Help me pick my next Simpson brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Rusty blade, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I am in the mood for yet another brush and I am looking seriously at another Simpson brush. I currently have the Simpson Special and it is a trooper, never failing to amaze. But it is lonely on my shelf for yet another Simpson brush. Any suggestions? (Keep in mind I am not a rich old man, just a poor simple man with extremely rich tastes). And I am leaning in the direction of a badger because you see, I am enough of a bore myself.

Enrico, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

simpson commodore x2 best badger.. under $100 and a fantastic lather builder.. nice on the face as well..

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I simply really like (A LOT) the Tulip, but since you wish to restrain yourself as I try to, I suggest the Keyhole; both beautiful and classic. Doesn't hurt that it on sale for well south of $100 at WCS.

:eatdrink013:

4. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I bought the Duke 3 Synthetic from WCS for about $65 after their 20% discount.

brit likes this.
  5. Campion

Campion Active Member

I don't know if you are still looking but the Duke 3 (best) is offered on Amazon again for $89 delivered. To my mind the D3 in best is the all around perfect badger brush in terms of size, feel. versatility, and price.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Save up a little more and buy a Shavemac, then throw rocks at all other brushes.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

So did you get a brush? :signs002:

:eatdrink047:

Campion and brit like this.
  8. jason.broander

jason.broander New Member

Simpson’s M7 in super would be a great choice. Either that or a Duke 3 in Best or 2 Band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

So many choices. I often wonder why Simpsons makes so many similar kinds of brushes?

brit likes this.
  10. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

You can get the Simpsons Chubby 2 synthetic on Maggard Razors for $89; $82 if you use their $7 discount code of 7off50. I just ordered that and they shipped it right away; with free standard shipping!

brit likes this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Because they are all different. If you face lather, pick a Duke or Chubby, since they have extra hair for stiffer backbone, otherwise just pick the handle shape you like best.

Edit: saw this post and swiped it:

"The Simpsons synthetic chubby is very unlike the badger one in that it's neither as dense nor comparable in face feel. That said it still is the best synthetic I have used (which includes the Fine, Muhle and Maggard amongst others). It has much more backbone than its peers.

As for the 58, it's a great brush meant probably for bowl lathering by Simpson standards but then again you can have lots of options for the price of one. You could look at Duke 3 for that 'Chubby' like feeling for lesser price."

brit likes this.
  12. Campion

Campion Active Member

I have over a dozen Simpson brushes. I use them all on occasion, but there are 6 or 8 that get used regularly. By trying them I learned that I really like the Duke 3/Eagle 3 size knot. I also use a mug a few times a week, so I have an Emperor 3 and a couple of M7s. Long handle with a knot similar in size to the Duke 3. Simpsons are expensive, but if you can be patient you can get them at a good price. If you decide you need a specific brush and you need it NOW you will often pay the 'sticker price.' But between Simpsons' own sales and the sales held by their 2 biggest US merchants a couple times a year you can, with patience, often get a brush for 40% or more off the 'sticker price.' During the Black Friday sale Simpsons offered all of their Manchurians at 50% off...for one day. That's a great deal. I missed it, but still got a Manchurian Chubby 1 at 44% off this past week. Dark tortoiseshell. I hope it made it off the island before they shuttered the shop for Christmas yesterday.

PLANofMAN, Angelo85 and brit like this.
  13. nav

nav Well-Known Member

+1

Out of the several Simpson brushes I've had, the X2 is the only one that remained in my den.

It's not only my favorite Simpson but my favorite badger brush! It's perfect in every single way!

brit likes this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

my only other simpson is a "special" in best badger.fantastic brush as well..these smaller brushes pack a wallop..

nav and Enrico like this.