Gillette Old versus New Improved versus New

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GlennConti, Aug 17, 2019.

1. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

let me ad this little picture:

2009-01-11 Rasierertypen.jpg

dmshaver, brit and GlennConti like this.
  2. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Can I please borrow from you sir? So..... Version 9!

brit likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

very cool..one could add the new deluxe side profile ..

GlennConti and MntnMan62 like this.
  4. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

And how about showing a New Deluxe? It is sufficiently different from the New Improved as it does not have the two posts that slot through the bottom plate. I'd post a picture but for whatever reason this forum never accepts my pictures and always says they are too large, even when I text them to myself.

GlennConti likes this.
  5. GlennConti

As far as the, the picture in the in the first post, what I was trying to do is solve as simply as possible the question "How can I tell the difference between the old, new improved and new?" By adding other razor types the picture gets murky to a newbie. Again for this exercise I am trying to keep it simple. That is not saying that something more complicated can't be done for the more advanced enthusiast. :)

6. brit

brit in a box

20190817_224516 (2).jpg

MntnMan62 likes this.
  7. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I hear you. But the New Deluxe fits into the historic timeline you've created. And the shave from it is very different from the New Improved, at least according to my face. I'd say the subject of the razors you're discussing is only as complicated as the variations made by Gillette.

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

?? It's different from the New Improved because it's not a New Improved, it's a New (1930/1935-36). Not really much different from the New Long Comb in its geometry, mostly just a thicker flat bottom baseplate. The handle resembles the New Improved but is not identical. It's additional weight contributes to a somewhat more aggressive disposition than the Long Comb.

The Short Comb is the New model with a fundamental difference in geometry and construction.

https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/is-your-gillette-new-razor-a-de-luxe.42405/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    brit likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

very true,so it becomes a variant..as would be the british new variants..keep it simple..

jmudrick likes this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Sure. All the variants are well covered on the Mr.Razor site.

brit likes this.
  11. GlennConti

THE-NEW.jpg

I think it is more proper to call the razor with the horizontal slot "THE NEW" instead of just "New". So version 10.......

Also I think we have a tenth and final version.

brit likes this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I vehemently disagree but whatever . Your page..

brit likes this.
  13. GlennConti

Really. This is a collaboration and I would like to get a consensus if possible. You think THE NEW is off base?

brit likes this.
  14. GlennConti

Mr Razor labels his "The NEW". And on version 9 I labeled it simply "New". But "THE NEW" is possibly too specific for an entire type?

brit likes this.
  15. GlennConti

1) New
    2) THE NEW
    3) The New
    4) The NEW
    5) NEW

Which is best?

brit likes this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Mr Razor did it because Krumholz did it first I'm guessing. Waits correctly does not. Gillette didn't.

Cases don't count, there are cases which don't use caps and cases for other razors which do. That's called visual style. No Gillette text, in either ads or communications refers to the razor as the NEW but always the New Gillette Razor.

Trust me I've researched this thoroughly and had this discussion on B&B. I don't really care to repeat it here and if you want to follow Me. Razor and Krumholz it's your page. I will continue the practice of calling it the New .

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    brit likes this.
  17. GlennConti

So, to be crystal clear... Number 3 above is best? The New or simply Number 1... New.

brit likes this.
  18. GlennConti

Or are you saying the label should be...

6) the New

?????

19. GlennConti

1) New
    2) THE NEW
    3) The New
    4) The NEW
    5) NEW
    6) the New

Which of the six above is the best label in your opinion? Please pick a number. Thank you.

20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Gillette practice was "the New Gillette Razor".

[​IMG][​IMG]