Favorite Rubberset Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Rev579, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

For any number of reasons, we all have our preferences. What is your favorite Rubberset Brush?
    I have narrowed it down to a few:

BA206CA0-B598-4165-8E93-0AEC73F16695.jpeg 6AD6FD1B-A0FD-429F-8D61-F6435820DD8F.jpeg 80D25BED-79C2-4046-A2C9-265DE918EF05.jpeg 83C2C1CB-AD44-4FF5-8D91-1F5CA4FA8D55.jpeg 3AF858C9-32B9-4A59-BF19-7D6ED51A6D2A.jpeg 401D0B43-0DAA-40A1-A8E1-D3788D69475A.jpeg FF198DAA-C125-4551-86AB-2A8DB2899A2A.jpeg

A fella can dream. What about you?

2. brit

brit in a box

20190625_222935.jpg my canadian rubberset brush ..

AGHisBBS, Primotenore and RyX like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Beautiful photos David @Rev579 & Gary @brit!

I briefly owned a Rubberset 400 in less than NOS condition.
    R400 side..gif As pleased as I was to find that oxidized handle with a worn out knot, I just couldn't get it to polish up like a reproduction unit. Last I saw it, traded to a TSD Member in Japan. I've now got two replica 400's that were cut from billet aluminum instead of the original cast type. Love the styling and prefer the ease of maintenance of the repros. Having extra ferrules for hot swapping to different knots is a plus, too.
    B-400 WD HMB OPro98 APTux.gif

4. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, those are not my brushes, but borrowed images of brushes I have or really like that are Rubberset.
    I believe the “S” series(with the fishing fly), the little travel brushes and the 400’s are iconic.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's a never ending learning experience, this hobby. Can't say I've ever seen the S series in real life or photos. Either they were low production numbers, or Collectors are hoarding them. There are some guys making new handles in the old styles and that is one that could catch on. I recall a handle in that clear lucite (?) with small gears like an exploded mechanical wrist watch. Fairly sure it wasn't vintage.

I had hoped to link you to Oldschoolshavingbrushes.com, but the owner has closed the website. He had documented with words and photos so much history. I don't know how to find if anyone saved or mirrored the site. It was run by Jim @bladeshark, a TSD member.

brit likes this.
  6. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

That’s where I have learned a great deal about the vintage brushes. I’ve tried to download and save what I could.
    I’ll post my Rubbersets later.

brit and RyX like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I sent a PM to Jim @bladeshark about his website. Hoping there's a way to keep his data available. I don't know if the TSD servers could handle taking in that whole database, but I hate to loose access to the history.

brit likes this.
  8. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I offered to place it within my domain as well.

brit and RyX like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Huzzah! I was able to find some archived data. Check this page.

brit likes this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I hated the knot, but loved the handle of the Rubberset 300N. I have re-knotted 3 of them.

Here it is with an Omega boar knot.

chubbz3.jpg

11. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Here they are...
    2019 Rubberset Brushes.jpg

The two 15S brushes on the ends are the only ones marked. The Ivory colored ferrule brush is unmarked, as are the rest. The "Set In Rubber" brush is less likely to be a Rubberset, although I simply don't know. The little travel brush on the left is the oldest of my "Rubberset" Travel Brushes, with the exception of one Gillette that is a series older. This one matches a Gillette Combination Set Brush that has the knot removed.
    2019 Rubberset Brushes Top Row.jpg

The Albright brushes on this row are unmarked/unnumbered. The one on the far left looks to be Old Stock, but did not come with the box, only a metal container. The small Gillette brush missing most of it's bristles is the oldest of my combination brushes. Next to it is one which seems to match the "old" Rubberset Travel Brush above. No real information on the brush on the end. 2019 Rubberset Brushes Middle Row.jpg

This bottom row consists of an unnumbered 400, 200-2, 200-2, 510T, 49-3, 200-4 reknotted with a Maggard Razors 26mm Timberwolf Grey, and a Canadian made 500N. 2019 Rubberset Brushes Bottom Row.jpg

I know some of them look like heck, but I keep them as I find them until I actually get after them. I did not do that with my 49-3 or one of the Gillette brushes, but they needed what I did do.

preidy, AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  12. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

What size knot are you putting in them? It does look pretty cool, reminding me of the "Bill Squat" brush.

brit likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

awesome collection..i really like brushes with a clear base..those gillette brushes are cool..must find one..

14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

That one is approximately a 24mm knot. It currently has a different 23mm knot from an Omega 10029. The first one I did had an 18mm 2 band best from TGN and the second had an Omega Boar knot, but I don't remember which one. I had to use a rotary tool with a sanding drum to open them up. Only took a couple of minutes. I have the third brush I re-knotted. The other two reside with @stingraysrock.

stingraysrock, AGHisBBS and Rev579 like this.
  15. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

...and here, for everyone's viewing pleasure, from left to right are:
    Chubbz 1 and Chubbz 2!

IMG_20190628_181757-1024x1060.jpg

brit and PanChango like this.
  16. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Well Shazaam!

PanChango likes this.