Any of you seasoned shavers have a "coming to Jesus" moment regarding your technique?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by BlueShaver, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

:happy088:

RyX and Paul Turner like this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

That seems to be where I am at right now. I used Feather blades about three month ago without much luck and put them to the side. About two weeks ago I got them out again and have been amazed at how much better it has been. I think in the back of my mind that I thought the Feathers were going to cut me up that I reduced my pressure to just the weight of the razor. I have had no nicks, weepers or blood loss and shaves have been great with about three or four different razors. I have heard it preached on TSD that a razor is just a blade holder and there is not much differences in the blades and I am about to come to that understanding. I am a slow learner.

RyX likes this.
  3. StormyWeather

StormyWeather Well-Known Member

Normally I have to know people longer than a week before I’m ok with them calling me daddy.

Hembree, RyX and BlueShaver like this.
  4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Agreed, and I have been here for about 9 years. And regardless of how long you have been here, you did not join a forum; you joined a family. So you be my daddy too.

Hembree and RyX like this.
  5. StormyWeather

Blood in*, blood out.

* Shaving nicks.

6. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

@RyX

Name change for SW to "Daddy" lol

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My "moment" came when I realized that not all badger brushes were floppy. That you can actually get one that has the stiffness of a boar brush and the softness of a badger.

I'm still on the fence when it comes to synthetic brushes.

Hembree, brit and RyX like this.
  8. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Interesting, which version of a badger brush does this? ( i don't like how floppy Badger brushes are)

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's a combination of factors. Any Finest/Two Band (British/American definition with some overlap) badger has a degree of stiffness, since the hairs are individually thicker than "silvertip." If the knot is set deeply in the brush handle, this will also add stiffness and backbone.

I prefer a 22-24mm knot, set 12-14mm deep into the handle. This usually completely covers the third "band" of hair color, leaving only two bands of hair showing, hence a 'two band' knot.

The non plus ultra of stiff badger is the Shavemac D01 knot. Felt like a velvet covered eraser nub when I got it, and it took well over a month to break it in. Has a third more amount of hair packed into it than an equivalent knot from another manufacturer.

I tend to avoid 'High Mountain White,' 'Manchurian,' and other similarly named badger brushes because there is no standard for these brushes. They can range from ultra premium to garbage.

Edit: depending on manufacturer.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Great movie!

Hembree likes this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I can't say that I had a "Come to Jesus" moment, however, after returning to traditional wet-shaving 5+ years ago, I have had multiple "revelations".
    Since going over to the Dark Side, I continue to have revelations and/or "learning experiences". Today, I confirmed that keeping the blade on my skin, whilst making a short stroke, facilitates a better angle. There you go. I am always "learning" something new.

Trigger, Hembree, brit and 1 other person like this.
  12. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I am in a loop, I'll get great shaves for a few months and then I start getting cuts and razor burn, usually because I revert back using to much pressure, then I correct it. I don't insist on getting bbs every day, dfs is fine for me.

Hembree and brit like this.
  13. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

I’m doing pretty well now, I think, technique wise. Riding the cap, light pressure. Sometimes I wonder if I’m getting enough blade on my face, but the hair is coming off and irritation is usually mild or even none on a good day.

Hydrated Lather that shimmers and has that yoghurty consistency makes the biggest difference for me. I was underhydrating. While very pretty, that fluffy lather does not protect your face.

Oh, and I’m very excited! Realized our water softener was busted, which has explained why lathering has been taking so much longer lately. Tomorrow will be first shave with the soft water back in action. :happy093:

14. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I'm still chasing a BBS since I was a teenager. I found it easy, once I got my technique down to a science. I've always been an ATG shaver and using short or buffing strokes, little to light pressure with my Gillette Slim on 7 or my MMOC with very little pressure. I don't always get a BBS, maybe 75% of the time. Only time I got face burn is when I tried out a new type Cartridge razor.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  15. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

I tried the short buffing strokes on my problem areas, and it worked well. More experimentation needed, but thanks for the idea.

brit and Hembree like this.
  16. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Active Member

Over the years I've learned that the Silver Tip badger is usually the floppiest of all, I always go for the Pure Badger, there usually the cheapest and have the most backbone, but they also have the scratch of boar bristle.

RyX, BlueShaver and brit like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

i find the 2 band /best /finest badger my favorite.less scritch and more backbone..nice balance..

RyX likes this.
  18. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Active Member

When I left the military, BBS ended for me, no more senior NCO's with a flashlight looking for the least bit of stubble, so today DFS is just fine. But if your interested, for a BBS you need a very hydrated lather so you can buff stubborn parts of your face and I would do a forth pass with a lot of attention on the stubborn areas. I never failed an inspection with that, I've always used Gillett DE razors when I could find soap or cream (Barbisol sucks). Right now I'm using a Flare Tip Super Speed and for Schlits & giggles with a touch of nostalgia I did a BBS yesterday and my method still works. I've used Persona Blades since 1976 and still use them today, I've never liked an aggressive razor or super sharp blade, the least little distraction and your bleeding.

RyX, BlueShaver and brit like this.
  19. StormyWeather

Honestly I just use boar bristle brushes. I fell in love with the omega 10048, and have enough to solely use it if I wanted to with 4 day drying cycles per individual brush. Once broken in you have the backbone you need for hard soaps, but softer than badger when broken in, at least for me.

RyX likes this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've played with Barbasol canned shave cream. Shoot a blob into a bowl, punch it down with a brush, add water to desired wetness. It's not bad when you juice it up.
    Same here. I'm about due to shop another one. I like the break-in period when it's still a little scrubby.