The Health Club

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by wristwatchb, Sep 25, 2018.

1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:happy096:

brit, Paul Turner and PLAla like this.
  2. wristwatchb

I'm pulling for you! It will be fun watching you achieve your personal goals. My doc recommended a free app called LoseIt! to help me keep track of my food choices, weight, and exercise. I also purchased an inexpensive digital scale to keep me honest on portion sizes. I'm a numbers guy, so this has helped me. If you're looking for a tool to help you, it might be worth a try.

brit, MntnMan62 and PLAla like this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Charlie, what terrific news! Almost 75 pounds lost in a year is just incredible. Well done! You are an inspiration for many on here and elsewhere.

brit and wristwatchb like this.
  4. PLAla

Morning exercise question......

We moved and are getting things setup, including our treadmill. We have a good spot for it now and can actually use it. I've contemplated trying some exercise in the early mornings before work. This would probably be around 5:00am. My main questions are logistical, for muscles and the body. I've read that morning exercise is great but you have to feed your body some protein very soon after the exercise. I know very little about that kind of thing.

Anyone exercise early in the morning, and if so, what are your recommendations for eating, stretching, etc. Any advice is helpful!

5. wristwatchb

Thanks Perry. I appreciate the encouragement and kind words. :)

brit and PLAla like this.
  6. wristwatchb

Perry, I'm also interested to hear what folks have to say here. As for protein, I like to have a couple of boiled eggs during the day. You can boil up enough for the week and keep them stocked in the fridge. I eat an avocado every morning with my breakfast. Although not the best source of protein, it contains healthy fats. (Aldi has the best prices on them. around here. They keep long enough on the counter or in the fridge that I buy enough to last a week or so.)

Based on a suggestion from @Paul Turner, I also add 10 g of ground flax seed and 10 g of chia seeds to my cereal each morning. This is a source of both protein and fiber. It's good for heart health also.

Sometimes, I'll include a tablespoon of almond butter at breakfast. Good taste and another protein source.

I target somewhere around 1000 calories for breakfast. It's my big meal of the day and seems to work for me.

Congrats on getting moved and unpacked!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Bama Samurai, brit and PLAla like this.
  7. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Regardless of when you work out, you have to help the body recover after a workout. For weights, protein is important because lifting weights causes slight tears in the muscle which need protein to repair. This process helps build muscle. After a cardio workout, depending upon the intensity of the workout, you absolutely need to replenish fluids and electrolytes that are lost from sweating during a cardio workout. And a little protein can also help. I'm not a trainer or physical therapist but this is what I've been told by everyone I've spoken to who I have trained with and respect. So, if you exert yourself, you have to help your body recover. If you run on the treadmill in the morning, drink some Gatorade or other drink that will replace lost electrolytes and then have your normal breakfast. Otherwise you may find yourself dragging long before lunchtime and throughout the day.

8. PLAla

Thanks! That certainly makes sense. I would probably use a 20-30 minute cardio session a few times a week. Or, at least I'd like to try it.

brit, MntnMan62 and wristwatchb like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

One way to "feed it" is to drink "G Zero" right afterwards-it's Gatorade with out the sugar. I'm not claiming that I exercise at 5 AM, but I do find my Saturday workouts are better than those Monday and Wednesday, as on Saturday, I go in the morning. As for stretching, that's pretty major before an exercise routine. Wprking the hamstrings and doing a set of leg lifts set me up well for the treadmill. I think I'm beginning to ramble, but I hope my comments help some.

10. PLAla

Thanks, Paul!

brit and Paul Turner like this.
  11. Paul Turner

You're welcome, Perry. In fact tomorrow morning, I'm going back after being away for 3 weeks because of the syncope attack. Neurologist says it's OK. Easy does it the first few times, though. In fact, now that I brought up the "G Zero" I would love to find some "mini-bottles" of it for the gym. (Oh I see you noticed when I said that a few posts back).

wristwatchb, brit and PLAla like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Back from the Gym...even with a brief workout I feel tired. I am quite out of shape. Gonna take a few trips to get me back IN shape. This will be a GRADUAL process-getting back to the normal workout. But, I'm glad I went today.

wristwatchb, lightcs1776 and brit like this.
  13. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

It is the small steps that get you to where you want to be. Each time you decide to go to the gym will be another small victory to be celebrated.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

14. Paul Turner

Sure will. I'll keep bringing water and the wet rag until it gets cooler out.

lightcs1776 and brit like this.
  15. Paul Turner

The next big thing on my Health list is to find a new neurologist. At my appointment last week, he said he is winding down his practice.,I actually had been thinking about a new one anyway-closer to me, and especially IN MY NETWORK. Unknown to me, he left my network at the beginning of the year.

16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

If for weight loss:

I'd do a low carb protein shake and a capsule or three of cayenne extract ten minutes after completion. Cayenne speeds metabolism. Do not eat beforehand, especially carbs.

The issue you'll face is evening hunger. A daily eating window of 12+ hours makes it harder to get your metabolism into starvation (burn fat mode). This is where carbs mess people up. You'll need to calculate energy burned versus expended and be sure to cause a deficit. The bulk of your food (by mass) should be shifted towards fiber and protein. Limiting carbs to starches will help maintain stable blood sugar and give you consistent energy. Moderated use of natural caffeine before and after workouts is also beneficial to many.

Also, in the morning, the lactic acid crystals produced by exercises will make you feel sluggish and heavy. Strict hydration routines will be needed to help your muscles clear the offending chemistry.

17. Bama Samurai

Congrats on climbing the mountain.

18. PLAla

Thanks, Chris!

brit likes this.
  19. wristwatchb

Thanks for the kind words, Chris. I currently average 201.8 lbs, based on the most recent 19 measurements, with a sigma of 1.3 lbs. My average is very slowly trending toward 200 lbs. But who's counting? ;)

brit, Bama Samurai and PLAla like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Watching people win makes me smile.

Don't get too caught up in the numbers now. Water weighs a pound per pint. Simple hydration level will give you +/-2.5 lbs, and this is also affected by salt intake, etc.