After about two months I learned something

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Suhrim21, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

I cannot hone razors with a coti or jnat. I have yet to be able to get an edge that will even produce a Simi usable edge. I give up. I'm going to try with full synthetic stones once I can afford to get them. This is so discouraging and frustrating. I've watched hours and hours worth of vids. Tried everything and cannot get a freaking edge to save my life. And the sad thing is I can hone pocket knives and kitchen knives no problem. You have to hold the angle yourself. A razor you lay it flat. It shouldn't be this d@mn hard.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Its all about the pressures.

Steve56 likes this.
  3. Suhrim21

I use very light pressure. Then at the end a few laps with no pressure.

4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    You are watching the wrong vids :D

You must set the bevel Period end of story
    You MUST use enough Torque and Pressure to set the bevel but not flex the edge..
    Watch the ripple of water at the front of the edge, it MUST either be pushed by or ride up on the blade, if it goes under the edge then you are not honing the edge
    The pressure and torque required to do that will automatically lessen as the edge gets sharper

Truth:

The bevel set is 90% of the work on the edge
    Sharpening is about 9%
    Finishing is about the last 1% that we spend all our money on and most of the time on here arguing about

Truth:
    A properly set bevel and 20 laps on a leather strop should surprise you with just how good it shaves, Really !!!

5. DaltonGang

Sounds like you need to sit down with someone who knows how to properly hone a hazor, to watch and learn.
    What are do you live in? Maybe a member is close and would be willing to help you.

Edison Carter, TestDepth and gssixgun like this.
  6. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

I agree with Glen. If you are trying to sharpen without first setting a bevel, you'll spend hours and hours and get nothing but a sore arm and head. BTW, Glen has some excellent YouTube videos on honing.

DaltonGang and gssixgun like this.
  7. Montalvani

Montalvani Well-Known Member

With a 1k stone we can set the bevel. But setting the bevel even in a 1k means that the razor will top tree, shave arms and legs just coming from the 1k. If it doesn’t do that then it’s worthless to progress further ending stones, but if it does your razor is up to work, finishing stone, past or just stopping and a week or two of continued shave stropping between pass if needed and your razor will utmost sharp (of course if good steel and good tempered)

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Edison Carter and Primotenore like this.
  8. Suhrim21

I'm going to try with a razor I won't shave with because of a micro crack on the edge. But I'm going to try working the 1k better and see if that helps.

Also how quick do king 1k stones get out of level.

Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  9. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Not fast enough to be concerned with. :)

Razor work is REALLY Light Duty when compared to Knives and Tools also if you watch some of my vids you will see that I do about five Figure 8's on each hone before I start, that keeps it fresh and flat

10. Suhrim21

I need to get a flat tile sandpaper and a level.

Does anyone have a link to the cheapest level you would trust to be able to check the king is flat? I'm not wanting a level that may or may not be flat. I want one that is good but I need the cheapest one that is good.

Wish I could make a post in the market place so I could offer a trade for stones and lapping plates.

11. DaltonGang

Just go to Lowes, or Home Depot, and get a few granite tiles. Then some 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper, and go at it. You can use a pencil, or Sharpie, to make a grid patter on the stones, then lap until the grid marks are gone.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  12. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Better to use a pencil. Sparpies are too hard to find.

Primotenore likes this.
  13. DaltonGang

Sharpie. Smarty pants. I fixed it. :D

Terry and Primotenore like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Sometimes, if a lot of lapping is to be done, I use a Sharpie. The pencil marks can come off, prematurely, needing to be reapplied often.

15. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

:happy102:

16. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    If you are going to take on honing what you need is a Diamond plate at around 325-400 grit

I have had great luck with my DMT 8C for the last 12+ years because it does way more than just lap and refresh..

There are many more brands out there too but keep in mind they are not all up to the other tasks that the DMT can be used for

Be cognizant that using Wet-r-Dry sandpaper has a downside of embedding grit into hones, there is nothing worse than getting to the end of a honing session and seeing a huge deep scratch from an errant 320 Grit appear in that nice smooth bevel to wreck your day :(

Primotenore and Rkep01 like this.
  17. DaltonGang

I use the Norton flattening/lapping stone. Works great on most things, so far. I havent tried the DMT plates, for lapping.
    I think @Suhrim21 was trying to go as least expensive as possible.
    I did a check on the Norton flattening stones, and you can get them for a little over $20 on ebay.

Rkep01 likes this.
  18. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

I, too use the Norton flattening stone and it's worked very well for me.

19. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    I just happened to see one at Home Depot

DMT D8C = $42.52 in-store That is pretty cost-effective over time

I also used the Norton one for a couple of years until it finally wore out

DaltonGang likes this.
  20. Suhrim21

I want the dmt plate but think I'll have to start with wet/dry sandpaper and granite tile.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Once I get the tile and wet/dry sandpaper I will make sure the whetstone is flat and try the suggestions to see if I can get a good shave from a razor.