Absolutely the best head shave of my life today!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by jgreenepa, Aug 16, 2019.

1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

My son, who introduced me to this forum and has the same interest many of his fellow millenials have in wet shaving, gave me a few gifts yesterday: the Grooming Dept's Pre-Shave creme, and an Omnishaver for my head. I've been shaving my head with my Krona for many years and it takes sometimes up to three to five minutes to get it right. Normally I just wet my head in the shower, apply my homemade preshave oil, and then rub in my Cremo shave cream and brush it up into a nice lather. I then proceed to shave my head with my Krona, as I've done for the last decade or so. When I'm finished, there is generally a weeper or two which I've grown used to. Fetch Alum block and that's that.

This morning, I applied the new preshave and rubbed it into my scalp as the instructions said for about a minute. The only difference in my routine this morning was the preshave and the use of this new Omnishaver for my head. Wow! My head shave was finished in less than a minute, and closer than I think I've ever done with no need for the Alum block. For those of you who are headshavers, this is the only way to go! I received a true BBS for the head. I then used my Cremo moisturizer and the result was a velveteen scalp. My wife was amazed, and even suggested I use a scented aftershave. She usually complains about them. Go figure!

My face shave was great as usual, but incorporated the new preshave and seems closer. I still love my new Karve, and that relationship looks like its going to deepen over time. What can I say, just a great shave this morning!

2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Awesome !

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Interesting design. Two opposed sets of blades set in an oval holder. No stick handle? Are they 7 blades cartridges? When they get dull you toss the whole unit?

brit and Hembree like this.
  4. jgreenepa

There are two models. The entry level is the classic and that you just throw away after four months or so, but the Premium which is the one my son bought me takes replaceable blades. The developer spent 10 yrs designing it. It's actually designed to have one's bald head as a razor strop and sharpener. It's a very clever design. There are two opposing five blade sets. As one cuts the other is stropped and sharpened on one's scalp. They warn you not to move it sideways as it will cut you if you do so. I just mimicked the video and had a complete BBS head shave in about 45 seconds. Unbelievable!

5. jgreenepa

I have to qualify my last post . The OmniShaver, which is the only cartridge design I’ve ever used gave me ingrown hairs on the back of my neck. I stopped using it in early September, and now use my Jones Shake Sharp, Vector, Silversmith, Schick Krona or SS Lupo for all my headshaves. No more ingrown hairs!

RyX and Terry like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Don't shave bottom to top, ever!
    Bumps on the head will result.
    In order to alleviate this I do first pass top to bottom. Then I start 2cd pass the back of the gord, go back to front.
    If I'm using a MMOC or an AC razor, with a fresh blade, I am clean and smooth. If I am using a super speed like razor, I'm ok clean, but nothing like the others get me. I too tired to use cart, the bumps were awful.
    Anything I shave my face with, I use on the head.
    tp

brit, jgreenepa and RyX like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Glad you revisited this thread Jeff @jgreenepa. New doohickeys like that OmniShaver help drive improvements in the field. Meanwhile folks keep using the good old tools that have always worked.

I've only recently joined the Head Shavers so my depth of experience is shallow. Being an aggressive / efficient face shaver I've been trying what I have on hand. Think I'll break out the Cremo SC and see how it treats me. I'll give @Terry 's top to bottom & back to front pattern a try too. I shave my face every other day , and have been doing the same for head shaves since I started on 1st of December. Haven't yet gotten a BBS yet. Still getting used to the lack of hair & feel of stubble.

jgreenepa likes this.
  8. jgreenepa

Terry:
    I’ve shaved with my Krona and now with the other mentioned razors bottom to top with no problems for many years. I do believe that the cartridge doohickey created the problem for me. I’m back to shaving bottom to top with my regular single blades with no problems with ingrown hairs. The only time in my life that I had them was this last August when I was using the Omnishaver.

RyX and Terry like this.
  9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Lucky you!
    I go against the grain and it's real bad.
    tp

RyX likes this.
  10. jgreenepa

Rick:
    I shave the dome in the shower. And use my wife’s conditioner, which is remarkably slick and helps me attain a regular BBS. I use my right hand, I am left-handed, with my chin on my chest to check after each short stroke, the progress of my shave. I never use long sweeping strokes on the dome, - too many crevices and valleys. Slow and steady works for me.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

RyX and Terry like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

I know the Scientific Method is to reduce the variables for objective observation. So I tried same razor and fresh blade (Yaqi DOC on long heavy SS handle) with recommended soap (Cremo SC) and described technique (top down, and back to front. with no bottom to top). Considering that I'm only 6 shaves in on my head space it went well. No bad nicks with a reasonable reduction. I've heard the recommendation to use short strokes and that makes sense - the whole surface is curved and I can't even see what I'm doing on a good portion. Also figuring out how to hold a razor behind my head is new. I'm not one that shaved the back of my neck between hair cuts. Now I'm catching it, too. Incremental improvements in technique + getting experience with both hard and software on hand = gradual improvement!

Terry and jgreenepa like this.
  12. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

Jgreenepa, you're a good writer.

jgreenepa and Terry like this.
  13. jgreenepa

Thanks, Carson, but I should qualify my initial enthusiasm for the Omnishaver. It’s actually the only cartridge razor I’ve ever used, and it gave me ingrown hairs on the back of my neck. I trashed it! There are only four razors that I’ve found meet my satisfaction threshold which is providing an effortless dome and face shave. They are in order of preference:

1. Shake Sharp Model 1.5
    2. Blackland Vector
    3. RazoRock SS Lupo
    4. Colonial Silversmith

jmudrick likes this.