The almost sort of Comprehensive Guide to the Gillette Tech

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 9, 2018.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Or the much maligned "Microsoft Tech"...

*in a thick accent* "Hello, I am calling because you might have ze virus on ze computer. We just need to confirm a few details for our records. Can I get your full name, address, and credit card number please?"

2. brit

brit in a box

british flat bottom tech set 20190504_144429.jpg

Enrico likes this.
  3. Tinmantoo

Tinmantoo New Member

Thank you as I have added your dissertation to my database. Well Done!

brit likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm pretty sure it is black parkerized.

brit likes this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I read someplace that handles and caps done in black were just painted on. A Parkerized finish will look greyish or greenish, not a real black finish as I've had a few military items done that way, including Colt 1911's.

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Doesn't wear like paint on the Ebonized editions. It is grey when it wears.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  7. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

If the war time Gillette Techs were produced form 1938-45, and the date codes did not start on razors until 1950-51 (depending on who's date chart you look at); Then on many of the Contract Techs, what does the "S" above the "MADE IN U.S.A." mean? You don't see this type of letters stamped on any of the later Techs.

Older question I know, does not seem to be answered here... The search function and google are horrible for searching a single letter.

brit likes this.
  8. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have a British Flare Tip Rocket. it has no date stramp, just the letter "S". I have never figured out what the letter "S" meant.

brit likes this.
  9. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

One of my favorite Tech's due to it's heft. 1960's British Tech with a brass herringbone style handle and non-diamond "Gillette" marking on the cap. Total razor weigh is 61.8 grams.
    IMG_5083 (2)-COLLAGE.jpg

10. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Thank you

brit likes this.
  11. José Santos

José Santos Active Member

Hi
    I bought this Tech and it should arrived on friday. Can you help me with the model? I think its a Tech S4. But I never saw a kit with this metal box.

Thanks

Attached Files:

brit likes this.
  12. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

It looks like your basic Tech from the '60s onward. The metal box is a blade case/safe and were phased out after the introduction of the blade dispenser (Speed-Pak) in the late 1940s. That particular one is an early style from before WWI and would have originally been included with an Old Type.

brit likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

the metal blade bank looks like an old type one from 1920s..the tech is from the early /mid 70s.. very cool..

14. José Santos

Thanks! To be honest I bought it to get the box =) but I never thought it was so old. When they arrive I will take more pictures. Thanks again!

brit likes this.
  15. José Santos

So my "Frankenstein bundle" arrived today!

Love my new Gillette blade metal box! And I need your help! The plastic box belongs to this metal box? Its a perfect fit. But I've been told by member "brit" that the metal box is from 1920's, and the box is in a very good state for that era.

Which razor belongs to this box?

And finally the Gillette tech is made in england, 30g of weight, and is marked x-2. So I believe its from 1977 right?

Thanks for reading and kind regards.

Attached Files:

brit likes this.
  16. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

IMHO, The English 50's all brass ball end tech is the best Tech ever made and possible the best razor ever designed.

It is a simple, robust and utterly efficient design. The English manufacturing in the 50's was top-notch and it shows when you pick this up. The case is well designed as well.
    Shave wise, it is every bit as good as the #66 and #70 Aristocrats who it shares its lineage with.
    The solid brass handle feels fantastic to use as well, although the aluminium versions are not bad either.
    It is a triumph of design and manufacture.

Mine is getting on for 70 years old and is as good as new still.

[​IMG]

This is mine (#24?)

bartje-p, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That's a nice bundle you picked up. :happy088:

That looks like a Merkur box; though now they're more more commonly made in black for the Merkur 45 bakelite razor.

MRK016-set-Merkur-bakelite-travel-safety-razor-case-720x720.jpg

Edit .... I just realized the Merkur 34c came in a white plastic case.

71y3etw+G8L._SY355_.jpg

Great British Tech you got as well.

:eatdrink013:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    brit likes this.
  18. José Santos

So I got a 20's metal blade box, a merkur plastic case and a 77 Gillette tech? XD I only wanted the metal blade case, but the guy insisted this belonged all together... =)

brit and Enrico like this.
  19. John Ruschmeyer

It was probably somebody's go-to shave kit circa 1980. The metal blade safe would have been a big improvement of a cardboard tuck of individually wrapped blades and the Merkur case looks like it would be a good travel case.

brit likes this.
  20. John Ruschmeyer

I need to get a 50s British Brass one sometime; the only one I have in that style is an Aluminium one which I have something of a love/hate relationship with.

OTOH, a British Flat Bottom Tech is my idea of heaven. :)

PLANofMAN, brit and BlueShaver like this.