Favorite Coffe Brand/ Flavor

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Daytonkb, Oct 26, 2013.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'm still working through it, man, and it really isn't that bad.

HolyRollah and brit like this.
  2. Macbeth

Macbeth Active Member

About 3 years ago, after I was sick and tired over OVER ROASTED coffee (Charbucks) and terrible restaurant coffee, I decided to go top shelf.
    My present favorite is ETHIOPIAN YIRGACHEFFE, freshly roasted ad arriving at my door 3 days after(Highland Coffee, Baton Rouge La just off the LSU campus. )
    Super fresh and perfectly MEDIUM roasted, it is wonderful. Brewed in a CONA glass hand blown Vacuum coffee maker from England.
    Life is too short to drink the House Coffee, or Wine, or Scotch.
    Took me awhile but I finally realized I m worth it.

gorgo2, brit, Tiredricefarmer and 3 others like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Life *is* too short and you are/I am worth it. Or, as a friend recently said to me when I ordered a "well" drink ... "Get the good stuff. You're not in college anymore." :)

GatorJoe, brit and wristwatchb like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The quandary you now face, having experienced the pinnacle of the caffeinated realm, is you are now utterly incapable of being adequately satisfied with anything else.
    A cross to bear...
    :eatdrink013:

Macbeth, brit and Edison Carter like this.
  5. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Just bookmarked their website. Thanks for the recommendation, I love Ethiopian medium roast coffees and as soon as I drink through some of the coffee I have now I'll be giving this a try.

brit likes this.
  6. Macbeth

Macbeth Active Member

Yep, I just can't go back to the realm of regular coffee. Even on my motorcycle camping trips, I bring a small French press and a zip lock of ground Ethiopian.

Gotta appreciate life's little comforts.

I've come a long way from Vienna sausage and crackers for lunch while fishing from a 12 foot bateau and a wooden paddle for locomotion and my pockets stuffed with hot sweet potatoes on a cold morning of squirrel hunting with only 8 shells and my father's Winchester Model 42 .410 pump. And Better come home with 8 squirrels because my uncle cooked supper (Squirrel Sauce Piquant) for our family. And when I fished at night for catfish, that would be our lunch in the morning
    Yessir, I've paid my dues!

brit and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

They Roast Community Coffee right across the river you know.

I get a kick out of people with over priced over hyped coffee. It's ok though... I say the same about cigars and guns. People try to make everything into a status thing.

I live just off LSU campus myself. Happy to say the Highland Roasters get none of my money. I'll stick to my low class Dark Roast and Chicory....Casa de Garcia maduros... and revolvers.

GatorJoe and wristwatchb like this.
  8. Macbeth

Macbeth Active Member

WCHNU:

Glad to see a nearby fellow coffee drinker!

I lived in Port Allen 2 miles from the Community roasting plant. Smelled it roasting for years as I crossed into Baton Rouge for work. And drank it for 30 years. Good coffee. Lived in New Orleans 5 years and drank their chicory blend too.

To each his own.

Shot a few revolvers and still have one for my left pocket from when I made traffic stops and drug interdictions.

Went to autos and taught combat shooting, so have a few of those too.

Now, my big adventure days are ending and I'm going to "experience " lots of new ideas and things "just because"

I understand about the "status people."
    I'm not one of them.

I never was a follower of anyone. I actually thought I was probably just as smart as the next guy----so why would I even care about what they think?

And to think.......I'm still kickin at 76!! Must have done a few things right.
    Cheers!
    Mitch

wristwatchb, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

who are the status people? :)

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I hope to be kicking at 76..only 26 more years to go.

I love the roasting smell. I use to hit a little chinese buffet over that way. Have not been in a while. I also stop at the waffle house by walmart a lot. Love their coffee.:cool:

wristwatchb and brit like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Don't get me started on gun snobs....

brit likes this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

My Bride and I picked up a bag of Community Coffee based on your recommendation, Fuzzy. We had the Cafe Bustelo you recommended awhile back, and it was a nice change of pace. We recently tried Cafe Du Monde as well, but we weren't fans of that one.

We're pretty easy to please when it comes to coffee. We've been drinking a brand we had never heard of (Beaumont?) from Aldi, and it ain't bad.

brit likes this.
  13. wristwatchb

I know, I know...they have guns that go BLOOM, BLOOM, BLOOM!!!

Bully

;)

brit likes this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Only the girly ones....

wristwatchb and brit like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesome. Which community? They have coffee houses here too. Much better starwhateverthename.

Paul Turner, wristwatchb and brit like this.
  16. wristwatchb

Fuzzy, we have Café Special (medium-dark roast). Once we finish the open container of Beaumont 100% Colombian from Aldi, we'll give the Community Coffee a whirl. We knock down a lot of coffee, so it won't be long. Thanks again for the recommendation.

We don't do coffee houses. We have a travel mug, and we'll stop at the local Five Star Food Mart for a $1 fill up. It's actually good coffee.

I also have some beans from a local roaster here in my neck of the woods. Sometimes, I'll hand grind some beans (good arm exercise) and use our French Press.

brit likes this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. That is a great way to do it. I do that at times with morning shifts. Murpheys express has a decent dark roast. Always good and hot at 0430ish.

brit and wristwatchb like this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Black Rifle Coffee Co.

They donated a couple of bags of coffee to me, and my station, the other week. Very stong, flavorful, and smooth. Excellent tasting coffee. Plus, they have hilarious videos.

19. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

Cafe Bustelo and Cafe Pilon from Roland Roasters in Miami. Great coffee and great price. Both are espresso. Brew in a 6 cup Moca pot. Their decaf is just as good as well.

brit likes this.
  20. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I will 2nd fuzzys suggestion about community coffee. I like the Colombian Roast from them. Better flavor, at least for me. I'll always have cafe bustello,
    Also, here in my neck of the woods, HEB grocery store have the house brand, it's very good stuff. I buy it in whole bean and grind my own.
    Anyone have any link to an inexpensive, not cheap, but inexpensive, French press?

Also, I like to make mine in a percolator. Boy oh boy that tastes good also.

brit and Paul Turner like this.