Does speed matter?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by peacefrog, Feb 20, 2007.

1. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

We hear lots of advice about blade angle, pressure, and length of strokes, but I've never heard anyone mention the speed of the stroke. It seems to me that the blade would cut more easily if the stroke is swift rather than slow. As a woodworker, I think about using a hand plane. It takes a certain amount of speed to get a good cut or the plane sort of chatters its way down the board. Do you suppose the same thing might apply to shaving? Should we be advising short, swift strokes?

2. Will

Will Nevermind

I like to use a quick stroke.

I feel if I go too slow that the hair gets tugged or doesn't cut at all.

3. Baron

Baron New Member

That's a tough one. I find that a really slow stroke makes it harder to keep the angle correct, cause I concentrate too much on it, plus the blade starts to tug.

But on the other hand, too fast when starting and you're likely to mess up just as much.

I guess I'd describe the best speed for me as "a little slower than freefall" any faster and I'm forcing it, slower and I start to get tugs

4. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

excellent ideas Bob, it so happend that today after a long time I got that BBS faceturbating shave again.. everything just fell in place. the right amount of lather versus right speed I went pretty swift on the cheeks , around the chin I slower with speed due to the curves. but I got an amazing shave today and part of it is due to probably right speed versus great lather...

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

It depends on good my technique is and how awake I am at the time. I'm not ready to do laps araound the speedway unless I feel like replacing the turf with a skin graft.

6. xChris

xChris Member

Yeah speed matters. I use "confident" quick strokes, and get good shaves. My wife shaved me herself for the first time. She was a little nervous (she'd never shaved a face before! :D ), so her speed was slower; I had to ask her to speed up to get better cutting action & less tugging at the whiskers.

7. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

A lot depends on the razor as well. In most hands......speed does not mix well with a Futur or a Slant.

8. Baron

Baron New Member

I actually use a slant everyday!

Although I have at times nicked myself when I'm not paying attention and going too quickly.

9. fuerein

fuerein New Member

Personally it depends on where on my face I am shaving. The cheeks - yeah speed through them no problem. However, the neck near on either side of my esophagus/windpipe/whatever it is called, I have to slow down alot to avoid nicks.

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I agree. That specific area of the neck is tricky so I go slow and easy. On the other hand if I am pressed for time I rather not shave. I try to maintain the same tempo otherwise not too fast not too slow. I believe this is important in developing consistency in your shaves. Each of us is going to have a different tempo is just a matter finding that comfortable rhythm that gives great shave after great shave.

Raf

11. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

Interesting idea. There probably is an optimum speed, and shavers reach it by experience without pondering it too much. But I think there probably is a "too slow" and "too fast" in shaving, just as in courting.

Ozwhisker likes this.
  12. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I experimented with this yesterday and the day before with mixed results. I made a conscious effort to make my strokes quicker and perhaps a bit shorter. While I got marginally closer shaves, I paid the price in increased irritation. I reckon that I inadvertently increased pressure while increasing speed...a bad tradeoff in my estimation. So I'm going back to a more moderate, though certainly not slow, stroke.

13. timc

timc New Member

Slow and steady is fine in my books, as long as you have a steady hand. :cool:

14. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I never really thought about the speed of my shave strokes, though it makes sense that on the wider, flat "plane" of your cheeks and below the sideburns you could go faster, and then slower around the Adam's apple. I guess I do go a little slower on my neck. Hmmm...something to experiment with anyway.

15. vittocia

vittocia Active Member

not to fast on its strawberry cream

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Lots of blade buffing here, especially on the neck. Less prone to nicks and irritation, I've found, but skin must be stretched tight. Injector or T II is best for it but a DE will do fine.

brit likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

use what ever speed you need to get the job done..:D

Yehuda D likes this.
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Speed only counts when reviving necro threads.

19. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I normally use short quick strokes. But on my neck I take it a little slower.

brit likes this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the razor aggression IMO, I can shave very quickly with a Schick L with a Twin II blade or with a Gillette super speed regular and receive good results.
    But take a Gillette adjustable set on 9 you might want slow down a little just to enjoy the shave and it will shave very close to the skin because you have increased blade gab and exposure and you should feel the blade.
    Have some great shaves!

EDC and brit like this.