Has your RAD burned out?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by gorgo2, Jul 23, 2019.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Told this story several years ago, when I was still steamed about it.

Once I came across a mint stash of what I understand are the best old Wilkinson blades ever. The seller had them priced for peanuts but I had no cash on me and it was a Cash Only shop. But the vendor pleasantly said he'd hang on to them. How long did I think I'd be? I'll be back in on Friday. No problem, he said, they'll be here.

Friday, I'm back with the dough. The vendor has left for the weekend and the blades are gone. Another vendor, one who did not like the guy, said he's a jerk and that he saw him pull the Wilks to list on ebay the moment I was out the door. The guy said he'd pulled fast ones like that. The jerk hadn't realized the blades had any possible value so he broke his worthless word and went for the biggest and quickest price.

Business is business but I am of the view that greedy liars are scum when they lie to my face. Just my opinion. Can't tell you how mad I was at that time -- not so much the loss of the blades (big deal) but being lied to.

But I don't think I'd get angry about such things anymore. I don't think the situation would happen at all now.

One, I really don't go out hunting at all. What more do I really need? That's the best reason not to go wasting gas and cash on more clutter. I also don't troll ebay anymore looking for bargains. Sometimes I browse the bay just out of curiosity on current prices but I don't bid just for myself and don't foresee it. The last things I did bid on (shave related) were the old AV and SB variety sets, which I always wanted to try, and the silver Trac II razor handles I got for my daughter. Those were, what, three or four months ago? Nothing since.

Of course if I happen across somthing of interest in the wild I may pick it up...or I may keep on walking. Point is, no more excursions, no more safaris. Wasn't like that before. I did do some prowling down here last year, but it got boring quick. Stuff was around but it wasn't the same. I'd changed. Now I don't want to bother. I now get much more pleasure seeing what other guys happen across.

Cream, soap, blades, etc, need replenished from time to time but the heady days of greedy coveting (calling it what it was, at least for me) are past and I'm glad for it.

Anyone else had RAD finally burn out? If so, how long did it take? What are your reasons for it? Tell your story.

Frijolero, pj3r, RaZorBurn123 and 4 others like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I read this thread just as I got online to post my latest 6 razor purchase.

I guess I don't have a story to tell yet since I'm apparently still afflicted. :)

I'll check back.

Frijolero, RaZorBurn123, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

4. david of central florida

Why you selling any razors?

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

There's no judgment of anyone in the OP, except of myself.

Frijolero, brit and Jrdelgado like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Me? No. I think I have four left -- 2 DEs, one SE, one injector, plus a Trac II, and all get used. Everything else I had went in the last Box.

Frijolero, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  7. david of central florida

I was joking,
    Has razor addiction disoroder gone away?
    Yes, it has.
    Why do you want to sell some?
    I was being funny, or trying to anyway.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Frijolero, Keithmax, brit and 4 others like this.
  8. John Beeman

I got a pretty big bang out of it. Just don’t quit your day job. ;)

Frijolero, Keithmax, brit and 4 others like this.
  9. John Beeman

Actually, @gorgo2 , after you sent me that President, I missed a bid on a Diplomat and started thinking that maybe I do have enough razors and maybe I should quit buying them...
    until today.
    Maybe if they were priced higher but geez, five to ten bucks each...
    I will say I passed over several others in the same store that I have too many of.

Frijolero, Keithmax, brit and 3 others like this.
  10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I am 48. When I was 16, you could buy Camaros, Novas, Mustangs, , El Caminos, Chevelle's, etc... For around one or two grand. Now, people are expecting 10G or more, for rusty, crusty, clapped out junk.

The only reason why anything can be priced the way it is of course, because someone else will buy it at the given price. So, I like you, have given up the hunt.

I imagine in another five to ten years, 2011 R41's will show up on the market for hundreds of dollars. The R41 is MY razor, but I am not going to pay several times over the MSRP to acquire another one.

I am hoarding my two R41's like I should have acquired and hoarded '68 Camaro's when nobody wanted too!

11. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Yes mine has burned out, and I agree with you completely. I've bought all my razors from the B/S/T sections of a couple of shaving forums but even there it's possible to run into some weirdness.

