Still in the package

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rbilly, Aug 3, 2019.

1. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

My friend all know I'm a wet shaving addict, my birthday was a few weeks ago and they bought me a few things off of ebay. One of them is an S3 super speed which they gave me today 1972 in opened. I'm torn, I don't display or collect razors for looking at, I only buy what I'm going to use, but I have never had one still in the package. I'm not sure how to proceed. 20190802_144008.jpg

MR41, jimjo1031, RyX and 5 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

very cool..i have 2 x m-4 birthyear/quarter black handle superspeeds..you could find a used one to use and save the sealed one for a special day..or use it knowing you are the first guy to use it..:)

RyX and stuartganis like this.
  3. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

If you dont use it, who are you saving it for?

MR41, Rev579, RyX and 3 others like this.
  4. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

That's my thoughts, I never buy nos because I don't want to pay more just to have a package. And I'm really curious with the blades it came with. It's a great gift but I will have to shave with it.

RyX and brit like this.
  5. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Its a gift which was given to you to use. This isn't some museum piece either. You didn't get it to display it.

I say use it. Open it up carefully from the back and keep the packaging together if you must.

Shave with it and the blades and tell us how you got on!

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Mos def© use it and enjoy it.

RyX, stuartganis and brit like this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'd be inclined to use it as well. I've got a ton of items i TRY to display( I'm always raiding the display), I'd use it.

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Since your a shaver and not a collector, why not swap it for another similar razor used, but not in box ,plus another not in box razor you haven't tried yet. As you said NOS razors still in original packaging are very special for collectors. Its a win win you get two or even possibly three used razors you've never tried and a collector gets a NOS razor. :happy088:

RyX, brit and gorgo2 like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If the blades were Spoilers, I'd have already opened it. The razor itself, meh. 178-bplatoon has a good idea.

RyX and brit like this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I’m with those who say to use it. It’s there to enjoy.

11. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

It is yours. If you wish to open it and use it, you should. I do have to say that the text I just wrote hides my sob.

RyX and brit like this.
  12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Your friend gave it to you to enjoy. What is going to give you more enjoyment? Being able to look at it and use it? Or just being able to look at it?

RyX and brit like this.
  13. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

The blades say gillette platinum plus, I'm not sure which ones are spoilers.

brit likes this.
  14. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the input, I'm going to give it a go next weekend with one of the blades that came with it. I have a weishi that I use for travel that came with a little case, so the superspped will fit perfect in the case for travel.

178-bplatoon and brit like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Pretty sure PP came later. Not as good a blade but that's just my opinion.

brit likes this.
  16. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I gave the razor a go this morning. Shaved as great as any super speed, the blade worked fine as well, I usually don't push blade life but I will see how long this one will last. I used some fine American blend shave cream and followed it up with some old spice. Fast and easy DFS shave, I wasn't expecting bbs because I only waited 15 hours, between shaves due to the joys of working nights.

brit likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

awesome,glad you enjoyed it sir..:)

rbilly likes this.
  18. vittocia

vittocia Active Member

As wet shaver and collector ( my wife might says hoarder) I say it took guts to open it
    like getting a brand new car but from the seventy's
    you can write your own history not take up on someone else's
    but I know they give a good shave you can get them on ebay for $20
    but NOS unopened I think your talking $100 plus at least
    Congratulations and well done mate
    Paul

I have 3 of these but the packs are all this shape but I can't make out the date code
    IMG_2891.JPG

brit and rbilly like this.