Redoing my bathroom. What should I add to make it a perfect den?

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by StormyWeather, Jul 26, 2019.

1. StormyWeather

StormyWeather Well-Known Member

So, I'm in the process of redoing my bathroom. All new tub, all new vanity, fixtures... everything.

Since it's being done from almost scratch, what would you put in your renovation to make it a more ideal den?

Keep in mind I try to keep the soaps and brushes stored out of the bathroom, so they're not constantly exposed to the humidity. Still, looking for some ideas for what I can add that would be ideal to have.

2. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Since you don't store your razors, brushes and tubs of creams and soaps in the bathroom, all you need is a spot to put a razor/brush stand for your razor and brush of the day as well as a lather bowl if you use one. And maybe some space in the medicine cabinet to keep a few blades, per-shave oil, witch hazel, alum, styptic pencil. That's what I do. All the rest of my stuff is in the guest bedroom away from the humidity of the bathroom. Good luck on your project. Keep us informed with some pictures. We love pictures.

Keithmax, brit, Terry and 1 other person like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Having spent a couple decades doing wood work, residential framing, sheetrock, etc - the space between wall studs can be utilized for recessed shelving. Maybe a hinged mirror as a cover placed near the door and away from sink & tub?

4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Counter space - I have small bathrooms so I wish I had some counter space more than just the sides of the sink

Lighting - They're not popular any more but I found an older medicine cabinet with mirror front and 18" fluorescent lights on the sides. Lot's of bathroom lighting options are over and above the mirror but that makes shadows on your neck and under the chin. I found my lighted medicine cabinet at a Habitat for Humanity store for just a few bucks and it was in great shape. The plastic light covers are slightly yellowed but livable. I also have lights above the mirror as well. The only other side light options I found were those big round glass globe things that I really don't care for.

A big deep sink with swing-away faucet. I make a mess with a small sink. If you like to use a lot of hot water that steams up to your face and if you have a pre-shave (or post-shave) routine that involves lots of rinsing (and splashing) then get a big sink. I clean up every time but I can't seem to shave at my small sink without being extra careful. Also if you're a head shaver you might consider a sink big enough to have a kitchen sprayer type faucet and bowl big enough for a complete head rinse.

Keithmax, RyX and MntnMan62 like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  6. StormyWeather

Definitely would be useful, so I can put my aftershave / soap in the recessed cabinet while I'm not using them. That way my better half has access to the counter while I'm still finishing up my shower. I have a closet that is on the other side of the wall with my bathroom, so even just a hinged door that opens into that closet can allow me to basically have access to all that space. That being said, I don't want to have humidity get into that closet either, so maybe not fully into the closet is the best option, and just recessed.

I have a large mirror (half the length of the wall) that I could probably break into multiple pieces, and have some storage space behind it as well.

All good ideas, especially the counter space. Need to make sure our counter space stays open, and @RyX 's idea for maybe some recessed storage in addition to the under counter storage makes sense here.

RyX likes this.
  7. StormyWeather

RyX likes this.
  8. MntnMan62

They go into the void of your sheetrock wall, never to be seen again.......until someone decides to renovate the bathroom again and rips out the sheetrock.

ghostlife, RyX and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

[​IMG]

10. MntnMan62

Isn't that better for the bedroom?

RyX likes this.
  11. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

What better way to shave than with the missus* doing the spinning whilst you are working up your lather?

*Edit: or Mr. (One shouldn't be making assumptions in this day and age!)

Keithmax, Terry, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  12. MntnMan62

I'd normally agree with you although when you add a very sharp razor blade to the mix accompanied by such distraction while standing in the nude whilst shaving, it seems to me this could be a recipe for disaster. :shocked003:

13. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

A Japanese toilet
    upload_2019-7-26_15-33-36.png

Tedolph, Keithmax, brit and 1 other person like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

15. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Taller, one piece counters.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Spend the bucks to get top-quality medicine cabinets, with inside mirrors. Best decision we made in our old house.

Keithmax, RyX and DesertTime like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

That would spook me. I'd get flashbacks of The Pillow Guy commercial.

Never had these Joseph. Can you quantify the advantages?

Primotenore likes this.
  18. StormyWeather

Ok, first off, if I opened my medicine cabinet and saw some dude standing on the other side of it like that, I'd be running to my night stand and pulling my glock to empty a mag of hollowpoints into him.

This commercial could easily be re-cut into a horror movie. Just cut off the footage at the first three seconds -- looks like he's about to murder someone.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  19. brit

brit in a box

RyX, Erik Redd and Hembree like this.
  20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

A hook for a strop and a tall faucet so it’s easy to rinse a straight. I also raised my counters to match my height.

FlightMedic, Primotenore and RyX like this.
  21. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

Place I used to live had a narrow, full height cabinet next to the counter (behind the bathroom door when it is open) - I really miss that, perfect for towels, toiletries, medication, first aid kit, whatever else you don't want on your counter

Keithmax and RyX like this.