Why I hate "which razor is better" posts

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by PLANofMAN, Nov 26, 2018.

1. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

For the past 3 months, this has been my new favorite razor, and blade. And that's the truth. :)

Attached Files:

Hembree and Tallships like this.
  2. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I've lost most of the pieces of my mind years ago, I think I have a few left, then again maybe not. :)

MacDaDad and Hembree like this.
  3. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Now that's what I call a great razor, bought mine in '63 for $1.98 and have been loving it ever since. That razor will last you a lifetime, enjoy it. But I always like to use a Wilkinson Sword in mine.

MacDaDad likes this.
  4. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

What happens when you run out of pieces?

MacDaDad likes this.
  5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

The problem with your very generous technique of hooking up newbies is, most new to wet shaving shavers don't have the skill needed to get good shaves from mild razors. I'd say better to start with a razor open enough to give then a good shave. Then they're hooked. They may knick themselves some but, who doesn't(at least at first anyway). I'm really liking the r89 or de89 head. It's a good starter. Once they develope skill, then they can appreciate a milder razor.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  6. MacDaDad

That's what's referred to as losing your mind.. ;)

7. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

Good point. What I do is teach them to place the cap against their skin and keep tilting the razor until it's cutting. So far, that one instruction has seemed to do the trick.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  8. MacDaDad

How's that done with a Gillette "New Improved" ? :lyrtuy5:

9. Carson West

Mac, I don't understand.

10. MacDaDad

When I use my New Improved, keeping the angle off the comb is touchy but playing with the cap side for me would be a bloodbath. ;) YMMV

11. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

You should always aim to ride the cap. Can tame any razor handle that way.

brit and MacDaDad like this.
  12. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself, my first double edge was pif'd me from a member of another forum. It was a Razorock EJ DE89 clone. So super mild. My very first shave with it was better than any shave I had had from a cart in 40 years. So I was hooked immediately. Sure, there was some bloodshed later on as I worked on my technique but I would hate to think what would have happened had I used a razor with a larger blade gap and saw tons of blood. I might still be using carts. Thank god I'm not. And now that I have several years of practice I can really appreciate what a more efficient razor can do. I'd say best to start mild and work up from there.

13. MacDaDad

But I don't own a styptic pencil. :)

14. david of central florida

A psychic pencil writes the future, wooooo.....

MacDaDad likes this.
  15. david of central florida

I appreciate what you say, but honestly in terms of technique, more aggressive is not up. I think of it like a shotgun choke, open is easier, full choke gives a narrower shot pattern, but hit harder(more pellets in target) and extends range. The mild razor requires better technique to get a close shave, but done right also gives great comfort.
    Once the edge is in contact with skin, and stays there, the game is over. (Until tomorrow) they just become holders of the blade. The trick is to keep the edge on the face with minimal pressure to remove hair not skin.

MacDaDad likes this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My new favorite razor is the Enders Speed Shaver with a Schick Proline blade. I modified an old Enders blade to be a carrier for the Proline blade. Awesome shaves so far.

sod190717b.jpg

Paul Turner, MacDaDad and brit like this.
  17. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I don't know the first thing about shotgun chokes...so...

MacDaDad likes this.
  18. Carson West

Of course we can't tell anyone which products will work best for them, but I think we can get them off to a good start. I've introduced several guys and one lady to wet-shaving with a safety razor.

I think it's always a good idea to start someone out with a mild razor (as opposed to an R41). I'll lend him a Wilkinson Sword Classic. It's mild, and it's inexpensive and made of plastic, so I don't have to worry about mistreatment. Then I'll give him two kinds of blades: Astra SP and Gillette Sharp Edge. I'll lend him a RazoRock Bruce synthetic brush (inexpensive, easy to use, and one of my favorites) and give him a couple sample-containers of shaving cream, which is easier for a beginner to lather than soap.

Most importantly, I'll give him a five-minute lesson in wet-shaving. I'll ask him to keep all the gear if he decides to continue wet-shaving and to return it if not. So far only one of these people has decided to resume shaving with carts, and most have offered to return my stuff after buying their own.

Finally, I give him a list of sources of more information he may want like this wonderful forum and Mantic 59.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    PLANofMAN likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I try to refrain from doing loaner brushes. There's a small risk of getting tinea barbae when you start sharing brushes. If you do loan out brushes, you need to sterilize them. Soak just the bristles, not the handle in a barbacide solution for 2-4 minutes and rinse thoroughly. I also do this for used brushes I've purchased from fellow den members or eBay.

MacDaDad, Shaver X and brit like this.
  20. MacDaDad

Think garden hose and nozzle. :D

PLANofMAN and DrStrange like this.