F.W.Engels. "Argo Steel". Restoration.

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DaltonGang, Jul 9, 2019.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

F.W.Engels
    "Argo Steel'

I have two FWE razors. One with a nice blade, that needs a little restoration. It also has non-factory bone scales. The other has a worn blade, and nice restorable FWE scales. I will attempt to put the nicer blade, into the nicer scales, and restore them both, as I go. I will post as I go along.

Donor Blade w/Bone scales on top.
    P7081064.JPG

P7081065.JPG

2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I look forward to watching the progress!

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

A little hiccup. After removing the blades, from the scales, with a Jewelers saw(Hacksaw), a small problem was revealed. The donor blade is a fraction longer than the other blade. So, the fitment of the donor blade causes the tip of the blade to hit the Wedge, in the scales. I have some small files, just for such an occasion. Plus, the donor blade came with a tiny chip in the tip, at the toe end. I planned on smoothing it out, when restoring the blade, anyway. So, just a little filing, inside the scales, on the wedge, then off to the blade work. I can always whittle the wedge down some more, if needed.

P7081067.JPG

P7081066.JPG

4. DaltonGang

It took a while to get the wedge, to where I wanted it. The tightest fit I've had. The scales were sanded from 400-2000, buffed out, then polished with Flitz.

P7081073.JPG

AGHisBBS, Keithmax, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  5. DaltonGang

The blade was another matter. It had heavy pitting where the rust was. So, the polishing only went so far. After that, I blued the tang, like it originally was. The photo makes it look lighter than it is.
    Next is the pinning.

P7081071.JPG

AGHisBBS, Keithmax, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  6. DaltonGang

Finished, as much as I wish.
    I do wish I had a belt sander, for knives/razors, so some of this deep pitting could be taken care of. Oh well.
    I had to enlarge the pivot pin hole, with a small hand drill. I need to order some smaller pins, and collars.
    The blade is perfectly centered, and snug. Next up, will be the stones, when I get around to it.

P7081074.JPG

P7081075.JPG

Karl G, M14Shooter, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

very nice sir..

8. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

The man does not mess around!!!!
    Nice work Scott.

Karl G, Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

10. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

11. DaltonGang

Thanks guys. It isn't NOS, but its mine.

Billyfergie, TestDepth and brit like this.