What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Basil, they can be challenging to find in the larger sizes.

2. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree. And when they do show up they are either really expensive or badly damaged.

Steve56, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Well, that one was expensive, about like a good new Filly 14, and it’s the same size (the blade is shorter though and it’s much lighter), and as well made if not better ground, and that’s saying something if you know Fillys. It does have some light pitting further up near the spine, but it’s not an issue except for cosmetics and it isn’t very noticeable. And the scales are vintage ivory.

4. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Argo Steel was just the proprietary steel Engels made with their Formula and Tempering techniques. A lot of Manufacturers in the day had their own foundries. Argo steel had a formulation that they thought produced a blade that would have good edge retention. Wester Bros steel was called Manganese steel which contained a higher amount of manganese which helped with edge retention.
    Back in the day their were hundreds of foundries in Germany.I think their is only one or two Today.A lot of Manufacturers had their own foundries and proprietary processes back in the day.Its one of the reasons I like Vintage Blades for their unique steels and manufacturing processes.
    Regards Mike

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Thank you, for the explanation. I like the history behind these razors. I like Vintage Razors for their history and character. You can get a fabulous looking $30 razor, that is 100+ years old, and the quality is better, in my opinion, than most modern blades produced today. The modern razors are crazy expensive too. . There are exceptions though, but not for the price.

6. DaltonGang

Tonight's shave was with an Oldie, but Goodie, from Germany. I had a super smooth 2 pass shave, that left me BDBS. Zero issues, from this work of art.

Razor- F.W.Engels "Special". Solingen Germany
    Brush- B400, by Tom(@twhite ). Omega Boar knot. It just feels right, in every way.
    Soap- "More For You". Turkish Soap. Like ARKO, but better
    Aftershave- Vintage Avon Spicy. Hitching Post Decanter

P8121108.JPG

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

8. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Koken Barber Supply Co.
    Army and Navy razor
    B0F287D5-F169-4EC1-A2B8-BE973B53DF09.jpeg
    Thought the Army and Navy razor needed a Resolute soap. :)
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

9. brit

brit in a box

very nice sir..cool razor..

Billyfergie, Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  10. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary... tough for me to pass up a nice Navy razor. :happy088:

Billyfergie, Karl G and brit like this.
  11. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Michael Waterhouse Custom Smiler FBU
    Strop Martin J. Rubin 4601 New York
    Semogue TSN LE Boar
    Tabac Soap
    Tabac Aftershave Balm
    Aramis Tabacco Reserve Edp

12. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

11/16 Theo Kochs Marcella
    Marcella.jpg

This is yet another in my collection where the 200k diamond has turned the edge into "near shavette". All I did last night was 12 lap on chromium oxide pasted suede paddle strop, 60 diamond pasted balsa, 25 linen, 50 horse. I am still amazed at how this paste changes the edge. :)

13. DaltonGang

Just out of curiosity. How are you able to own a rifle, in the UK??

Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  14. Jamie Mahoney

I'm 60 owned firearms since I was 16 and shotguns, you would be surprised how many people in the UK own rifles and shotguns, yes it's difficult to get a license and you need a solid reason for owning one, and if you use it for hunting, then the landowners permission is needed, plus all your medical records and Police records will be looked at, in fact, they will go through it with fine-tooth comb, If you have a history of depression or you take antidepressants you will never get a license, if you have a violence on your record or ant-social behaviour then you have no chance, plus they will make checks of your premises and you must have the correct gun or rifle safe including ammo safe, plus you will only be able to own x amount of ammo, I have never found this to be a problem, I use mine for hunting.

15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Gentlemen, very cool razors.

TestDepth, Karl G and Jamie Mahoney like this.
  16. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same here in Canada.

17. Jamie Mahoney

Thanks, Keith.:)

Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  18. DaltonGang

I own all sorts of toys, that go bang. I also have a lot of ammo. Most in the safe, but many throughout the house, and one always with me, 24/7, when I leave the house. I don't have "Big Brother Nanny State" looking into my house, and my business. I like it that way.

19. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

F187B5A5-2A40-4E16-9FFB-B06F08CD97DE.jpeg
    4/8 Puma - outstanding razor

Edison Carter, Keithmax, brit and 7 others like this.
  20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

E0DEEABB-7A2D-4C61-B861-BC320FA6DB3A.jpeg

Big to little, kamisori today with an edge a little under 2” long. Affectionately called ‘terror sticks’ by their fans, they’re great for getting into tight places and can do the whole job very well. This one takes a fine edge. It’s a restore, sent to me with heavy wear. I wrapped sandpaper around a water bottle to re-form the omote (the soft iron side that was badly worn). It took 4 layers of electrical tape on the omote to keep the bevel at a reasonable width.

Soap was MdC agrumes and a splash of l’OP Cedrat finished up a dolphin smooth shave.

Edison Carter, Keithmax, brit and 7 others like this.