August 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 30, 2019.

?

Will you be using Adjustables and/or Arko for August??

1. Yep. Adjustables and Arko both!!

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Adjustables yes - Arko no.

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Arko yes - Adjustables no.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. Some of both, some of other stuff.

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. Still just here for cookies and ice cream.

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  6. Straights - because they re the original adjustable.

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

John, nice post!

Hembree, Linuxguile, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  2. Trigger

Keith, wonderful shave and report!

Hembree, Linuxguile, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  3. Trigger

download.jpeg-1.jpg Mark, your shave was a howling success!

4. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Incredibly awesome post Chris. :happy096:
    :smiley respect:

Hembree, Linuxguile, clint64 and 9 others like this.
  5. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Thank you, Gary.

Hembree, Linuxguile, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  6. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Somehow I knew you’d be the first kid on the block with the Timeless Aluminum. :)
    Great photo and shave, Jim!

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

A Russian razor. That'll do.

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

A fine enabling attempt. Seriously. Videos, Russian themed, priced right to grab my attention. Well done, sir, well done. Henceforth, anyone looking up the term "enabling", or "enablement", or "enabler" will see your picture beside the word. However, you underestimate my powers of resistance as Czar around here. I can't be persuaded with just a couple of videos no matter how cool these watches appear to be. I mean, I would have to take time out of my amazingly busy schedule to peruse, what was it, meranom.com to see what models they sell. Just because they have models up to several hundred dollars doesn't mean I'd be any more impressed, even though I certainly don't have that kind of time. (Funny, he didn't mention the ones that cost that much but they do). I would even have to take time to go to eBay and look up the watches there. I'm far too disciplined to waste time on that, even if they have really cool submarine ones. The Soviets always did make pretty good subs. Well, the ones that didn't sink anyway.

So, my fine Kentucky friend, kudos on the attempt, but I'm afraid I have to say Nyet! Nyet! Nyet! Nope, not gonna bite here. You won't be seeing one of these on my wrist anytime soon. (Seriously?! September is the expected date? Ok, fine, but don't tell the crew!)

Vostok watch.jpg

AlDm, Hembree, Linuxguile and 16 others like this.
  9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Almost finished it off, Joseph. It’s been a pleasure to use each time.

Hembree, Linuxguile, Trigger and 8 others like this.
  10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Adjustable Arko August!!

August 1

Razor - 1960 (F4) Gillette Toggle (9)
    Blade - voskhod-teflon-coated.jpg (1)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush I*V 10 Mesquite w/ APshaveco hybrid boar/badger. The Moreau
    Post - Alum

And they're off! 10 pages down and we're not done with day one yet. Looks like we've still got it! Welcome to Adustable Arko August and I'm really looking forward to getting back in the game fully this month. Partly because I'm hoping I hammered out the issues in July and partly because the zen of this shave tonight was very good for me. I always love Adjustable months because I have a pretty good collection, which is something I would have never thought I'd say a couple of years ago. The picture today is all of the gear I plan to play with this month. I have 8 adjustables total. Four Gillettes (Toggle, Fatboy, Slim, Black Beauty), the Qshave Futur Clone, the Schick Type M SE, and the Russians - Ideal and Consul. I'll use only Arko this month to give it its due as a true classic, and.....in a total reversal of my usual, I won't touch a synthetic brush this month. Since @Bama Samurai is giving the Plissoft its month in the sun, I'll just flip to the other side to balance us out. Besides, it gives me a chance to use the new hybrid boar/badger more. Love that brush. As for the blade - it's ALL VOSKHOD for August! I haven't given the world's greatest steel enough love lately.

For the first shave I chose the Toggle, Voskhod, Arko and the "Moreau". A marvelously relaxing and effective three passes brought the baby to the room but without any cries or tears. Great shave with some great gear and the month is off to a fantastic start at Cartel HQ! Looks the same around a lot of other dens too from what I've seen so far! Thanks for keeping us moving and here's to a magnificent August!

August 1 2019.jpg

AlDm, Frijolero, Hembree and 18 others like this.
  11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Oh. Ok, yeah. That's a relief. Guess I can cancel my doctor appointment. I thought that was me.

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

AAAugust 2019

1 August, MMXIX A.D.

[​IMG]

And we're off on AAA... Easy two passes on nine. Looks like a busy first day. Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a great evening and a pleasant Friday!

:)

AlDm, Frijolero, Hembree and 18 others like this.
  13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Now THAT'S a name for a limited edition brush!

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

And he added The Mighty Veg. The Master!!!

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Here's something to send you into the weekend in a good mood!

17. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

If I may inquire, where in MD?

Hembree, Linuxguile, Trigger and 7 others like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

August Adjustable Arko!

Arko + Osage + Menthol Crystal
    Omega Professional 10098 boar
    Suribachi bowl, cool tap water
    The Bunny / WILD comb, Chick
    Osage Rub Invigorating Splash
    SOTD 08012019.gif Almost tear jerkingly cool lather when using alcohol based Osage Rub to dissolve a menthol crystal into Arko lather. After reading that the pure Menth has a melting point right at body temperature I've been more careful when handling the substance. So a 2X cool lather is a good thing and makes me want to try a Glacial now! Brought The Bunny out and kept the big blade exposure comb in place. Took a lots of buffing type strokes on my first pass, same for second, and only needed a bit of lower neck touch up to chase away the stubble. No nicks and the blade performed very well. Cool water rinse and a splash of The Rub kept the cooling going.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

AlDm, b1hart, Frijolero and 16 others like this.
  19. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

20. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I’m in.
    I am down to a birth year SA-109 as my only Adjustable, but will pull it out now and then. I think I’ll call this ‘Anything but Arko’ August and will focus on some neglected software.
    Sorry I haven’t been active on here the past few weeks. Life has more than gotten in the way. Bit of a crisis at work, and I ended up modifying my vacation plans to be there a few days of the week. The good news is I’ll have a few long weekends to make up for it coming up. Rick @RyX , I’ll try to answer your Canuck questions some more soon as well.
    As for shaving, I’ve been shaving regularly with some favourites and new stuff, just haven’t been able to post much. Did pour a couple of resin/wood blanks tonight, one for a friend on here and one for a Zenith Boar I will be extracting. Have you done one, @clint64 ? There is no cup around the knot like on an Omega. Much more delicate work, but still easy enough.
    Take care, all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.