Gillette Old versus New Improved versus New

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GlennConti, Aug 17, 2019.

1. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Please pick a single number 1, 2, 3, ..., or 6. Thank you I must be dense, I don't get what you are saying?

brit likes this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm newly confused.....lol

brit likes this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Understandable. I'm going for a shave.

brit likes this.
  5. GlennConti

Thank you so much sir!!! I will change the label to 6) if there are no further objections from anyone else. I will give some more time for commentary but as you say I don't want to rehash long debates that have already taken place elsewhere. Haha - shesh How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

brit likes this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Hey it's up to you. Kids on the internet are used to NEW but I prefer historical accuracy. In my view the New is easily distinguished from the New Improved by the addition of the word "Improved" but lots apparently disagree. Anyway your work is appreciated.

brit and GlennConti like this.
  7. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

For the most part I've seen it referred to as #4. The NEW.

brit likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yup. There is popularity and there is historically accurate. Just to be clear.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    brit likes this.
  9. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Then Mr. Razor must be wrong.

brit likes this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It's not a moral judgement, call it what you want. Mr Razor did what Krumholz did before him as a matter of clarity and convenience (unnecessary IMHO but fine). But historically accurate no, when Gillette referred to it in text it was always the New Gillette Razor. Mr. Razor, Waits, Krumholz, Appleby etc, God bless them all, put their pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us. Trust but verify.

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  11. GlennConti

30-03-08-P090-P091-Gillette.jpg

30-03-08-P092-P093-Gillette.jpg

brit likes this.
  12. GlennConti

I am seeing, "The New Gillette" if it is at the beginning of a sentence and "the New Gillette" in the middle of a sentence is what I'm seeing. The blades on the package are simply "NEW Gillette BLADE".

I don't believe Gillette Safety Razor Co. had one consistent way of doing it, so any way is right.

brit likes this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

All Gillette advertising text referred to the New Gillette Razor. See again above. Obviously "The" is capitalized at the beginning of a sentence. Again your reference to the blade marking is visual style, not what the blade is referred to by Gillette in text.

brit likes this.
  14. GlennConti

Notice it says "A New Gillette Blade -- A New Gillette Razor". It seems "The" or "the" is optional. Also I gave you a choice of 3) The New or 6) the New and you chose 6).

brit likes this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yep the New. "A New" is a play on words. I'm done Glenn. Do what you want.

brit likes this.
  16. GlennConti

I think a capitalized "N" is correct and consistent. "the" or "The" seems to be preferred antecedent word, depending of placement in a sentence. However at times "THE NEW" is also used as a label when it is on a product. I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch over this.

THE-NEW.jpg

brit likes this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

So...we should capitalize MADE THE WORLD OVER by that logic . I'm sorry but no. I've said the words visual style multiple times now , it seems not be getting through . Oh well. This horse be dead. I guess I'll revisit it on another forum down the road.

brit likes this.
  18. GlennConti

So here's where I stand... In the original advertisement "The New" or "the New" was used. I believe some form of "the" should definitely precede the word. And the "N" should definitely be capitalized. Because "NEW" only appears on products like the case lining and the blade package and my label is NOT a product then the word new should not be in all capitals. Further I don't want to confuse people and make them think "The" is any more or less proper than "the". So, bottom line I am going to stick with the label as suggested by jmudrick as "the New" --- choice number 6. Case closed!

UPDATE: I am going to split the baby!

jmudrick and brit like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

well done sir..

jmudrick likes this.
  20. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

sure, you are welcome :)

brit likes this.