery and I assumed a short learning curve. Not so, but either the hardware or software is improved for the camera. More options including a multiple exposure HD feature for still pictures. It's still up to the operator to choose a subject and hold the durn thing still. Charlie @wristwatchb already sent me to school once. Now it's up to me.
    Thanks Andrew! I ought to get a lime tree planted in dad's orchard...
    Had a discussion with a Lady Barber about that. She uses off the shelf hair conditioner for the clear view. Let's her shave necks and get a straight line up easier.

20. brit

brit in a box

thank you Danny..it was a fantastic shave with decently priced products that work as the should..no need for fancy today..:)

RyX, Norcalnewb, Trigger and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.