My Stahly

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by richdad, Jun 16, 2019.

1. richdad

richdad Active Member

I mean it comes with a round safety bar. Lovely picture BTW.

Hembree likes this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Compared with its one piece stamped sheet metal contemporaries the Stahly head would have been a lot more expensive to manufacture in small quantity given its complexity (six tiny screws, separate round bars, plate, side pieces, and two leaf springs) . Not a big market beyond Father's Day for expensive razors

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    RyX and Hembree like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I picked one up not too long ago. I've been wanting to try one out for a bit now but just never got around to buying one. The vibrating handle works and in the second picture that is some mismatched vintage chromed handle I have that looks to have found a new razor head to go with when not using the vibrating handle. I think i am going to term this one Jenny Stahly Craig and the other with the vibrating handle Stahly Struthers.

stah1.jpg stah2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    RyX and jmudrick like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Is alignment ok? Things don't look straight in that second photo.

5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I haven't checked it out yet.

jmudrick likes this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I just loaded a blade and checked, everything looks straight and even.

jmudrick likes this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Ok good, cap appears to be sitting higher on one side in the photos, I guess an illusion. Can happen with the Stahly heads apparently.

RyX likes this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

:happy108::happy102::happy097:
    A Stahly Slant? That would be interesting...

jmudrick likes this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

BIC on it's second full head and face shave is at peak sharpness, just an awesome companion to the Stahly. I'll observe here the quality of the finish on the Stahly. This was a well used head, just a bit of Barkeeper's Friend and a hand polish and the chrome befits a $300 razor (which the Stahly was in 1941 adjusted for inflation).[​IMG]

brit and richdad like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I got to use Stahly Struthers finally. The vibration, I don't know if it improves the shave but it sure does make it feel like the rollers are actually rolling and not stationary. This one takes a little bit of effort to fully wind but when fully wound I can get a full pass done if I want to rush it. End result the shave is very mild and not very close for me, I can still feel stubble all over my face. I am going to put Stahly on a diet and try it on slimmer handle next and see how that compares.

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The Stahly IS a mild razor, which doesn't mean it can't deliver a close shave but it does require some pressure and more attention to angle than some others to achieve its potential. I'd keep at it before dismissing it as too mild, with a BIC it gets me almost as close as my Blackland Dart or Timeless Bronze which are completely on the other side of the aggressiveness spectrum.

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. riffin

riffin Active Member

It looks like something black far out of frame on the left reflected on the shiney head. Its slight diagonal with respect to the edge of the razor.