Clubman

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Robert1955, Mar 7, 2019.

1. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I'm confused. So what did you do?

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I had 3 Clubmen out...the Original aftershave, the Country Club shampoo, and the styling gel(to top off the shampoo). Very rarely do I use ONE of these, let alone all three, during the summer. You said you were "following" my plan, so I thought I'd announce it. They'll be well ready for me when it gets cooler.

3. MntnMan62

I use my Clubman all year. Aftershave. Hair gel. I don't have the shampoo.

RyX and Tim Spencer like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Do you have the large or small sized hair gel? And I recommend that shampoo.

5. MntnMan62

I have the 3.75 ounce tubes of the hair gel. Got a pack of 6 of the Clubman Pinaud Styling Gel Hair Groom for Men on Amazon for $17.50.

RyX and Paul Turner like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Very good-I'm finding all I need is the 3.75. I do have a tub of STEPHAN gel..when I don't shave with Clubman.

MntnMan62 likes this.
  7. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Oh, I have the beard and body wash, which works as a shampoo. And I have the hair gel and the shave soap and the talc powder and the styptic pencil. And I even went out and found a vintage glass bottle that I haven't been able to bring myself to break the seal and open yet. Yeah, Clubman is, IMO, pretty essential as a brand for my wet shaving den. It's special stuff. I have a secret cologne that I layer with Clubman aftershave.......Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP (EDP, not the EDT, it must be the EDP - Eau de Parfum version). When Clubman and Pour Monsieur EDP are put together it's like Thanos + the Infinity Gauntlet. Unbeatable.

NTR, MntnMan62, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  8. Paul Turner

Some reviewers of the Country Club Shampoo say they use it as a body-wash in addition. .

Tim Spencer and brit like this.
  9. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Also, the body/beard wash I double it as a bubble bath and I have the option of using more with a shower poof/scrubber......or......I can use the bar soap from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "ClubGuy" (which I think is a really good approximation of Clubman).

Paul Turner and brit like this.
  10. Paul Turner

An update for Clubman lovers...On Amazon, Clubman Original A.S. (the 6 oz) just passed 2,300 reviews...2,302 to be exact. The number of 5-star and 4-star combined totals 87% of all reviewers. 5-stars 74%, 4-stars 13%

11. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Ya know, I still haven't smelled any of this stuff. Well, I do have a sample bottle of "The Veg" that I acquired from someone I bought a razor from. Jury's still out on that one, can't say I found it super appealing. Pinaud brand products don't seem to be available in any brick and mortar drugstores here in Canada. Being as I'm in my late fifties, I suspect that the "Original" scent will remind me of being a boy in the sixties getting a haircut with dad at the local barbershop. I've read alot of praise for the Special Reserve but I've tried Aqua Velva Musk and it doesn't really work for me. If the Reserve leans toward that I may not like it either. I suspect the Clubman original might be my better first choice if I decide to take a gamble and order some. Or.......maybe scout out a barbershop that would let me have a whiff.

Paul Turner, Angelo85 and brit like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Perhaps you can some info about what's in Canada, or purchasing FROM Canada on clubmanonline.com. Good luck :).

brit likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Walmart.ca has it.

brit and Paul Turner like this.
  14. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

How close is the Musk version to the original? The sample I have smells almost identical. To me.

brit likes this.
  15. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

The musk version I have smells closer to avon wild country, it's in the same class as original but it is different.

brit and Paul Turner like this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

They are in the same family but to me pretty different. I will qualify that by saying I smoke cigars. The nose might not pick up smells like some.

Paul Turner likes this.
  17. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Those are steady choices.

18. Paul Turner

I just put in a Black Friday order, which includes enough talc powder to last me 3 more lives. (The other item is Special Reserve A.S.)

brit and Angelo85 like this.
  19. Campion

Campion Active Member

The 'original' Clubman is fantastic. I also really enjoy using the Special Reserve. When I want that "barbershop" feeling I like to use some Stephan Bay Rum and some Clubman Talc. I prefer the bath talc to the regular talc. Great complementary scents.

Ever try the Pinaud Clubman foam? Probably the best canned 'lather' around. Clubman scent. Very protective, although drying if you use it too frequently. But as foams go it is excellent.

20. Paul Turner

I have the Stephan Bay Rum. Sure is a barbershop one all right....and vintage(1897)

Campion and brit like this.