How old is this razor?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Rosevelt, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Rosevelt

Rosevelt New Member

Good evening gents,

Can some one please point me on the right direction on knowing what kind of razor I just found? I would like to know how it looks originally so that i can restore it to it's original condition

Thanks for tour help

Attached Files:

2. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Are there any markings on the reverse side? The design on the scales would seem to indicate an Art Deco motif. As such, I would place it in the 1920s to 1930s. If there are no markings on the reverse side, it might be a souvenir razor from Solingen itself. I would say that it might be a contract razor, but generally, the name of the firm who contracted it would be on the front side of the tang. If the word(s) Germany or Made in Germany are not on the tang, that would reinforce, at least in my mind, the notion that it is a souvenir razor which was not intended to be exported into the US. There also appears to be quite a bit of pitting and hone wear on the blade. I don't think you will be able to restore it to its original condition because of the pitting and hone wear, but you might be able to clean it up enough to make it an attractive part of your collection (if you don't have one now, trust me, you will have one soon. :happy102:)

Karl G likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I will agree with @Rkep01 , it will not be able to be restored to its original state. The blade is excessively worn. I wouldnt even try to hone it, even if restored. Ist would look better if you sanded, polished, and stuck on display somewhere.
    Have you ever restored a straight razor before?? If so, perhaps you could save the scales, restore those, and find a nice looking donor blade, to swap into the scales.

Karl G likes this.
  4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

No restoring to original on that one, you can’t put metal back on. Best to save the scales and find a really nice blade for them. The scales are beautiful. Agree that it’s probably between the wars, say 1926-1934 or thereabouts.

M14Shooter and Karl G like this.