The seller wanted X amount for his razor "plus" Conus only shipping within the U.S. I told him I was in Canada and politely asked if he would send it here if I paid him for the increased postage cost. He declined saying "he doesn't mail things offshore". I'm not sure where he went to school or what he was doing during geography class but Canada is not offshore. To make it dead easy for him I paid through Ppal and gave him the address of my U.S. mailbox in Sumas, Washington State. I live so close that I can literally park on my side, walk across to "Ship Happens" and declare it on the way back and drive home. This is 7-10 days faster than having it cross over and sit in Canada Customs before it gets delivered. With the huge growth of online sales numerous businesses that provide mailboxes have opened up along the border towns as the demand is now huge. Zillions of people order this way, it is not in the least bit uncommon. That's why there's a field on the online forms that asks "Shipping address same as home address?".
    The seller confirms he has received my money. Then messages back with a bit of a freak-out that my home address and shipping address don't match (I already told him I was in Canada and had told him he could mail within the U.S. remember). He vaguely alludes that I might be trying to scam him some how. I respond nicely, stating that he already has my money, the mailbox in Sumas is at a legitimate business and I provide him with a link to their site so he can verify this himself if he wishes. He can mail the item without worry.
    Nope..........., can't get him to co-operate on this at all. I read more messages from him about the addresses "having to match" and "pretty sure that's in the rules". What friggin' rules?
    So he won't mail to Canada (it's offshore remember).
    And he won't mail Conus to Washington State. (I took geography so I know that's in America).
    After 10-12 hours and 10-12 messages I finally asked him to just refund my money.
    Then afterwards I read his post when he finally sold his razor where he alluded to a previous customer (me) and how "this time the sale finally stuck".
    It was sold when I paid for it, he just wouldn't mail it.
    And if I was going to scam someone, it wouldn't be for $100 bucks. In the time it took to doodle around with this guy I could have made more than that collecting pop bottles.

I have never had a problem with any B/S/T seller shipping to Sumas if they didn't want the bother of shipping to Canada. Usually they will accept extra funds and mail straight to me at home. But this guy................wow.

I have the vintage Gillettes that interest me and backups of each. I'm done with RAD.

12. John Beeman

That’s hilarious. Of course I live in Michigan so we do have a couple of bridges and a few ferrys if we need to get to Canada. And a tunnel.
    Maybe he thought you could magically take your money back because the addresses didn’t match.

Frijolero, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Sorry, I get it now.

Long day.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

How you liking it?

brit and RyX like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Tell you the truth, several years ago right here on the Den I either sold, swapped or sent a Pal adjustable to a guy in Canada. It turned into a nightmare because the second it cross the border it vanished in the system for like two weeks. Could have been a fluke but I been leery ever since. I suspect badgers or perhaps an otter was behind it.

16. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I miss my 67 Camaro. It's crazy what cars go for now.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Frijolero, Keithmax, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

my rad is pretty much over now..i have most of the british gillettes i wanted short of a couple of rare and really pricey ones..have a couple of canadian and u.s. examples i like as well.most were great deals from good vendors with near mint examples and most were buy it now purchases not auctions..pretty much bought what i was looking for..all get used ,some more than others,.still want a 1936 brit oc aristocrat or similar but not a beater ..it will come one day..also a non gillette or 2 ,like a cooper etc..same with brushes and such..i have more than i need..oh and the many muscle cars i've owned ,beat up and parted out -it's staggering what they are worth today..got to enjoy them at least..and survived..my reason for collecting brit gillettes?wanted the razors my grandad would/could of had in england during and after his go in the second war..have achieved that and i am happy..now i get to use them..cheers gents..thanks for listening..

18. John Beeman

I'm very much enjoying it.
    Initially I was surprised by how aggressive it is but I should have it dialed in before too long.
    I'll probably use it again this morning.

Frijolero, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That my RAD has dissipated is more a function of having acquired most of what I've wanted than being burned out. I still like to find and acquire the odd French DE but there's not much on my list anymore. Being uninterested in anything made by Gillette after 1934 does help.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Frijolero, brit, RyX and 3 others like this.
  20. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

My RAD has subsided for now. If I see something out in the wild I find interesting I'll pick it up if it is a good deal. I'm no longer buying stuff online. If I find something in bulk and super cheap I'll probably pick it up to do a PiF like I'll probably be doing with the box of Yuma razors I posted in another thread. I am pretty sure finding anything worth buying from here on out will be few and far between. I still enjoy looking, but the chances of buying are slim.

Frijolero, brit, RyX and 3 others like this.