The Slant Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Terry, Jul 22, 2018.

?

I use a slant razor because

1. OK OK I USE A SLANT!! there I said it...

59.5%
  2. What was the question again?

4.8%
  3. It just looks so cool

16.7%
  4. It was love at first sight

7.1%
  5. to spite my nose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. ARE we there yet??

11.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Well it showed up in the mail box early, so I guess I get to shave with it tomorrow morning.
    Meet my Parker 55SL Semi-Slant Razor.
    20190619_210240.jpg 20190619_210310.jpg
    The razor is slightly heavier than most, but the handle is much of the weight.
    Seemed to ballance out the head nicely.
    Installing a Feather blade, the blade fits nice with no play.
    Now to see how it mows the whisker down.
    ;)
    tp

tjsgarden, TestDepth, pj3r and 3 others like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I didn't say that I didn't like it, Terry, I said paying 7x the amount for the **Hoffritz wasn't worth it, because it's the EXACT same razor head. The handle is a little fancier. I liked it just fine. I will say that a slant razor for me is superfluous, as I (when I shave with a DE) incorporate a slant motion. If you close you eyes, there is zero difference between the Merkur 37C and the Hoffritz.
    **Disclaimer: I bought one with the original silver case and the original mailer in almost like-new condition.

3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Joseph for clarification.
    Some are happy with slants, others wonder what the deal is all about.
    The head of razor is the business part other than grip of a tool, the head is the most important thing to me.
    tp

Linuxguile likes this.
  4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Good morning everyone
    Tried out my new slant, me likes it, here's my opinion of it. Remember this is only the first time I have used it.
    First, the handle is fatter than most but not overly heavy, the pattern is such that grip is very good to excellent. Loaded it with a new Feather blade expecting to use two blades for the morning work. Well the first pass went well and seeing as one report said it was a milder shaver, it may be, but it still holds its own when put to the test. Now "most" torqued slants give me just a tad more life out of a blade, even though this is just a small twist, it seemed to do just that. I used the same blade for the 2cd pass and other than a small tugging at the very end around the chin, it was good. The head shave was as good a normal too.
    I am clean as usual, with no issues.
    Now this is my first shave with the razor, but it won't be the last.
    I will say it doesn't have the blade feel or loud report some of the other tools that I use have.
    So for a venture into the slant razor realm, the price is good, the quality is great. The only thing is if you like a light razor, say a bakelite, this razor is on the heavy side.

20190620_063815.jpg

Ta all
    Enjoy
    tp

Wilco Roos, TestDepth, pj3r and 4 others like this.
  5. desafetyrazor

desafetyrazor New Member

I love my Merkur 37c. I just get great shaves with it. My theory is something about the twist of the blade (added stiffness to the edge?) seems to help, along with the guillotine effect.

Linuxguile and Terry like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Great!

I'm using a Parker 55 Semi Slant with a Kai blade, I used a Feather blade in it too. The thing I found with slants is the blades seem tolast a smidge longer before going south. I have a 37, nice razor.
    Thanks
    tp

7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hello all.
    Thought I'd check in about the Parker 55SL razor. Been using it for the last 4 days and I must say it's a nice shaver. The handle is heavier than most, but this makes ballance easier, especially when shaving my head. The blade fits correctly, the coating is good and the price is acceptable. I will go out on a limb and say it might be the best slant to buy first, if you dont have a slant. I am a head shaver so ballance and weight is prime, but if you only shave the face, the weight is more or less irrelevant, to me, anyway.
    I loaded it with Kai blades along with Stirling Bay Rum, a two pass shave is smooth and clean with no issues.
    I always use a blade only once, per shave.
    With linear razors I need to use two Feathers, but with the Parker 55SL, one Kai blade did the whole shave. I might be able to do the same with Feather blades using the 55SL, that would be nice. So next week I'll go to the feather stash.
    20190627_202406.jpg
    Till next time..
    That's my slant, on slants ;).
    tp

8. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

My regular rotation includes:

DSCF0004 - Edited.jpg
    Merkur 37c HD and:

DSCF0003 - Edited (6).jpg
    RazoRock German 37 HD handle

9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Linuxguile and brit like this.
  10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD August 2nd
    [​IMG]

Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    EDRIO#100 Walbusch Humpback Slant
    Shark Platinum (5)
    Yaqi Moka Express (26mm, Frigate Class)
    MWF
    The Veg

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Wilco Roos, Primotenore, brit and 2 others like this.
  11. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Yes!
    Great shave Andrew!
    Nice
    tp

brit and Linuxguile like this.
  12. James Kleinkauf

DSCF0009 - Edited (4).jpg
    Parker 55sl Semi-Sant razor / Parker (2) / Simpsons Commodore X3 Best Badger / Pre de Provence shave soap

13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thanks Terry!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

brit and Terry like this.
  14. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Wonderful James
    tp

brit and Linuxguile like this.
  15. James Kleinkauf

Thank you sir.

brit and Terry like this.
  16. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I think you are right, one complaint I have with aggressive razors is that the blade has more exposure and they tend to catch on my beard and tug, which results in a painful shave.with with my slant I got a close shave without the tugging, I think that torque in the blade gives the blade more backbone so it does not flex when mowing down thick facial hair.

17. James Kleinkauf

DSCF0008 - Edited (1) (1).jpg
    Maggard Slant MRG handle / Astra SP (1)
    This razor seems to twist the blade more than the Merkur 37c and RazoRock German 37. It's also more aggressive and requires more careful blade alignment. Still, I can get smooth, efficient shaves with it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Finally! Is that the inaugural shave, Andrew?

Linuxguile, brit and Terry like this.
  19. James Kleinkauf

DSCF0001 - Edited (3).jpg
    The Putali slant is a Asian clone of the RazoRock Stealth slant​

20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I have one of the heads, great shaver.
    tp

brit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.