Irritation on the neck and below the jaw

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Alex7, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Hello. I shave daily with 3 passes(WTG, XTG AND ATG). I get irritation below the jaw and on the neck. I use D'amaris shave cream or Palmolive shave cream, a Whipped Dog 22 mm knot silvertip badger brush, a Wilkinson Sword Classic(the one you get from the supermarket), a D'amaris aftershave https://www.emag.ro/after-shave-lotiune-d-amaris-barber-solea-men-115ml-gem-1629/pd/D65X0LBBM/ and a Gillete blue or red blade. No matter how smooth of a touch I use with the razor I get irritated. I also have problems with creating a lather. I apply the cream on he brush and then to my face, but by the 3'rd pass the lather is very thin. Any solutions?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Trigger, Terry, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Do you have to do the ATG pass? I stopped going for a BBS shave a long while back due to irritation. With two passes, I can get a DFS quality shave without irritation. I am the only one who can tell the difference anyway, it works well.

Trigger, wristwatchb, RyX and 5 others like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Another thought is check you angle on the razor. Try riding the cap.

Trigger, wristwatchb, RyX and 2 others like this.
  4. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

On those irritated areas make certain of the direction of hair growth.

Once I discovered my lower neck grows South to North, I realized my first pass in this area was actually ATG.

My priority is comfortable shave.

5. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Angle and pressure, angle and pressure.
    Technique trumps tools.

Trigger, wristwatchb, Lancre and 4 others like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

@Alex7 - You've been counseled by several members of The 30 Day Crew. (I'm one, too) If you'd like some feedback, coaching, and / or cheerleading stop in for a visit HERE. Every month we start a new thread, but the conversation never stops. The idea that Technique Trumps Tools is all about getting the best shaves from whatever gear you own. There are a number of things the collective brain trust have agreed can improve most anyone's shave. Ignore the guys gluing DE blades to their fingers - that's the Shenanigans portion of the program meant to keep the vintage Shavers trying new things. It's the New Shavers learning how to improve that keeps us entertained.

7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Ok Alex...

From what I've learned, there are two probable things that it might be.

1. Your technique is not quite up to par, so practice, practice, practice. To much pressure and/or incorrect angle on the first two passes will make the 3rd pass rough. Also correcting for beard direction growth is part of technique.

2. Your skin just might not like 3 passes, I can do 3 passes IF I correctly get the first 2 properly done. So I normally quit at 2.

Also, Shaving taking in consideration of beard growth makes a 2 pass shave very close.

Just my opinion.
    30DC is the way....
    Good luck!
    Keep up the good work.
    tp

8. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

I was having the same issues, the 30 dc helped a lot, I have had good luck with skin streaching and practice.

9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    All good advice so far. IF, I were to find one culprit for your issue, I would choose the ATG pass. This is the most difficult to perform correctly without causing irritation, because in all likelihood, you are removing epidermis as well as hair. First things first. STOP the ATG pass on the sensitive areas. Second, take the 30DC advice and let's get you shaving like a pro.

10. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

:signs011:

Trigger and Terry like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I hope you map your beard after 2 or 3 days growth to see grain pattern and I like to use a pass 2 1/2 pass system WTG + ATG + clean up = it works for me.
    Technique is so important like others mentioned and you are set with any Razor systems like DE,SE, and cartridge razors & of course straight razors.
    FullSizeRender.jpg Have some great shaves!