Straight Boar Knot

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Rev579, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I am trying to find a recommendation for a straight boar knot. This will be to restore a very old shaving brush, the depth of the brush allows approx 9mm(8.98mm) and the throat of the ferrule is 17.35mm, making me think a 16mm would work. Also, I would like to limit the loft to 48mm, but 46mm-48mm is the target.
    From what I can tell, based on my little brushes, it would need to basically be the knot in the little Rubberset/Gillette Travel Brushes. The Wee Scot might work, but I can't tell. The ER 200CC are too big and likely require too deep of a seating.
    I am waiting to post a picture of the handle until I can do a before and after at the same time.

RyX likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have no experience with their products, but The Golden Nib offers a 16mm knot.

3. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

That is what I have been looking at, but I am waiting for a little more input from others.

RyX likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

If you get feeling experimental, find a new paint brush labeled "China Bristle". That the same natural stuff we shavers use to make lather.
    4 inch china bristle brush.jpg

Rev579 and brit like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Someone needs to experiment with one of those paint brushes. Take it apart, and make a knot out of it. So, thanks for volunteering @RyX . :D

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Rev579, brit and RyX like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I would be following in the footsteps of Member Patrick @9nein9! Don't know if he totally disassembled down to loose bristles, or used the glue bump straight from the recycled paint brush. I've looked at new brushes sold by my local home improvement stores. They arrive with tips already split and soft. At the time I needed a large bore knot for a R-400 replica so went with a new Omega donor.

Rev579, brit and DaltonGang like this.