Favorite Coffe Brand/ Flavor

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Daytonkb, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Dunkin Donuts has flavors...sounds like DD black is your #1.

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

one can only hope

BamaT likes this.
  3. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Maybe someone who,has already experimented with this can chime in with an answer. What effect do differing levels of grind, i.e. very course, course, medium, fine, etc. have on the flavor profile and strength? I currently grind my beans sort of medium fine, not as fine as getting ground coffee from a store.

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

May depend on the method of brewing but I think the general rule for matching grind to brew is,

too coarse = under-extracted (weak, less flavor)
    too fine = over-extracted (too strong/bitter)

Edit -- yeah, just found this...

AwesomeScreenshot-www-homegrounds-co-coffee-grind-chart--2019-08-03_4_07.png

Problem is, who determines what standard constitutes coarse vs fine vs all the other permutations?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  5. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

I have a cheap Krups coffee grinder and from what I've read, with whole beans and using a drip coffee maker you want to grind to the consistency of sand which is 10 pulses with the Krups. It's what I do and seems to work well.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    gorgo2 and BamaT like this.
  6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

We currently have a Cuisinart cone shaped drip maker. My grinder is also an inexpensive version. I’ve been holding it down for several seconds; in the morning I think I’ll try the 10 pulses method.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    gorgo2 likes this.
  7. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Right now I'm using Java Love Bad Ass Brew whole beans. I grind them at home and use a french press to make cafe au laits. When I don't have time for the french press I will use the Keurig. My favorite coffee for the machine is Donut Shop Coffee in the Regular variety. It's nice and strong and full flavored. I tried the Dark Roast version and found it to be too much for me. The Donut Shop is made by Green Mountain Coffee for Keurig. So, those are the two brands and brew methods I'm using at this time.

BamaT and gorgo2 like this.
  8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Eight O'clock Columbian whole bean.

AeroPress coffee maker.

Slightly coarse grind. 190 - 200f water. Made strong and diluted post brew.

One cup at a time. Always the same. Always fresh. Always the same. Always delicious. Always the same.

And, did I say always the same.

Never, ever, try any else anymore. No need

BamaT and gorgo2 like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

French Market dark roast with chicory.....usually mix in some Cafe Bistelo to add a kick. Flavored coffees are for sissys....just saying.

gorgo2 and brit like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

i like coffee flavor..with a touch of irish creme sometimes of course..kicking horse "grizzly claw" is my coffee of choice at the moment..

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

That sounds like it belongs in the "manly" thread for sure. I think only Chuck Norris could drink something more manly.

And a great way to charge premium pricing for otherwise poor quality coffee.

brit likes this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yes Sir you hit that nail right on the head.

brit likes this.
  13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

My favorite is Montecristo 1835 Habana Blend, beans of course. And I always keep Eight o'Clock Colombian beans around.

brit likes this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

horrified.png

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I belong to an online coffee service that provides fresh-roasted (to order) coffees from 40 different roasters across the USA. Coffees are roasted upon your order and shipped FRESH directly from the roaster. Over 400 coffee varieties to chose from. I've order about 20 bags of all types since last March. Great variety, customized to your own tastes, preferences, and brewing method. Priced from $14-19 for 12oz bags, cheaper upon subscription.
    I'll still grab a bag of Peet's at times but I truly enjoy the diversity of tasting a broad range of coffees.

https://www.drinktrade.com/

16. brit

brit in a box

BamaT, richgem and gorgo2 like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Jars and cans, yep.

brit likes this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

brit likes this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Once I saw shipping is included, I'm considering it. Ever gotten one from them you didn't like?

brit likes this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes, probably two of the 20+ bags ordered didn't meet my expectations.
    Not inferior coffee, mind you, just not to my particular taste. ...And thats the risk and FUN of trying new and different varieties.
    You're able to truly customize the type of coffee you'd like to try.

Pretty good deal as shipping is included and you'll get the coffee within a week of ordering directly from the coffee roaster a day or so after the roast. FRESH! (fresher than 2-years, to be sure!)

brit and gorgo2 like this.