Has your RAD burned out?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by gorgo2, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I think these disorders simply go into remission.

2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

My RAD has given way to having some good stuff in the den and being able to use it relatively well. I take more pride in developing technique than in acquiring more or fancy gear. In general, the search for "the one" of anything has subsided.

It is fun and brings back memories to have a few vintage razors, though. I'm probably 90% user and 10% collector in that regard.

I've paid too much for some of my stuff (eBay), but I've never sold anything. Selling stuff would take the fun out of it for me, and it's not worth the hassle. I've thinned down my den to what I really want to keep over the last few years by gifting some items. It's fun to help others get started in the hobby.

Shaver X, Frijolero, brit and 5 others like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

And giving them to others is gratifying as well.

Frijolero, brit, RyX and 5 others like this.
  4. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Running out of room on my side of the sink and have lost allot interest in collecting. I've put allot of my stuff in a box, maybe to sell when we have a lawn sale. Out of the 50+ razors I only use 3 or 4. I"m down to 3 soaps probably eliminate 1 more. I still like to stop at some Lawn/Garage sales and a few thrift stores but something like a rarity would have to jump up and say "buy me you love me I'm cheap"

BigD, Frijolero, wristwatchb and 4 others like this.
  5. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

I only own 2 razors... and there's only 1 other I want

edit: and I just paid for one of them :cool:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Frijolero, pj3r, wristwatchb and 5 others like this.
  6. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

My RAD burnt out in about 2 years. At the point, I had tried most of the razors out there, settled on what works for me and am happy. Honestly, once I got my Timeless, it pretty much cured my RAD but since then I have picked up a few vintage Gillettes that Ive found out in the wild.
    I think that Im done now though. Ive got a Timeless, Gillette Old Type, Gillette New Type, Gillette Tech, Gillette Superspeed Red Tip, birthyear Gillette Superspeed, birthyard Gillette Super Adjustable and birthyear Gillette Slim.
    I honestly cant think of anything else that I would even want. Maybe an ATT but I dont really like ATT's head design with the very short posts.

BigD, Frijolero, wristwatchb and 6 others like this.
  7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

My RAD subsided after buying my third razor, and I now have only two razors. Hey, with a Gillette Slim and a Edwin Jagger DE89, I don't need anything else. Also a lack of storage space and a severe dislike of clutter help quench the flames of razor madness.

BigD, Frijolero, gorgo2 and 4 others like this.
  8. OhCanada

OhCanada Well-Known Member

Currently in remission....2 wolfmans and a Chubby 3 Manchurian put an end to a year long craze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaver X, BigD, brit and 4 others like this.
  9. Primotenore

Article Team
    :sad027: That'll do it.

gorgo2, Shaver X, brit and 1 other person like this.
  10. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I think I'm burned out of my RAD and BAD. I don't spend lots of time on the auction sites looking for razors. I am not looking for anymore brushes. I have settled on about two or three blades that I like best and the only thing I look at now are soaps and aftershaves. But I'm not buying lots of either because I have too many as it is. That means I have 54 full tubs or tubes of soaps and creams and another 17 samples to go through. Now all I want to do is finish some of the stuff I don't like so much so I can make room for others that I do like or would like to try samples of. But I'm not looking actively. If I see someone mention something that sounds interesting I'll look into that one and if I like what I read, I'll add it to my wish list. I realize the danger in that is by the time I am ready to buy, it may be unobtainable. Oh well. Such is life.

11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

My RAD is in remission until the next shiny razor catches my eye. I'm not actively looking for anything. The upcoming SS razor from Stirling and anything Blackland releases are very strong maybes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Shaver X, Edison Carter, BigD and 3 others like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

There's still a few razors I'd like to try just to say I did...that most aggressive Muhle, I think it is? Can't recall the nomeclature but I'd like a crack at one. The very popular old Barbasol, and maybe one or two others. But own them? Nah, very probably not.

13. Primotenore

Article Team
    Now, to me that makes no sense. PIF the stuff you don't like. I sold a HUGE lot of stuff I "didn't like so much" for pennies on the dollar. Make some room for the stuff you really like! ;)

Shaver X, wristwatchb, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  14. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

My RAD has definitely subsided. I'm not through buying, but it's no longer a disorder. I pretty much know what I like now. Lately I've been in unloading mode. I'll still pick up nicer versions of my keepers if I run across them. And there are still a few things I'm curious to try. I I find one at the right price, I'll grab it. If I don't, I won't lose any sleep over it.

15. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. Lately my standard isn't even like/dislike. It's what do I like more.

Shaver X, wristwatchb, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  16. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

There are currently 3 razors that are "must haves" ones that when I get them, I will not sell them, but aside from that, my RAD is really at an all time low.
    As far as everything else, I like to trade, brushes, soaps, A/S etc, and I like to give stuff away as well.
    If I never bought another soap, brush or razor, I could shave just fine for the rest of my life.

gorgo2, BigD and brit like this.
  17. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Well, "don't like" is probably a bit stronger than reality. I can't really say there is anything that I "don't like". I'd say it's more like stuff that I don't like "as much" as the stuff I like a lot.

18. Primotenore

Article Team
    I didn't mean to "tell" you what to do with your stuff. After 5+ years of accumulating gear, I have run out of space for anything that does completely and 100% please me.

Shaver X, brit and gorgo2 like this.
  19. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

No! I thought at one point it might be, but when I woke up, things were alright.
    tp

20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Remission didn't last long. I just ordered another razor.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

brit, gorgo2 and wristwatchb like this.