Where did IT go?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by RyX, Jun 26, 2019.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Lost information. It happens to everyone in this digital age. Used to be the hard copy photo albums were grabbed up during a weather emergency. You mother or wife made sure the kids photos got packed. Now that books are old school and you can Google anything we're safe! Not so my friends. It has come to my attention that historical collections of Shave Information has been lost to us. In another thread the subject of Rubberset brushes had me clicking a bookmark to Old School Shaving Brushes run by our member Jim @bladeshark. It used to be many pages deep with photos and text. As of June 7th of this year, there's only a front page.

For those more internet savvy than myself, maybe there is an archived copy of some or all of the information. I checked with the WAY BACK MACHINE, but that requires someone saving the web page before it's lost. As a community is there anything we can do? I'm interested in suggestions be they important web sites that ought to be backed up, or ways to do it.

2. brit

brit in a box

anything i have saved,which isn't much, i put on those plug in memory sticks..until i lose them of course..:love029:

Frijolero, RyX and Hembree like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I hear you, Gary. My first computer back in '96 had a 1.2 gig harddrive. We upgraded by adding 4 gigs. These days kids walk around with a terabyte in their pocket. My collection of family pictures from digital cameras and saved from websites is 1600 folders of almost 100K files. I added a terabyte external just to save movies for the grandkids. That was before Netflix streaming got so easy. I skipped over the burning to CD/DVD phase.

4. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

My first PC was win.98.se in '99. I think it was 4 gig. Now a win 10, 1T, i3 4ram. I wonder what will be next, In Brain, computer implants with a printer port under the arm pit. But anyway I think the way they save now in via Cloud, that's how my Chromebook saves stuff, I think. Personally I don't trust a cloud, so I put my important stuff on a USB Stick. Don't mind me I still type with two fingers, sometimes 3. lol
    P.S Just a thought. wouldn't it be nice if I could trash the computers, keep the landline phone and get a free Library card.

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  5. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

You gotta have back-ups of your electronic data somewhere.

Frijolero likes this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

My first computer used a tape recorder to store programs...
    Didn't save any of those files.
    Well...

tp

richgem, Frijolero and barbersurgeon like this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Not sure, but is this what you were looking for..........
    Vintage Razor Instructions For Download And Other Useful Stuff.

Frijolero likes this.
  8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I had a TRS80 that used cassette tapes!

BaylorGator, Frijolero and Terry like this.
  9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Light years ahead of my Timex Sinclair 1000.
    tp

Frijolero likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

TRS-80? I remember keying in lines of code to make the comp do a wolf whistle. Took too long for so little effect.

Just signed up to be a contributor at that Internet Archive site. My first submission is Andrew's @Linuxguile thread about his collection of Odd Injectors & Prototypes. Should TSD ever go down, that page is SAVED!

Frijolero and Terry like this.
  11. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

TI99-4A that could use a tape drive, I was maybe 12? Remember typing in BASIC programs then losing them in the saving process and not having the gumption to start over...

Have been Mac for ten years now. Hard to think about going back to pc land at this point.

Frijolero, RyX and Terry like this.
  12. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I started out with a VIC-20 myself. Built an adapter from a magazine article to connect a tape recorder.

Terry and RyX like this.
  13. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Oh man....
    I can just imagine our grandchildren....
    The first robot I had was a ......
    tp

RyX and Frijolero like this.
  14. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I think my buddy's commodore 64 was tape driven. Our first computer was an 8088 made by AT&T, no harddrive with a true" floppy" disk.

RyX, Frijolero and Terry like this.
  15. Frijolero

16. Frijolero

RyX likes this.
  17. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

victorobrador.com is being reframed here:
    Take a look to shaveopedia.com

RyX likes this.
  18. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

There is an archived hardcopy of much of the wetshaving enthusiast information. Here it is, no batteries required:

Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving - The Double-Edge Way
    by Michael Ham
    $11.95
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/151151583X/?tag=thshde-20

If you want to download an entire website, or an entire section of a website, to a folder on your PC, try HTTrack. It can be downloaded from https://www.httrack.com/.

RyX, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  19. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I remember those things! Man, that was a million years ago. Does Radio Shack even exist anymore?

RyX and Terry like this.
  20. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I know they went bankrupt, but they have came back in a small way.

RyX likes this.