What's your favourite AS / ASB?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Rusty blade, May 26, 2019.

?

AS or ASB?

1. AS

20 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. ASB

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. Both

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  4. Nothing.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

32248D28-AFF9-4AA0-B8DC-8E9A19FC6EF3.jpeg

Alcohol lotion, Myrsol, choose your flavor.

Low alcohol (17%) D. R. Harris Pink

No alcohol, Thayers witch hazel toner, especially the rose petal.

Everyone likes a deal, and almost everyone likes Myrsol, but it’s pricey in the US in the crystal bottle. But you can get 1-liter refills from Gifts and Care for around $22 US, and then just refill the one of the coolest crystal AS bottles ever made. Granted, shipping will be another $10-12, but it’s still a deal. I go through about 200ml a year using it most of the time, so a liter is a 5-year or more supply. If you don’t care about the fancy bottle, just grab a liter of your choice and refill the hot sauce bottle (rinse well first, lol).

BigD and brit like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

We have an exciting survey race here between Aftershave and Both..both(chuk yuk yuk)at 45.9&. One projection I can safely make is that Nothing will lose. After all, Nothing has just that, nothing (0%).

brit and Edison Carter like this.
  3. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I liked Arko comfort so much that i used it all up :(

BigD and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

if and when balm is needed i use proraso,crabtree and evelyn lime,henri and victoria or nivea..

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I rarely use ASB, usually at night on the rare occasions I shave right before bed. It has a lighter scent than AS, and doesn't annoy my wife when she's trying to sleep.

Safari for men ASB...long discontinued. The two bottles i have should last a lifetime, since i rarely use it.

My regular aftershave is Derby City Chop Shop Winter Reserve. I try to buy a couple bottles a year, since they only make it seasonally.

Angelo85 and brit like this.
  6. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Their website shows it out of stock and doesn’t indicate the amount of fl ounces. How many fl ounces? Thanks.

brit likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    7.5 oz.
    It is usually stocked in the fall/winter.

brit likes this.
  8. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks

brit likes this.
  9. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

Old Spice is my all time favorite AS and I use it daily. Over the past 55 years, I’ve likely used gallons of the stuff. I much prefer the current “Classic” to the vintage which was a bit loud for my current tastes.

brit, Steve56 and BlueShaver like this.
  10. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

AS. My skin is too oily for heavy AS Balm use.

brit likes this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

brit likes this.
  12. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

I prefer ASB for their moisturizing effects, with alcohol-free being my top contenders- Nivea sensitive skin and Duke Cannon Ice Cold. It's winter and my skin is dry.

Splashes are something I'm getting back into- used to use Old Spice & Brut. Currently trying AV Ice Blue and plan to buy something from Clubman.

Oils are something new for me, just bought Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood. Love the scent. Used only once so the final verdict is not in yet on how my face likes it.

13. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Lately, I have been enjoying Henri et Victoria Unscented ASB.

14. Macbeth

Macbeth Active Member

FLOID VIGAROSO balm. ( and MY balm...better than all I've tried. Nivea Sensitive is nice too as I add a few drops to my mixtures)

But later I will apply an aftershave.
    Favorites are:
    GUERLAIN VETIVER
    GUERLAIN HABIT ROUGE
    TERRE D'HERMES
    All those are light scents.

15. Campion

Campion Active Member

I prefer splashes but there are some balms I like. The Italian "shave milk" balms are excellent- Proraso blue and white are superb, and I have a TFS Green Tobacco balm that is outstanding. The best however are the Antica Barbieria Colla milks, especially the green tobacco. Expensive indeed, but terrific stuff.

I have dry skin, so most days I will either use the newish Aqua Velva 5-in-1 balm and follow it with a splash, or more often I'll use an unscented moisturizer and follow it with a splash. I've used CeraVe moisturizer for the past 6 or 7 years. Really effective, and truly unscented.

16. The situational shaver

The situational shaver Well-Known Member

I just don’t get ‘balms’. If you want moisturization, get an as with glycerin, duh!
    If you say you have dry skin, use a Masters product, or an A.V. Product.
    I guarantee you won’t be dry.