SOS July 2019

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by ram57, Jun 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Yeah. I figured for sure this set would appeal to your sense of style. The Rich Man shaving brush was the necessary final touch that I needed for the set. This one is so cool. I might transplant over my soap and splash of Catie's Bubbles "The Dark Side" to this razor/brush/stand combo.

I'm very surprised that "The Deal Maker" soap is discontinued. I had to order 2 'used' containers from ebay. It's a solid performing soap and it smells just like Fahrenheit. It's a shame it's not made anymore. It really should have taken off as a product. I'm surprised it didn't.

2. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary!

preidy, clint64, Boru62 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Number three of the three Napoleons in my den. A wonderful shave from the biggest blade I have. I refreshed it last night to level the playing field with some 3 micron lapping film, then 1 micron, followed by my Escher, some stropping, a little pasted strop, and some more stropping. :git:

At least for now, the pecking order is as shown at the bottom of this post. :happy036:

Today’s shave:

Hot water preparation
    T&H Ultimate Comfort PSO
    Jeff’s Lavender Mystic Water Soap
    Savile Row 3824
    John & Wm Ragg Napoleon 15/16
    Thayers Witch Hazel Rose
    John & Wm Ragg 15:16 TH MWL SR TWHR.jpeg

...top to bottom is the current ranking - interesting that it came out smallest blade to largest blade...
    John & Wm Ragg Napoleon pecking order.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

Str8on2, preidy, jimjo1031 and 17 others like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thank you, Gary.

clint64, brit and Douglas Carey like this.
  5. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Saturday 6th July

[​IMG]

Pears Glycerine soap
    Stirling Electric Sheep Shaving soap
    VIG Shaving 24mm Pure Badger Brush
    Focus R28 Slim Al with a Kai Blade
    Witch Hazel
    Palmer's Unfragranced Moisturiser
    Pinaud Lime Sec Cologne

2 passes and a touch-up for an excellent finish:)

Str8on2, preidy, jimjo1031 and 17 others like this.
  6. AlfredoT

AlfredoT Well-Known Member

It seemed a Ball End to me... :(

clint64, brit and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy096:

preidy, clint64 and brit like this.
  8. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Thank you Douglas!

clint64, brit, Boru62 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

07/06/19 Shave of the Day
    Face Wash with Ludington Glycerin Sandalwood Bar Soap
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements High Jump 47 Conditioning Shampoo Puck (W/ Yucca Root & Cider Vinegar)
    The Holy Black Trading Co. Ruby Red Creeper Tallow Shave Soap
    Wolf Whiskers RCE# 47 Custom Fluted DWW-3 25mm Black Wolf 3rd batch Synthetic hybrid/fan knot
    Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
    Smart Helix Apollo Stainless Steel Razor UA19028 Mild Setting
    Bolzano Superinox Blade - 7th Shave
    Shavex Alum Block
    Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel Astringent with Aloe Vera Formula
    The Holy Black Trading Co. Ruby Red Creeper Barrel Aged Aftershave Splash
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Mentholated Mysterium Serum Advanced Fragrance & Alcohol Free Aftershave Balm
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Cold Spices Natural Deodorant - New Sport Strength Formula

D IMG_5259.jpg

Str8on2, preidy, jimjo1031 and 18 others like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

i don't understand sir..gillette super stainless blade .the spoiler..?

AlfredoT and clint64 like this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Maggard AlumiGoose
    Blade: Feather Professional (5)
    Brush: Wild West Brush Works Diablo 2 Band
    Soap: Ogallala Bay Rum
    Aftershave: Ogallala Special Reserve Double Strength Bay Rum Cologne
    Bowl: Junichi Tanaka Lathering Bowl-Blue

Sticking with SE and Bay Bum this month. I ordered another Bay Rum Limes and Peppercorns. My friendly enable Guy (@ram57) mentioned that I would be very happy with this aftershave. Anyway, a great shave today. It's been around 100 *F here for this last few day, however, after a very long cold Winter there are no complaints fro me. Enjoy the Summer one and all!!!!!!!!!

