Well wishes to The Superior Shave

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Edison Carter, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Don’t forget the good folks at Goulet Pen in VA, Jet Pens is also good.

basil, wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  2. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Sad to see brick and mortar close. Store was local ish to me 50 min drive.

Somewhat relieved to see his web site is still up and running.

I still felt like kid walking into a magic/ toy store visiting his brick and mortar store

Jarrod did have a big sale recently on merkur products. He stated that he will stop carrying line because amazon is now selling merkur products.

I love the convex ark!!!

I too wish him well.

I’m actually working on my next order from him.

wristwatchb, RyX, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Amazon will only be as good as the little guys it pretends to partner with right before it crushes them into oblivion.

FWIW, Walmart is still the largest purveyor of Chinese manufactured goods. Currently they might have curtailed the encouragement they were giving vendors to move manufacturering to Mexico and China (in the name of partnering for profit).

Anybody want to guess where Wrangler and Levi's jeans are made?

RyX and Chuck Naill like this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

You can still purchase American made denim. https://lcking.com/

and Duck Head Khakis https://www.duckhead.com/products/k...n&utm_term=duck head khakis&utm_content=Chino

Most folks are not going to pay over $100 for a pair of jeans and khakis. For them the outsourced manufactured appeal is going to be more affordable.

Amazon, Etsy, and eBay just provides the consumer with the same power of the corporation that has been outsourcing for decades. I've bought apparel and accessories for my grand daughters direct from makers in Asia for several years.

5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Same for packs - you can get American-material and American-made packs from Tom Bihn for $150-300. People are not going to buy these for their kid’s school packs even if they do last for years and can be repaired.

wristwatchb, RyX and DaltonGang like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I can see outfits like Amazon reducing the number of Walmarts the same way Walmart killed so many 5 & dime shops. Their business model of undercutting the little guy and drive him out, then raise prices isn't new. It's been happening to small downtown squares since suburbs were invented.
    Remember when old Sam Walton was proud to post "Made in America" signs in his stores? As long as the Chinese goods are of acceptable quality consumers will blissfully save a buck. No one seems to see we've become a service and consumption economy. The Etsy model is rare exception of kitchen produced economics sprinkled among the garage sale items. I'm afraid it'll get gobbled up by outfits like Amazon.

7. Chuck Naill

McKinley Tariffs and the SR industry was a big deal in 1890.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  8. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

Remember Sam Walton? Hell, I remember Ike!

RyX likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

(Apologies to the Original Poster for the Topic Drift. It happens)

You have an advantage on me, Sir. I'm chronologically challenged. I was born after JFK was elected, but before he was inaugurated. Sometimes I'm ashamed to admit That 70's Show was much like my teen years. I was fortunate to have my own version of Red Forman to raise me up right. He did supply me with a station wagon for those Saturday nights at the drive-in theater with my girl.

10. Edison Carter

A few years back, the company I was working for bought an Italian piece of equipment. (largely because the great like-machine fabricators of the US are gone)

When the installation and training techs were getting ready to leave, they were inquiring where Levi's could be purchased. (it was common for those travelers from the EU to ditch the clothes they came with and return with suitcases packed with brand new "American Made" jeans without customs issues.) Can you imagine the look I got when I told them they were now made in China and could be had at Walmart for $20. Due to tariffs, the same Chinese Manufactured, American Made Jean's were $75 back home, where the Italian made jeans were $25.

RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  11. Chuck Naill

Are you familiar with the popularity of selvedge denim? These are the Levis offerings. I doubt you will find them at Walmart for $20....LOL!!
    https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/clothing/men/jeans/c/levi_clothing_men_jeans/facets/feature-apparel-features/selvedge?Camp=SEM*EC*US*EN*DSA - Men*goog**20181102*&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhdTqBRDNARIsABsOl9_GBJoljKPM7bJsUtk7q4v7-oeBgUVIjvEzy0aSdjWEbSq0AXMxWPcaAkE1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edison Carter likes this.
  12. Edison Carter

K. I took my free look. They were getting ready to send an invoice.

I wore only Levi's most of my life.
    They were the first pair of jeans I bought with my own money earned delivering newspapers at 12y.o.

When I took up horses, I found Wrangler to be preferable due to the stitching style on the inside leg. (less irritation).

Today mostly Riggs (by Wrangler) workwear. Best Cargo pants. You just can't really carry a phone on a belt anymore.

13. Edison Carter

Oh......
    Forgot to say I love the $100+ pants that are already full of holes and worn out.

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  14. Chuck Naill

I wore Levis 501. I have two pair of Wrangler as well 13MWZ . The hip pocket is high for riding, but it makes carrying a wallet more comfortable. However, I have converted to a leather card holder and money clip.

15. Chuck Naill

:bounce015:

Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

That’s when you sell them to teenagers for more than you paid for them!

Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Time Bandits I've got an idea.gif
    I've got an idea forming in my head... Boar Brush Break In Service. I'll buy new Omega brushes, use them for my favorite part of their life cycle, and upsell for more than what I paid as "Premium Comfort Assured" lather applicators.
    Please form a line. No pushing or shoving.

brit, wristwatchb, Steve56 and 2 others like this.
  18. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

:happy088:

brit, RyX and Edison Carter like this.
  19. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

I bought a razor from him once. I found his You-Tube channel... Interesting. His style and presentation isn't what you'd expect for a business that specializes in what is essentially expensive luxury goods. I'm glad his online store is continuing because he has a good selection. And to be honest, there's zero chance I'd ever go to Jacksonville. The Florida climate alone might kill me.

20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I caught these jeans on sale and switched over to them last winter. The are heavy duty and allow nice freedom of movement. My singing has also improved since I started wearing them.

I have two pairs and plan to wear 'em until they have as many holes as $100 designer jeans. I'm guessing they will last a few years.

They are very uncool and non-designer big boy jeans. Perfect for me.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Edison Carter, brit and RyX like this.