Boar in the shower

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by lightcs1776, Aug 5, 2019.

1. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I wa gifted am amazing boar brush, by Graydog on another site, and absolutely love it. My wife currently uses a synthetic in the shower. However, I think she would really appreciate the size of the boar and I am more than willing to order her a new brush. My question is, would it be an issue keeping it in the shower? It would sit on a shelf and should be fairly dry each day. Also, should I get two, so they will dry better?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PatrickA51 and brit like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Pretty humid in a shower, Chris. Is it a bath/shower with a curtain that you could leave open? That might be just fine.

lightcs1776 and brit like this.
  3. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Boars tend to take a lot longer than badger or synthetics to dry. I never use a boar two days in a row for that reason. I'd be concerned about a boar being used every day and being in a humid environment. A perfect environment for growing mold. And it won't be the outer bristles that you'll need to worry about. It will be more towards the base of the knot that may never dry out. For that kind of use and storage location I'd use a nice large synthetic. Razorock makes a Beehive brush that is very large. It's 28mm and very soft. They also have a larger brush called The Hulk which is 34mm, but that may be too large. If she likes a longer handle like the Rubberset 400, Razorock makes both a regular sized and an XXL sized 400 with synthetic knots. The regular one is 24mm and the large one is 34mm. Boars are pretty cheap brushes as well so if you see signs of mold you can always just toss it and get another. But the question then becomes how long was the mold in there. I suppose your idea of switching off between two could work but I would store them in another room other than the bathroom. As Primo said, if the air circulation in the bathroom is good, it may not even be an issue.

brit likes this.
  4. vittocia

vittocia Active Member

I have a horse hair brush it is a cross between badger and boar its not to bad
    IMG_2679.JPG

5. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

@lightcs1776
    I would set it on the counter near the bathroom sink to let it dry. I really can't pass judgement on a boar brush because 90% of my brushes are Badger. But I would say to take it out of the shower and set it on the sink. That's what I do even with the synthetic brushes I have they seem to dry pretty quickly.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use a(very inexpensive) #6 horse hair from best shave. I've used the brush for many years. I shave every other day 3 days a week sometimes on a weekend, I dry it with a towel and let it hang by the bathroom sink with no problems, its always been dry the next time I used it. While I do have central ac, I live in south Louisiana, I have never had a mold problem that I notice, the brush is white. You could get a cheap #6 use it or just let it sit in the shower for a while and see if it gets moldy:happy088:

brit likes this.
  7. lightcs1776

Thanks for the replies. It will likely be forgotten if she puts it on counter, so I think I will have her stick with synthetics. I might look for a much larger one though.

brit likes this.
  8. MntnMan62

If you really want large, check out the Razorock brushes. Check out The Hulk or the F-400 XXL. Both 34mm.

image.png

image.png

PatrickA51, brit and lightcs1776 like this.
  9. MntnMan62

They both appear to be out of stock. But you can email them and they will let you know when they expect them to be restocked. $25 for such a massive brush isn't bad.

brit and lightcs1776 like this.
  10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

11. vittocia

vittocia Active Member

PatrickA51 and brit like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

:D

13. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

brit likes this.
  14. lightcs1776

I ended up ordering a Stirling Kong, which arrived today. I had to order her some more shave soap anyhow. She already likes it. Thanks for the help with selecting another brush for her.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  15. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

lightcs1776, PatrickA51 and brit like this.
  16. lightcs1776

Here is the difference between the two brushes my wife now owns. I have found I really like big brushes myself. [​IMG]

brit likes this.
  17. MntnMan62

Nice choice. Not huge but big enough. Same brush as the RazoRock Monster. I actually think RazoRock makes it for Stirling.

18. lightcs1776

Thank you, Sir. I would have gone with the Monster if it were in stock.

MntnMan62 and brit like this.
  19. lightcs1776

She had her first shave with the new brush, as well as a new soap for her, Stirling Coconut Lime. She loved both, and said the brush lathers much better than the smaller one did. The Stirling soap was also a winner, although it was more lime than coconut. The advice given here was spot on.

brit likes this.