What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Pretty cool Tom!

I’m AWOL again, maybe the title of this post should be ‘What did you lap today?’ I’m on a lapping marathon.

Last night, 4 Shapton Glass, 3 HR and 1 HC, a barber size asagi, a bench size hard kiita, and a two 60-cut stones a hard asagi and my Nakayama ‘pre-finisher’. 8 stones total.

So far today, a vintage maru-ka, an Aiiwatani ‘pre finisher’, a hard suminagashi asagi, plus a small travel stone.

A lot more to go. Fun, fun, fun. But necessary to do a couple of times a year.

Timwcic, Keithmax, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

@Keithmax you are not the only one to say that. Makes me want another stone... Which I need like a hole in the head.

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs136:

4. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

A relaxing honing session,
    Bonita razor
    Llyn Idwal
    Dota Creek
    and finished on a slip of a Charnley Forest
    and sea chanteys by a Sealpoint on a squeezebox.
    [​IMG]

PLANofMAN, Timwcic, Frijolero and 6 others like this.
  5. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Decided the last shave with the heljestrand mk133 was not quite good enough. Brought out the ozuku and started with a koma then finished on the tomo nagura.

A3482288-116B-4122-9394-CDACCD43BD36.jpeg

6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

DDF00BC6-E350-4E37-A357-1020A9FB6C28.jpeg

Show down with two softer stones. Usually stones as soft as these struggle a little with making a smooth razor edge, but not always. I flattened these during my recent flattening marathon and decided to give them another try with full prep on both the stones and razors. Gold Dollar 208-3 and 208-7 were taken to the Shapton 4k and Aiiwatani prefinisher, then 208-3 was honed on the big blue asagi on the left and 208-7 was honed on the chocolate stone on the right. Same tomo for both. Shave tomorrow!

Timwcic, Frijolero, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

0C606795-1E52-4E37-9D31-6BD821DC8742.jpeg

Touched up my 6/8 Manaslu M-100 on ‘the boulder’. It’s big and hard, mean and green (not really, lol, well it is green), and fine. No doubt to the finishing quality. The Manaslu or my Filly Sub Cero edge test will be standing by in case the Gold Dollar edges aren’t up to my shaving expectations.

Timwcic, Frijolero, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  8. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

I've had quite a few in this week, these are the last batch of 4 finished today, 4 razors 3 Kamisori razors including one western-style Kamisori, all needed a complete bevel reset, starting with the Chosera 1K through the progression finished on the Suhiero Gokumyo 20K.

DSC_0208.JPG

Timwcic, Frijolero, brit and 6 others like this.
  9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

063B6117-FC45-4204-BDBD-D8A6548D0FBF.jpeg

Another throwdown, comparing two Nakayama kiita, an almost 4 pound stone on the left and a pretty little true kiita koppa on a removable stand.

Same test razors, 208-7 on the small stone, 208-3 on the large one, same tomo nagura.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  10. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Touched up the Heljestrand Mk10 to see how far the convex ark can push the edge.

C68A03BE-4805-4697-A6B6-65C6A225F1B7.jpeg

PLANofMAN, Keithmax, Timwcic and 7 others like this.
  11. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Getting a couple of friend’s razors back into use. A little blade restore, a little fun with Rub N’ Buff, and off to the hones.

Naniwa 1/4/8k progression and then off to Thuringian. Two layers of tape for the unknown Sheffield near wedge and one for the Case.

870FCC57-6F5B-49F9-BF6E-8072A24B05B1.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

Keithmax, Timwcic, basil and 5 others like this.
  12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Aaannnd.... How far could you push it? Inquiring minds want to know! Lol.

13. basil

basil Well-Known Member

After my shaves I’ve been using this convex ark to maintain my edges, much like someone using a balsa with diamond.
    I noticed some slight improvements to the edge the first 2 times, but after that I didn’t see any improvement.

I have decided that I could probably touch the razor up after every 2/3 shaves and still end up with the same results.

Either way the ark has helped me push my edges past what they were and that’s a win in my books.

14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

06953481-3805-4E41-80BD-2570434FB239.jpeg

Yep, any time that you can see noticeable improvement counts as a win @basil

I did a redux of previous hones with these two big boys, they’re about 3.9 pounds each, so that’s almost 8 pounds of Japanese real estate there. The idea was to give the edges a few licks on light slurry to recondition the edge since both razors just had one shave on them, then add clear water strokes to see if that improved the edge. The razor felt different on clear water, the blue asagi developed light stiction at about 20-25 strokes, while the Nakayama kiita developed full blown suction at about the same number.

TBH, I couldn’t tell a lot of difference as I use light slurry to finish anyway, and the edges were pretty much indistinguishable from each other. The shave was dolphin smooth.

15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

B309D3F3-0689-4AB4-9B12-7095542A3CBC.jpeg

My friend David over at Nash Vegas sent me a 5x2 coti in trade, and I got it lapped and smoothed - the coti side is HARD! then tried out this Manaslu 100 with a shave-ready jnat edge. So I just went straight to running water then finished with a little dish detergent. Stropped 20 Tony Miller flax linen, 35 Kanoyama suede, then 65 Kanoyama cordovan. Silent HHT root in or out. I wondered if I had removed the jnat edge and got out the loupe. The bevel looked like a 6k scratch pattern, so yep, that’s a coti edge, lol!

16. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Gotta love a coti edge!!

TestDepth, Steve56 and Edison Carter like this.
  17. basil

basil Well-Known Member

This razor came in today. Needed to set the bevel so used my Takashima with a Botan slurry followed by Tenjyou to polish things up. Will take it to the finishers later.

223C7863-B8BE-4BB8-AA09-CB2946535F75.jpeg

18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

5CCA7A5C-3052-4C0F-943E-9AC15F064F66.jpeg

Taking the new coti for another run, this time with heavy mineral oil after running water strokes. The razor is a Hayashi 1072 and bevel looked better and the shave was excellent, really, really, smooth. Still not quite as close as a good jnat edge, but the difference is really, really small. I’ve been told that you can use a bit more pressure with a coti edge. This is the first coti I’ve used that could get close to a jnat edge though my coti friends tell me that it’s very possible. Unfortunately it seems to come down to finding the right one by trial and error, just like jnats, lol.

19. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Yeah my cotis don’t really compare to a jnat edge. They are close but not as sharp. But either way great success with the coti!

Edison Carter and Steve56 like this.
  20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yep, not as sharp, but very smooth. And as you say close. The fellow I got it from has been into coticules for a decade or more, loves them and has piles of them. He knows I’m a jnat person and this one is close. I’ve chatted with other knowledgeable folks, and like the best jnats you can’t easily go out and buy the best razor coti it seems.

it’s good to have friends looking out for you, thanks David!

Edison Carter, TestDepth and basil like this.