Best Way To Melt Shave Soap Puck Into Glass Bowl

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by redmed, Jul 11, 2019.

1. redmed

redmed Member

Last year I took a puck of Van Der Hagen and melted it into a small glass bowl. I used our microwave to do this. I was very careful and only only applied heat/rays until I saw the soap starting to foam. In the end this worked out great and allowed me to bloom the soap with only a small amount of water. I did this last year while my wife was away for a couple days. Today I tried to do the same thing with a Palmolive shave stick with disastrous results. We have a new microwave and I can not see what is happening like in the old microwave, so I had to guess how long to apply heat. Well, after a few short bursts I ended up with a huge pile of foam, a shattered glass bowl and a pissed off wife. I'm now banned from using the microwave or oven to try to melt my soap into another bowl and have endured multiple lectures about the soapy smell still in the microwave.

Now how do I melt my soap without the use of a microwave or oven? I have a puck of soap in a glass bowl sitting in the sun, but it does not look like this is going to melt the soap.

Frijolero, Hembree and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Lessons learned? With some research of those that have come before, and my own experience here's some guidelines. VDH is a glycerin soap and can be gently melted in a microwave to melt and conform to a shave bowl. You did good there. Short bursts until the puck slumps is the trick. Tallow based soaps are another matter. Over heating, or maybe any heating at all with affect the substance, may damage it. Possible to form grainy crystals from the fats in the soap. If you aren't sure the easy and safe method is to cut or grate the puck or stick. Place it in the container, mash it down. If you are unhappy with the way it fills the dish add a minimal amount of hot water to further melt the soap. This is also the time to add scent to soaps. I've done it with Aqua Velva AS and Modern Williams soap. Let it dry. It's that easy.

Some soaps like the shave stick Palmolive, Tabac, or ARKO are soft enough to mash into a dish with no heat or water needed. Many Artisan soaps referred to as croaps for their cream/soap consistency are not allowed time to cure or dry so they are also soft enough to mold into other shapes without needing heat or hydration to loosen up.

DesertTime, jaro, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  3. redmed

redmed Member

Thanks, Thinking about what you tell me. Why didn't I just mash that Palmolive into my favorite bowl? It is soft enough. Now I'm minus my favorite bowl. I also agree with the wife.. I don't like the smell of Palmolive. Now I need to visit our local Goodwill and Volunteers of America and find another soap bowl.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Frijolero and RyX like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Have to agree about the scent though. Not my favorite but it does give good lather. Hindsight and 20/20 on the broken dish and lingering odor. Fortunately thrift stores are well stocked with the odd small soon to be soap dishes! I keep my Palmolive in a Rubbermaid snap tight lid container. It's high on the right either on top or under the ARKO.
    Stacked soaps.gif

brit, Frijolero and Hembree like this.
  5. redmed

redmed Member

I agree. I used the Palmolive as a stick & rubbed some in the bottom of my lathering bowl this morning. I was surprised with the amount of lather it produced.
    The glass bowl that broke was a perfect fit for my matching lathering bowl. The lathering bowl sat on top of the soap bowl just right on my sink counter. Now I need to find a another matching pair.. or .. if I get lucky I will find a few matching soap bowls since I have plans for a few new soaps I'm going to try; A new Williams puck coming tomorrow. A slightly used 1970's Williams puck I found looking thru my old shaving stuff for a bowl. Another Palmolive shave stick and a Pears soap bar from the Dollar store. If I can't find matching glass bowls for the soap I'll probably use some rubber containers for these, like yours, but then need to clear out some space in one of my drawers. Making space will be a traumatic experience I'm sure. That will require me to get rid of something I found necessary at one time.

RyX, Linuxguile and Frijolero like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's good stuff! I found most of a stick of vintage Williams at an antique store. At the rate I'm using and sharing it, it'll only last a couple more years.
    Are you dealing with the His side / Her side of the sink discussion? I shave at my kitchen sink. Higher counter surface, top of the microwave cart & my very own upper cabinet for storage. I've claimed that territory and won't give it up without a fight! That didn't come about for thirty years while I was married. Now divorced, but sharing the house with daughter and three young grandkids. They know Pawpaw has "his ways" and put up with most of my stubbornness. The 8 year old twin girls also like to sniff, sample, and wear many of my AS so it's me sharing.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  8. redmed

redmed Member

I have my side of the bathroom cabinet (3 drawers) and have declared exclusive use of the room while shaving. It is supposed to be my time of quiet and calm. I was able to make this claim due to the fact I shave both my face & head. A few times when she came in I nicked the back of my head (each time behind the ear) each time I made it a point to say "Look what you made me do". The guilt and blood has provided me some exclusive time in domain that is usually hers. I also cherish this time and will spill more blood to defend it.

9. redmed

redmed Member

Primotenore and RyX like this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I have always said to my GF, when I'm shaving, I don't want to be bothered. At times when it has happened, I have the tendency to close the bathroom door real quick behind me. And I'll always here "oh yeah, you're shaving" as she walks back down the hall.

Paul Turner, Frijolero and brit like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

yup..wifey knows to leave me be when i am shaving..:):)

jimjo1031 likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    FYI, I have done this at least 4x with my vintage Williams and even a really dried out AdP remnant. Results were astounding. There is a requisite drying-out period.

Frijolero likes this.