Repairing a Slim Aristocrat

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by José Santos, Aug 15, 2019.

1. José Santos

José Santos Active Member

Hi guys,

Today I saved a Slim aristocrat!

The guy known nothing about it, and thought it was to put in a shelf on a barber shop =/ He didnt believe I really wanted it for shaving myself!

So first photos:

Screenshot_20190815-220348_OLX_Portugal-01.jpeg Screenshot_20190815-220334_OLX_Portugal-01.jpeg Screenshot_20190815-220405_OLX_Portugal-01.jpeg

2. José Santos

Now after some baths and tlc:

IMG_20190815_215633-01.jpeg IMG_20190815_215614-01.jpeg IMG_20190815_215626-01.jpeg IMG_20190815_215807-01.jpeg

=))

Hembree, EDC, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  3. José Santos

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Hembree, RyX and 178-bplatoon like this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Good job.....its what keeps the older razors working...:happy088:

Hembree and José Santos like this.
  5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I would resist forcing them.
    Maybe start with a long soak (or two) in liquid dish soap and then some more lubricant.

Hembree, RyX and José Santos like this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Only thing I can add is also keep working the TTO to open and close the doors on the razor while it is warm or hot after giving it another soap bath and keep doing the same periodically if you lubricate it again. Sometimes it takes 24 to 48 hours to break up whatever is causing it to not open or close correctly. It might also help to use a rubber mallet and tap the razor along the handle and TTO knob after lubricating like you would with a rusty bolt.

Hembree, brit and José Santos like this.
  7. José Santos

Well it will sleep on a dish wash soap bath and tomorrow I will give you news.
    Thanks for the help!

Hembree likes this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've had good luck with many Gillette adjustables by hot but not boiling water and Dawn dish soap soak. An old toothbrush gives a gentle scrub where needed. Then dribble mineral oil (Baby oil is the same but with scent added) down the top of the handle, up from the bottom, into the adjuster ring, and work it in by operating the TTO knob and adjuster. Follow that with another Dawn soak. It's help dissolve crud inside the handle. Only had one out of more than a dozen this didn't bring back to service.

9. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

+1 to mineral/baby oil

10. José Santos

So quick update: warm bath all night together with Fairy soap. Today I applied some Ikea mineral oil that I had at home. Looking better!! Thanks. Its less stuck right now.

So another 12h bath and when I return home later, lets oil it again.

RyX and brit like this.
  11. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I had an old 1930's Sheraton that I soaked many times, but finally it worked.

brit and RyX like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Another method of cleaning - ultrasonic bath like those used to clean jewelry. I've not tried it, but I hear the vibration of cleaning fluids helps to break up crud on the inside of the handle tube.

brit likes this.
  13. José Santos

If I buy a ultrasonic cleaner my wife kills me xD but yes, could be a solution. I will continue with the baths for now. Thanks

brit and RyX like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Does she wear jewelry? Do a little research. Germs and bacteria! She needs an ultrasonic cleaner to reduce spreading and carrying all that grunge, plus her stuff will sparkle when it's clean. Make sure you get one that's just big enough to hold a DE razor...

15. MarioT

MarioT New Member

I also recommend the ultrasonic cleaner.
    I'm using one found on 'that auction site' for less than 35$. Beware that real cheap ones are just a pager vibrator motor stuck to a plastic container.

Used it on a lazy slim cleaned a lot of white stuff inside. Squeaks like a new after.

RyX and brit like this.
  16. José Santos

After some 48h baths its a bit better but the problem should be mecanic =(

Some pictures side by side with other slim that I bought from a great member @Sparrow

IMG_20190818_104502-01.jpeg IMG_20190818_104353-01.jpeg IMG_20190818_104309-01.jpeg
    The slim is a I1 and the aristocrat is L1.
    After shaving with the aristocrat I was cut in 5 places, the 5 seems like a 9 adjustment.

And as you can see on the pictures they look different =(

RyX likes this.
  17. José Santos

The safety bar looks to have a different angle, more curvy, and the base plate is higher than the slim in the same dial number.

RyX likes this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Looks like it's "Overclocked". That's a borrowed computer term for when a device has been pushed past it's normal settings. Here's some extra curricular reading that may help you alleviate the issue.

At The Shave Den
    At The Shave Nook
    At Damn Fine Shave

José Santos likes this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The way to check if it is under or overclocked is use a feeler gauge.

Here are the gap settings
    http://gilletteadjustable.com/misc-2/adjustable-razor-blade-gaps/

If the gauge shows larger gaps it is overclocked, to fix when you adjust the dial down to 1 you need to push in that clicker spring on the dial to turn it back to 9 then check the gaps again.

If the gauge shows smaller gaps it is underclocked, to fix when you adjust the dial down to 9 you need to push in that clicker spring on the dial to turn it back to 1 then check the gaps again.

José Santos and RyX like this.
  20. José Santos

RyX likes this.