Shavettes

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Mike-R41, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

I started WetShaving with a Classic Samurai Shavette. I know that seems pretty Intence and my first safety razor was the Muhle R41 what was your experience with a Shavette ?did you like it?how long did it take you to get proficient?

Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

It took many shaves to get comfortable with a shavette. I think I was fairy well set after a few weeks of using one. However, I have read that it can take up to 100 shaves, do just take your time and enjoy the learning experience.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mike-R41 and Keithmax like this.
  3. Mike-R41

I think it took me about 15 Shaves once I started getting it down. sometimes I’ll do two passes with my R41 then do my Touchups with my shavette. I only have the derby have plates for it what kind do you use

Keithmax likes this.
  4. Mike-R41

I left the blade in it one time and it started to rust . It is stainless steel that’s probably why I don’t know lol
    -mike

Keithmax likes this.
  5. Mike-R41

The one time I had the worst razor burn on my chin and another time I cut myself pretty bad. The time I had razor burn on my chin it was so bad it look like I had a bruise it was dark red lol

Keithmax likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

The start of my Shave Journey was similar. Bought what I though was a brand new straight razor but turns out was only suitable to spread butter. After too little time reading shave forums I found a shavette much like the one you have. Shortly there after a Fat Boy joined my den. I've gone back to the shavettes & SR's on occasion. Get my shaves most often now from a DE of one kind or another.

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I got curious about shavettes, ordered two inexpensive ones. Will post my results.

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I got a Luxor notched shavette. It is easy to shave with, however, I believe straights are easier.

IMG_5725.JPG

I got this one for Fathers Day. I have only used it once, but it is now in my Saturday straights rotation.

Kamisori_10.JPG

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

I think I have the very same two shavettes Jim @Jayaruh!

The Luxor takes 1/2 DE blades. There are two different versions I know of. One like mine leaves the ends of the DE blade exposed. The other type is slightly safer with a bit of a tab at heel and toe to keep those sharp corners from dipping. I've approximated the safety feature by muting, intentionally dulling the tips of the blade. It's a nice hefty all stainless construction. Hinge pin could use a tap & tighten on mine.

The second one I ordered from a Chinese company, Univinlions. I got the gold toned as it was the only option at the time. Since then they offer chromed like yours and gold, both with the makers name in frosted tones on one side of the head. They take Feather AC type blades, similar to Schick injectors, but a little longer. I prefer this second Kamisori type to the more traditional SR style with folding scales. Good balance, and the curve of the handle helps index the angle when shaving.
    SOTD 06162019 TSD Monkey Farts.gif

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I intend to tap and tighten the hinge pin on my Luxor, too, one day.

Edison Carter, RyX and Hembree like this.
  11. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

I started with a dovo long blade shavette. I started with easy parts of face like cheeks . Then finished shave with DE in a few weeks I could do whole face. Which easily and quickly transitioned to my first SR, shavette technique not really the same as SR. I recently bought a focus R21 because it was inexpensive. But prefer the dovo even with short blades. I occasionally and secretly use dovo shavette for touch up and detail work

12. RyX

RyX DoH!

The Dovo has different color inserts for 1/2 DE, Feather Artist Club, and the long Personna hair shaper blades? Nice that one tool can serve all three types.

No shame in using a shavette, no need to keep it a secret from us. Anyone who has spent some time with one knows how easy they can dip and catch heel or toe. Respect, Sir! While a SR shave is less likely to draw blood, there's so much maintenance involved. They are similar form factors, but not quite the same tool.

Mike-R41 and Keithmax like this.
  13. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

I like the 1/2 DEblades in shavette for some tight
    contours with less complications. I misplaced my 3rd insert......

Keithmax, Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  14. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I first started with the Dovo shavette using 1/2 DE blade. I enjoyed using it from the start and never looked back. At shave 16, I was able to shave my head. At that point, I knew that I could shave with a traditional straight and immediately ordered a Dovo Special 5/8 round point. Today, I have 79 shavette and 85 traditional straight razor shaves. It has been a wonderful ride!

15. Trigger

Hi Rick, my fellow 30 DC brother! You know I am going to chime in on this because I am a Dovo shavette devotee. Lol! Just to give out the correct info. There are 4 colored inserts. The clear and red use 1/2 DE blades, the black insert uses the Dovo long blades that need to be snapped in half and the green insert uses the Personna headshaper or Fromm blades.

Keithmax, Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Joe, my 30DC Brother! I've seen the Dovo Shavette at an actual Barbers Supply shop. Didn't remember the details. Glad you found this thread and colored in the details of my sketchy memory. ;)

Keithmax, Edison Carter and Trigger like this.
  17. Trigger

Rick, we always have each other's back my friend!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    RyX and Mike-R41 like this.
  18. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I was looking at them and they now offer Matte Black and Gloss Black versions as well. Because of my nerve damage and not being able to hold a straight razor well, this might be an option.

Edison Carter, Trigger and RyX like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Jim, the Luxor? I got mine several years ago and it's the less safe version. The ends of the 1/2 DE blade are poking right out there. Check with the guys in The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group to confirm the "safety" feature of the currently available Luxor. It has those ... like a round tip on a SR - tabs? They cover the ends of the blade giving a slight level of protection. Biggest issue I've encounter with any type of shavette has been on set down. Either heel or toe catching and digging in when the blade isn't laid flat against the skin.

If you were referring to the kamisori style shavette made by Univinlions, there are several Feather brand Artist Club blades to choose from. I'm using the Professional that is taller - extends out from the holder just a little more. There are at least two "safer" types. One is a shorter blade that tucks in, less exposure. There's also a blade with a textured edge that makes it harder to scrape or dig in.

20. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Ok, I was referring to the Univinlions shavette. A good deal at AliExpress.

RyX and Keithmax like this.