What do you think of the new Corvette?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by BigMike, Jul 24, 2019.

1. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

As a young man I was really into cars, but I'm older now-- old enough to be past the age for a mid-life crisis even. But I've got to say the 2020 Corvette looks pretty sweet. I didn't think I'd see another mid engine American car in my lifetime. That was a pretty gutsy move, but I suppose pressure from the high end electrics vehicles demanded a strong response.

Hembree and Keithmax like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Interesting look at the model here:

Not my cup of tea, though. I don't see myself dropping that kind of money on a car.

3. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

I wish it wasn't the only thing every car website was talking about right now... doesn't interest me much. They should have called it something else

BigMike and Hembree like this.
  4. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I have always been a fan of the Corvette, and this one is sweet. Wish I had the moolah to run down to the dealership and reserve one!

Hembree and BigMike like this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I hope they sell it here, but Seoul doesn’t provide many opportunities to enjoy a car like that.

Hembree and BigMike like this.
  6. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Meh. I used to be into fast cars. Given the very poor condition of the roads in California, fast cars are now pointless here. Low profile tires only make things worse, as that leads to bent rims. One would think that with a new 12 cent per gallon road tax that the roads would be good. Besides, it is more fun to buy an older car and hot rod it myself rather than buying a new performance car or paying someone else to do the mods.

Hembree, brit and BigMike like this.
  7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Zora Duntov was a genius!

As a man approaching his 50's, and a fleet manager with a somewhat inside line, I am currently working a deal to trade my Kia Soul for a 2020 'Vette. Mine will be the base model, but whatevs; she will soon be mine!

Production is so limited, so I won't be able to pick my color, and I am not going to pay the extra money to custom pick my VIN, nor the extra money to pick my car up in Bowling Green and get the factory tour, but I am totally working towards ownership.

Even if you are not a Chevy person, or a 'Vette person, this iteration of the Corvette is a big deal!

8. BigMike

Wow, that's exciting news! Please post pics and comments when it arrives.

Hembree likes this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I like it. But, if it has the limited room inside, as the last one, i wont be getting it. My head hit the top, and my shoulder were pressed against the door.

10. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I do not care for it. I remember when the Corvette was a unique American muscle car. With this model, IMHO, it looks more like a European style similar to Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, Audi, etc. wannabe.

Shaver X and Hembree like this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

1960's FORD GT?????? See any similarities. Perhaps the Italians coppied from American designers???

12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm not a "car guy," but I thought it was cool when the Big 3 automakers reintroduced some of their classics: Thunderbird, Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, etc. I wonder if Chevrolet has ever considered reintroducing a '50's or '60's-era Corvette as close to original specs as they could legally make it? It might rock the world of the purists, but I bet it would sell like gangbusters...

Just a thought...

13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Just remember, Zora Duntov was a major champion of a mid engine car, up, and until he died.

We are all just rotting fruit on a vine.
    I am saddened that the Father of the 'Vette did not live to see this dream come true.

14. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was about the Corvette? Otherwise, I would have considered other makes.

Hembree likes this.
  15. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I have owned a 1973 Vette since 1982. I have always loved the Vettes no matter what generation up until the C7. The C8 is a great looking car but if you take the name off of the car you do not know what it is. I have no problems with the mid-engine platform and Chevy should have went there years ago. My problem with the C8 is that there is no Corvettte DNA in the styling. The rear end looks more like Camaro than a Corvette. The C7 was a stop gap to get to the C8 (look at the rear roof lines). In my view point the C6 was the last Corvette and will become a classic. The C7 also had overheating issues on the track and hopefully the C8 will not.

BigMike likes this.
  16. Hembree

:signs011:

brit and Shaver X like this.
  17. BigMike

Styling of the C3 was very different from the C2 which was a radical departure from the C1. That C3 of yours will alway be to me the "true" Corvette look. But since then I feel the aesthetics have gone stale. Personally, I would have liked to have seen even more change in the appearance, but with so much else being new I can see why the designers needed to keep something in continuity.

brit and Hembree like this.
  18. Hembree

A 1956 & 57 resembles a 1953-55, 58 resembles what came before it. The later C1s (1960 & 61) had the "duck" butt which was carried over into the C2s. The early C3 (1968-1973) carried a similar styled rear end. The later C3 had some styling changes due to the 5 mph bumper laws. The early C4s resemble the later C3s. You can park an early C4 next to any year C3 and tell they are kin. There has always been for the most part an evolution of styling and ties to previous generations within the Corvette family.

BigMike and brit like this.
  19. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. The new styling gives it more of a super car look. That also makes it look a lot like some other cars out there. I see the Acura NSX in there. I see some McLaren. And yet as I look at it a bit more it still retains it's own distinctive look, albeit more subtly different than it used to be. I can say I like it but I'm not as drawn to it as much as I am to the mid to late 70's through 1982 corvettes. As to this new version I think I like it more than it's predecessor. Sadly I don't have enough money to justify buying either a classic or a new one. So I'm happy to ogle them as I see them on the road. Maybe one day. But then it will be competing for my attention with a a whole host of other cars. For that you would need to refer to my other thread on another forum called Post Your Dream Cars.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    wristwatchb, BigMike and Hembree like this.
  20. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

+1
    I used the think the Corvette was the ultimate badass car, especially when they were hot rodded to hell and back. IMHO, they lost their cool and went yuppie with the C4 body style. I lost interest in them after that.

Those that want a modern day car that echoes old-school looks might consider one of the Dodge Challengers. Some of them have nearly 800 HP, and all have a back seat.

BigMike, brit and Hembree like this.