Hello from Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by jgreenepa, Aug 14, 2019.

1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I’m a retired 72-year-old who’s been using the same Schick Krona DE razor since purchasing it for $1.49 in the late 60’s. My son introduced me to another forum where I heard about this one. I recently upgraded my Krona to a Karve with an E plate. Loved the face shave it gave me. The Karve was great for my face, but did not work well for my head. I’ll be sticking with my Krona for my head until my B plate arrives from Karve. Got some great feedback on the other forum from experienced Karve shavers, one of whom also used to shave with a Krona. He said the neutral blade extension on the Krona was pretty much identical to the B plate on the Karve and provided the same level of aggression and efficiency. In any case I look forward to meeting and participating in this friendly and supportive community.

2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and welcome!

RyX and Hembree like this.
  3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome from Alabama the Heart of Dixie. Karve owner and lover here.

RyX likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @jgreenepa! Glad you signed up and brought your experience with you. This is your own personal thread right here. Feel free to ask questions. While you are getting settled in and figuring out where stuff is, folks can answer and offer opinions, advice, even actual information!

I've got a question for you - with that mix of Vintage & Modern DE razors, what's the rest of your set up? Any favorite brush, lather, blades, or post shave products? There's no wrong answer because it's what works for you.

Hembree likes this.
  5. jgreenepa

I use pre shave oil, my own mix, followed by cremo shave cream and finally Taylor’s on top. I use a feather blade in both my Karve and my Krona, 2.5 passes WTG, XTG, AND ATG. My brush is currently a Plissoft Synthetic. Post shave is Cremo Moisturizer followed by Old Spice Classic from India. That’s about it.

wristwatchb, RyX and Hembree like this.
  6. Hembree

What part of Pennsylvania are you from? My wife grew up north of Johnstown in a little town called Southfork.

RyX likes this.
  7. jgreenepa

I’m from southeastern Pa, in the western suburbs of Philly.

8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

9. Hembree

:happy088:

10. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Welcome from Maryland

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Welcome aboard. Im north of Philly now, but spent the better part of a few decades in CC Philly. I do not miss commuting on the Schuylkill at all.

RyX likes this.
  12. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Welcome from West Tennessee!

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    hightheir2.gif
    High their, @jgreenepa , glad you have joined us. I just came through your state twice on a trip to RI.
    zwelcome2b.jpg

RyX likes this.
  15. jgreenepa

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Much appreciated. I'm sure I'll learn a great deal from the accumulated knowledge on this forum. I've always been kind of an "it is ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy. Never used cartridge razors, When they first came out, I thought they were overpriced, and my opinion hasn't changed. All two of my sons were taught to shave with a DE razor. Much less expensive, and more pleasureable, as far as I'm concerned. My Krona always worked for me, and just lasted. I just bought a replacement for it just a few weeks ago, after more than fifty years with the original. Of course, I didn't pay $1.49 for the new one. I bought my first new design razor after spending a great deal of time reading posts on that other forum I joined. I picked the Karve, and am not sorry I did. I really didn't know what a BBS was, until I used the new razor. My only issue was with the shaving of my head. The E plate was much less forgiving than what I was used to, the Krona on my dome. I've ordered a B plate, and based on excellent feedback from a great deal of experience with both my razors felt comfortable ordering the B plate for my dome. Hopefully, all will work out. I'll keep folks posted.

16. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD. Great to have you join us.

Hembree likes this.
  17. jgreenepa

I'm retired now, but fortunately, worked in Princeton for the last 25 years before I retired. I never commuted, I was a good Septa customers. The great thing now is that I get to ride for free everywhere that Septa goes.

wristwatchb, RyX and PanChango like this.
  18. jgreenepa

I was just in Havre De Grace at the Decoy Museum with my wife and friends this last weekend. Ate at the Tidewater Grille, great food! You Marylanders really know how to do Crabcakes!

19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

20. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

I know the museum well, I have a quite a few decoys myself.