Has your RAD burned out?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by gorgo2, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Apparently, mine hasn't quite gone away. I picked up this 1947 SS yesterday. (It's my THIRD!!!) Sold the first two, but it's still the GREATEST SS of them all. (Seller's pic)
    Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 13.06.24.png

2. brit

brit in a box

very nice Joseph..will you keep this one?

Primotenore likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Article Team
    Maybe...

brit likes this.
  4. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

No, not yet and I hope it never does!:duel:

brit, gorgo2 and Terry like this.
  5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Mine never really took off, but I had a strategy.

brit likes this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Honestly, it is just shaving any more. The magic is gone.

My kit is pretty tidy and I have no desire to buy another razor. I could probably let a few go and not notice.

/Now get off my lawn... :p

7. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

Pretty much. I have a decent stable of straight razors now and I don’t get that warm and fuzzy feeling seeing other ones. Seems like 20 is plenty. Different non-US shaving creams are my current interest and aren’t particularly costly. My biggest interest remains simply shaving.

wristwatchb and brit like this.
  8. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

Not yet. After a year and a half, I'm still enjoying my obsession. But the purchases are becoming few and far between. In the meantime, I enjoy my rotations.

9. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I figured out pretty early that if I had a Sheraton, I didn't need a more expensive '34 Aristocrat. If I have a 1947 Super Speed I don't need those earlier 1950's Gillettes. This saved me money and this strategy gave me the same or similar experience.

Recently I have considered either Japanese or Swedish straight razors, but every time I get close to buying one, the thought that it's not going to result in a better shave takes over.

If I were to suggest what a new member do I would say decide where your interests lie and don't just buy a razor because it's cheap or because me or anyone else says its the greatest of all time.

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

It hasn't burned out, but thankfully it has slowed down ALOT!! :) However that said if I had the money I would get the Tradere OC rerelease. :happy088:

11. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Until.....;)

brit and Primotenore like this.
  12. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Mine hasn't quite burned out, but's slowly abating. Maybe I just need more therapy.

13. Primotenore

Article Team
    Until...I find a NOS in a box.

brit likes this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

:)

Primotenore likes this.
  15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Pretty much gone. I either gave away or sold most. I did happen to
    See a AOS branded new Thiers Issard on FB aa couple weeks ago for $40 and couldn’t turn it down, but that was my only purchase of anything shave related for well over a year. Still many soaps left, I’m working through, enough blades to last a lifetime. Enough straights to rotate through daily for a week or so.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It burns out??

17. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I think I my RAD may be just beginning. Hear me out! I just bought the new Karve Gladius Handle and a new top cap for the OC-B plate that's on the way. This way, my poor developing RAD afflicted brain thinks, now I'll have two Karve razors, one with a B bar plate and one with a B OC plate. Uh oh, when I joined this forum I had my Krona razor, period. My next acquisition was a Karve with an E bar plate which was just a tad too aggressive for me after half a century of shaving with a blade neutral razor. So I purchased a B-bar plate (neutral) and a B-OC plate which is equivalent to a C bar plate. I was content, I had covered the bases. Then my three sons' birthdays were coming up. They are all wet shavers, so I offered to buy them each a new razor. All of them wanted to try AC blade razors. The oldest wanted the Oren, the next the RR Hawk, and the youngest asked for the new Enoch razor which is supposedly being released by Classic Shaving at the end of the month. I was able to order a 316L stainless Enoch for half of it's upcoming retail price. My error was in trying the first of these new AC razors. The Oren was definitely not my cup of tea, to large and unwieldy for me. I also knicked myself in several places remaining convinced that these razors weren't for me. But then there was the RR Hawk, definitely a horse of a different color! I've written elsewhere about my experience with it. I prepared the blade this time and had an entirely different time of it. This razor was light, and much smaller than the Oren. I liked it so much, I decided to keep it, and ordered a replacement from IB for my son. So here I was, still having my Krona, owning a new Karve and now a new RR Hawk. Now as I said earlier, why not order the new Karve Handle with a new top plate. I can use my new OC-B plate in it. When I joined this place I had my Krona. Now in short order I find myself in possession of a Krona, two Karves and a RR Hawk. Yikes! Is this RAD????

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

18. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

I just bought my 12th razor yesterday, a Parker Variant, my first adjustable. I've been spending 80-90 bucks a month on shaving gear.

When I get a package on my porch, I feel like I did when I was a kid and I just got my Captain Video decoder ring in the mailbox. If this is an obsession, I can live with it and will continue to enjoy it. It beats alcoholism or drug addiction, no? Maybe I'll reach a point when I'll feel this infatuation is excessive or crazy, but not right now thank you very much.

By the way, this is off-subject but I wrote to Italian Barber a year ago, suggesting that they sell samples of their aftershaves. They answered my letter agreeing that it would be a good idea, but they still haven't done so. So after spending $22 recently on one I didn't like (the second time this happened), from IB, I logged onto Maggard's website, and they have a lot of aftershave samples for sale. I ordered yesterday about a half-dozen samples from them, and while I was at it, the Parker razor and a brush. I like IB and I've been buying most of my gear from them, but I think they're losing business with their policy because I'm sure a lot of us customers don't like to commit to $20+ on an aftershave we've never smelled.

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

hello Jeff..welcome to TSD...;)

jgreenepa likes this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

i still enjoy buying soap/aftershave sets and the occasion razor..mostly replacing razors with nicer/cased examples..still a few different things i would like to try,maybe even a straight razor..this is a great hobby for me and a functional one.

chevyguy, wristwatchb and jgreenepa like this.