Anyone identify this English shaving brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by oldjoe, Jul 18, 2019.

1. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Here is a really nice looking brush with an outstanding knot. I wonder who could have made it and I wonder what the material is that the handle is made of? The hair is badger and appears to be of very fine quality and very dense. The brush looks unused. The handle color is a dark tan. After this post I intend to try the brush out. The pill jar is in the background to help show the size. The brush is small but not tiny like a Wee Scot. Thanks for your opinions!

Attached Files:

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and RyX like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

3. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think Plisson as the brush says made in England? Maybe Rooney, Maybe Simpson, or maybe some other manufacturer of high quality brushes as this brush oozes high quality. It really is simply beautiful looking. The handle is clearly imitation Ivory? I also wonder the year of manufacture?

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Rooney! That is what I was thinking, but could not recall the name.

5. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Rooney sounds feasible and especially because no name is marked. Just my o. of course! I wonder about the handle material along with the manufacturer? does anyone have a brush that is similar in marking and handle construction? That would help with identification. The brush really is very nicely made with a very compact and fine quality badger knot! Can't wait to try it out. I am not collector. Too old for that!

brit likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

classy brush..

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I think you're going in the right direction with Rooney or a possible team up with Simpson. Another possibility would be Kent or Culmak.

The lettering looks very much like Simpson, but Rooney has been known to produce more in the imitation ivory than many others.

As to the dating, I would say the 40's or 50's.

BTW it's a beauty!

:happy096:

Boojum1 and brit like this.
  8. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Its a model 884 Best badger.

No need to thank me :)

9. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I guess no one really has a firm idea as to who manufactured this brush, model 884 best badger and I can live with that. Now for me--- on to using it!

Enrico likes this.