D/E razor amatuer restore thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by vittocia, Aug 10, 2019.

1. vittocia

vittocia Active Member

I recently did a home restore on a fat a handle tech.
    To my surprise after striping the gold tone plate from the razor with a cutting wheel and then buffing it
    I was very happy with the results it now has a copper handle brass neck brass base plate and copper head
    not bad for a scratched up old tech from my razor box.
    Please share your story's and pics of your home restores and breathing new life in to tired old razors .
    Paul
    IMG_2828.JPG IMG_2837.JPG IMG_2847.JPG

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Keithmax, ghostlife, BamaT and 9 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The copper is actually brass, but with a higher content of copper compared to regular brass. It looks great when it's polished.

Keithmax, ghostlife, vittocia and 2 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I had similar results with a NEW long comb.
    Here it is as I found it in the wild.
    NEW LC from the wild.gif
    After hand rubbed with a cotton cloth and Brasso.
    New LC polished.gif It has the same reddish more copper in the brass cap.

Three Single Rings; L to R 1921, 1920, & 1906 by the serial numbers.
    Single Ring 3.gif
    I have only put Mother's polish one time to the black tarnished middle one, the '20.
    1920 Gillette Single Ring first polish.gif

4. brit

brit in a box

awesome..

RyX likes this.
  5. vittocia

vittocia Active Member

The long comb looks great mate
    also have you considered getting the best of your single rings replated ?
    Paul

Keithmax, brit and RyX like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Little jealous of your 1906. Mine is a 1908.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

They have way to much character to mess up with replating.

8. vittocia

vittocia Active Member

I respected your opinion mate
    thanks

brit and RyX like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Many people think it is a great thing to bring them back to past glory. I guess no real right answer.

brit, vittocia and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Replated is an option, but I enjoy a piece showing it's age. Doubt I'll get the '06 Single Ring plated because the silver is mostly intact.

I recently came into possession of a' 34 New Deluxe, called a Red & Black for the case. The previous owner chose a fine nickel finish instead of the original gold. It does look good like it is now and I'm thinking about sending a bar handle to the same company for nickel to have them match.

Tapatalk Spam Tag

brit and vittocia like this.
  11. vittocia

vittocia Active Member

Do you have any pic's?
    as for the replating I had am Gillette $1.95 replated locally in rhodium it looks great I can take some pics if
    any one is interested
    Paul

wristwatchb, brit and RyX like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Sure do! Here's the '34 NEW Deluxe, formaly in gold wash but now in glossy nickle. The handle is a little brassy but still has enough nickle that it's giving me the replate itch.
    SOTD 07242019 '19 BoS & LE30DC brush.gif
    Note the bottom of the OC bottom plate. It's thick and flat using more brass than the standard NEW short or long comb. I'm guessing that's part of why it's "Deluxe". Gary @brit might share some info about these since he's gathered quite the selection of vintage Gillettes.

wristwatchb and brit like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Yes! Please do. I enjoy my 195 and was fortunate to find one in very good original nickle finish. Those done in rhodium look great. It's a slightly whiter silver and if I understand the difference modern plating is thicker and last longer than the vintage finishes.

@vittocia - Are you a member of Paste & Cut? I recently joined because I'm hoping to visit my son that lives in Melbourne. Wanted to see about the Aussie shave scene so I'll know what American gear to bring in case I have opportunity to meet anyone and trade gear. Not sure what I can get through Customs but I'm going to give it a go.

wristwatchb and brit like this.
  14. vittocia

vittocia Active Member

Wow that sure is a fine looking razor mate I will take some pics in the morning its 1am here and I need to hit the sack
    we are so lucky Gillette made their razors in such numbers as we can enjoy them today
    Paul

RyX and brit like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

i prefer finding well preserved originals..though more pricey..

BamaT and RyX like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

will look fantastic..

RyX likes this.
  17. vittocia

vittocia Active Member

Yes I am a member of P&C I live in Byford Western Australia which is about 2100 miles from Melbourne
    If its just razors and brushes I'm sure it will be fine
    Paul

RyX, wristwatchb and brit like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Opps, I misspoke. The '06 is in gold wash and will be joining someone else's den shortly. The '20 (which I keeping, decent condition) & '21 (less so) are in silver.

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

was speaking of the deluxe handle sir..:)very cool on the single rings..

RyX likes this.
  20. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

This is me as well, but partly because I simply don’t have the time to devote to a restoration. If I had the time and proper tools, I’d probably enjoy it. Retirement is getting closer....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    RyX and brit like this.