July 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2019.

?

With all of the freedom in July, how will you be shaving?

1. With straights. Because I'm a real man.

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. With DE's. Because I'm a real man.

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. With SE's. Because I'm a real man.

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  4. With pain sticks. Because I'm a real real man.

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. With a combination of the above. Because I'm the realest man of all.

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  6. And yes - I will be joining on Cinco de Julio. Because I'm a real brave man.

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  7. And no - I will not be joining on Cinco de Julio. Because I'm a real smart man.

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  8. Can I please just have my cookies now? Seriously. I'm hungry. With ice cream.

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to July 2019!!! And what’s special about July? Why, CINCO DE JULIO!!!!!!!!!

Our old pal Slash McCoy shows off his popsicle stick razor shave that inspired a number of us two years ago to make our own and declare July 5th as the day we’d all give it a shot. If memory serves, nine or us tried it out the first year and all nine did survive and with no blood that I remember. Or can dig out of the history. Last year was equally successful so, for those who are so inclined, get a couple of popsicle sticks, a DE blade, a stapler and join us on Cinco de Julio for the second annual celebration of semi-insanity and shenanigans!!

Now, as always, there is no need to participate in that particular event. And, if you have no straight razor experience I might even discourage it. And, as always, any use of items not normally used in shaving to try and perform a stunt shave is not advised, suggested, nor approved by The Shave Den or any of those affiliated in it in an official capacity. Having said that, let us know if you’re joining in on the 5th!

As for the remainder of July? Why we’re in the middle of summer. Vacation time. Relaxation time. So it’s Just July. You decide on a theme for yourself or just enjoy your shaves your way. We are a month away from Adjustable (Arko) August so enjoy the 31 days to shave however you want without guilt or remorse.

Alright, with that out of the way, let’s proceed to the business of July 2019!!!

Welcome back or welcome for the first time!! Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

HEY! I said pause for revered silence! Ok, now you can proceed.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach. Anything that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines and serve as a starting point for the discussion each monthMost of all remember – this is about learning to use the tools and improving our skills so that TECHNIQUE TRUMPS TOOLS!!

Here are the rules. Those not following the rules will be subject to penalties to include a visit from Ivan or Igor to correct that stinkin’ thinkin’!

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Experienced Members also always welcome. Experienced can mean the old guys. Or not.
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. Any criticism of Russian steel of any kind will be met with swift and ferocious retribution. Ok, so maybe not so swift. The guys have to sober up first. And ferocious? Well, at least slightly uncomfortable to listen to. Plus their breath can kill charging bears.
    7. Any criticism of Feather blades is also subject to the same kind of almost uncomfortable retribution. The Yakuza has started mixing their sake with the vodka from the Cartel boys. Let’s just say it seems to have calmed them down.

Let's have some great shaves people! And let’s get it started with a group hug!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

2. brit

brit in a box

hello fello shavers, had a fantastic june..so july will be something a little different.. rockets.. rockets gentlemen..a few of them ..canada day tomorrow, independence day on the 4th..rockets it is, with the usual array of software and stuff ..see you here..gary 20190630_171400 (2).jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Screwtape, Paul76, 9nein9 and 19 others like this.
  3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Of course I'm in.
    I'll continue with my daily themed shaves. I think I'll join Blair @b1hart in a No Buy July. I do have a new brush handle, knot and razor blades on the way that'll arrive in July but the purchases were made in June, really, they were made in June.
    I'm looking forward to another month of fun and camaraderie!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Screwtape, Paul76, 9nein9 and 17 others like this.
  4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Looks like you're planning a great month of "rocket-ing" it out! Sorry, best I can do on a tired and overheated brain today.

9nein9, Douglas Carey, PLAla and 10 others like this.
  5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'll confirm that at least the handle was purchased in June. So nobody can call you out on THAT one.

6. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Wow, Gary! Beautiful collection of razors!

9nein9, Douglas Carey, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful razors Gary.

9nein9, Douglas Carey, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Douglas Carey, brit, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am in for Just Go With The Flow July. No real plans other than using what strikes my mood.

10. brit

brit in a box

thank you sir..all is grand..:)

11. brit

brit in a box

thank you sir..they have been getting dusty with my 2 month or so go with the oc's..will be throwing in a british crat or 2 as well..

12. brit

brit in a box

thank you Clint .the red cased canadian flat plate aristocrat jr is my favorite one..1948.. my first real delve into british gillettes..

13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm in for July :). I'm going to focus on the I word....Instruction. Why do I say that. Well, that's part of why we're here as a group in the first place, to throw in some tips here and there as we shave, but what led me to this focus was a couple reviews of triple-milled soaps, where they say to load the brush for 40-45 seconds, twice more than what I'm accustomed to seeing here ("20 seconds to load"). Makes sense to go 40, with the hardened soap. Well, that's just an example, but it's just to try strategies a little different than my current form(s). As we're now pretty much settled into the warm/hot months, I still expect to do more "can" shaving than with soaps, but I think I'll do a little more soap shaving than I did in past summers. That's what my "Judgement June" was all about-which soaps could work in the hot months. Course the Glacial SDM(Stoylin)is a nice addition. Anyway-with some great soaps/A.S. to look forward to as we get into fall&winter, I want to be sure to honor those products by doing a little better in the "instruction" department. Oh, and we can't forget the 3rd Nomination Day of the 2020 Stoylin Tony Awards. That's July 4....comin up. Happy July and happy shaving, everyone!!

14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I'm in for Just Shave July. I'll just shave with whatever strikes my fancy that particular day (except Cinco de Julio).

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Keeping with the Enders-Proline and Stahly-BIC (mostly) for July.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

9nein9, AlDm, Douglas Carey and 16 others like this.
  16. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

I am in also for July. I’ll be continuing my open blade obsession. The 30DC group is a great bunch of gentlemen, happy to be here.

I’ll be out on vacation for a bit, starting on Cinco de Julio, so I’m out on those shenanigans (phew!). Although...kind wanted to do something for MAYhem, maybe...Cinco De later (for me)?

And, for full disclosure similar to @jluc, I have 3 items I’m expecting in July. One will be here this week (Kamisori ordered in May), and the other two (western style straights) will be mid July, as they’ll get held at USPS until we return.

Back for more after tomorrow’s shave!

17. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Them are purdy!

18. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Am I allowed to use tongue depressors instead of popcycle sticks?

19. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I will be primarily shaving with my Dovo shavette and my straights this month. I will intersperse the shaves with my Rocky T, and my Fatboys. This is the month that I will commence honing some of my straights for the very first time and will be reporting on my progress.

20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I will be travelling for two weeks but while I am home I will focus on cold water shaves, well as cold as it comes out of the tap in July.

July 1 shave: It is Monday and no pic today. I used my Joris which is one of my keeper DE razors, loaded it with a Super Iridium and had an excellent and chilly shave. The Stirling Iced Lemon was a perfect choice for this hot muggy day.

Razor: Joris
    Brush: Etsy silver tip
    Soap: Stirling Iced Lemon
    AS: Fine Vetiver AS, Stirling ASB
    Scent: Chanel Platinum Egoïst

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.