16mm IN THE HOUSE!!!

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Rev579, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Talk about a quick turn-around! I ordered a few 16mm knots August 1, and they arrived already. Stressing a necessity of being within the 16mm diameter, even around the glue bulge and stating they could accommodate the request, I was resigned to waiting through most of August. Not this time!
    They are soaking in hot water for 5 min, then I'll shampoo them. The badger stank is among the worst scents to lather up with.
    IMG_7771.jpg

Keithmax, dmshaver, cliffb599 and 5 others like this.
  2. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Out of the 4 knots, the initial rinse and soak revealed the loss of only 3 hairs. After lathering with shampoo and rinsing, there were only 2 more. Promising knots.

dmshaver, brit and RyX like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I recall you asking about the specific size knots. Who did you choose to purchase them from? Are you making new handles, or doing restorations?

brit likes this.
  4. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I contacted Frank Shaving and they assured me the size would be true. Some of the other providers have allowed the glue bulge(horizontal expansion above the visible glue band) to far exceed the stated "knot size", which has created some complications in a few restoration I have tried. I think the 16's work really well for me when set at a 12mm-16mm depth. I won't be able to achieve this with the 19th Century brush, but with the spec integrity of these knots, I should be able to take my pick with any of the other handles for restoration.

KUSTOM, RyX and brit like this.
  5. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

It worked! Previously, I was unable to reknot this handle because of the glue bulge. Below is with a 16mm Finest knot from TGN:
    Gillette Travel handle & 16mm TGN.jpg

Today this all changed with the arrival of the Frank Shaving knots.
    IMG_7828.jpg

I've had this handle for so long it's not even funny. I've almost listed or offered the handle for sale countless times due to the inability to find a suitable knot. This knot is a 16mm/56mm Finest with a very friendly glue bulge. I was able to load the knot from the bottom of the ferrule, feeding it until the bulge found the ledge used to hold the Original Rubberset collar and knot in place. The finished brush now has a 42mm loft, set at a 14mm depth. I have not set the knot/ferrule/base yet, but when I do, it will be with silicone.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Enrico, canoeroller, Jorvaljr and 3 others like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

absolutely awesome..

7. brit

brit in a box

i must find one ,very cool..

8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Congrats! I’ve had 2 and I’ve destroyed both and it broke my heart both times.

brit likes this.
  9. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

That’s awesome! I have 2 I need to reknot!

brit likes this.
  10. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

There was zero modification made to the base or ferrule! I did pick the old epoxy material from the ferrule and base using dental tools. I reminded me of finding items in situ during my summer dig years ago. Slow and easy.

brit likes this.
  11. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I like it! Seriously.

SOTD-1.jpeg

It lathered up really well. After soaking the brush, I used the same amount of ToOBS that I normally do:
    SOTD-2.jpeg

Whipped up the lather in no time at all-less than a minute. If I added more water and worked it longer, I imagine there would be more lather, but I’ve grown to like this consistency.
    SOTD-3.jpeg

After 2-full passes, without rendering the great stuff by squeezing the knot, I still had enough for at least 2 more passes.
    SOTD-4.jpeg

I’m really pleased with these knots. I’ll use the little Gillette Travel Brush next.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    brit likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

fantastic looking set sir..

13. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Since the general purpose of this brush was to be used with a Shave Stick, I used my homemade shave stick and face lathered. Worked like a charm.

SOTd.jpeg

Razor: Gillette 102 1907 Gold Splined Knob(G 84363)
    Blade: Perma-Sharp Super
    Brush: Gillette 102 w/FS Finest 16mm
    Pre-Shave: Face Lather
    Lather: ToOBS Mr. Taylor’s Travel Stick
    Aftershave: Stirling Deep Blue Sea Splash
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Deep Blue Sea Beard Oil
    Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    brit likes this.
  14. brit

brit in a box