6 7 19.jpg

Str8on2, preidy, jimjo1031 and 15 others like this.
  12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Everything is just STUNNING Steve. :happy096:

preidy, Smooth Steve and clint64 like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave sir..lovely pic..

clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks so very much Gary.

clint64, Boru62 and brit like this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    So...how was the shave, Steve?

16. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Ariana & Evans | Project C
    APShaveCo. Elegant Emerald | SynBad 24mm
    Durham-Enders | Enders Speed Shaver | Schick Proline B-20

[​IMG]

Project C thankfully returns a second time as a SFWS Facebook group soap. I passed on it last year, but after more experience with Ariana & Evans soaps, I decided to pick this up strictly for the performance coupled with a scent profile that seemed to fit my preferences.

The Ariana & Evans soap base is among the very best currently available. While there's essentially nothing upon which this base can improve, its most extraordinary attribute is the absolutely stellar post-shave.

This rich tallow base has plenty of ingredients that can potentially color a fragrance, but I find this is primarily evident upon cracking open the tub. Each one of them pours out a milky cocoa scent that, depending on the strength and character of the intended fragrance, may briefly bleed over into the first few moments of the shave. Knowing nothing about soap making, I suspect that after successfully duplicating a known fragrance, the artisans' biggest challenge is probably accounting for transformative effects of the soap base.

Project C is no different, but the ultimate results are that the soap simply mutes some of the more intricate notes, and given the nature of the delivery, there's simply not enough time to appreciate the development of a complex fragrance. The soap, in this case is a tease for what's yet to come by way of the splash.

Given this, I'm inclined to comment on my impressions of the splash first, and then I will explain what the soap is unable to convey. I used the splash on a non-shave day, and I applied it to my head and face immediately following a shower. I did this the day before I actually shaved with the soap. This allows me to more carefully scrutinize the soap later, since the basic profile, as my nose interprets it, has already been explored.

Project C opens as a familiar boozy cola but with a twist of bitter citrus along with an abrupt medicinal and perhaps metallic intrusion. This is eventually intertwined with a gentle spiciness and rose. The fragrance becomes more oriental with thick syrupy resin, moderately sweet florals, and cured tobacco, before giving way to dry woods and worn leather. The established sweetness prevails but remains guarded. Spicy vanilla and cardamom invade the dry down early, acquiring more spiciness with time. It's at this point in which the scent becomes more gourmand. This is followed by a brief resurgence of leather before settling back into a softer, sweet, powdery vanilla and rose. Just when the fragrance seems to have faded, the initial fizzy cola waxes and wanes.

While the boozy opening is enjoyable, it's been done. The real allure for me from Project C lies in the heart and protracted dry down. Certainly there's nothing groundbreaking about gourmand vanilla and cardamom and even leather, the delivery of which is what makes this particularly enjoyable to me. While I enjoy sweet fragrances, they're not always wearable for me. Project C perfectly rides this line and makes it a win for me. Over the course of a typical work day, I lost track of the fragrance after about 5 hours, but it was resurrected with the evening shower.

The soap surprisingly carries this fragrance well. The cola aspect is more citrusy and the cognac is perhaps more recognizable. Overall the soap is less sweet, the resin is softer, and the aldehydes struggle to pierce through. The gourmand vanilla and cardamom own the stage for the most part, but leather does play a role just prior to finishing up. I detect very little powder aspect in the soap.

Project C is apparently a dupe of Roja Parfums' Enigma pour Homme. After a quick search, I discovered it's a rather pricy fragrance, but if Project C is accurately reproducing it, I can't see how I can avoid picking up a retail bottle.

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thank you, Doug.

clint64, Douglas Carey and Boru62 like this.
  18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

The Sunday Way Of Things:

prep-Nivea 4 Men Bodywash(Energy)in shower
    shave-Gillette Foamy Menthol
    razor-Gillette Sensor Deuce Pivot DisposeABLE
    A.S. Clubman Reserve Gent's Gin

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:signs021: Picture and write up Matt.

clint64 and 120inna55 like this.
  20. Douglas Carey