Question for you SR collectors out there

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Rusty blade, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I collect SRs. I have between 150 - 200 (lost count). I have a friend, who has a friend...who is a collector that wants to sell off his collection. I am wondering if any of you who collect have ever purchased someone else's collection? What do you look for when buying a collection? Do you have a ballpark price per razor that you look to pay? At this point I don't have a lot of information. I don't know if the collection is 50 or 500 razors, condition of collection etc..

The obvious need not be stated -- I want to see the collection, examine each razor for condition and see if they have been restored, taken care of, and stored properly (though I am assuming if he is a collector he has taken care of the razors), will he sell part of the collection as opposed to the whole, etc, etc. etc.

Any thoughts or wisdom to share?

Keithmax, brit, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  2. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Yeah. What's his name and how do I contact him? :happy102:

PLANofMAN, CastleShave, brit and 5 others like this.
  3. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I was expecting that question...:rolleyes005:

PLANofMAN, brit, lightcs1776 and 3 others like this.
  4. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I did look at purchasing a collection once. The guy selling it was very rigid. It was all or nothing. He had some very high end blades, and a lot of NOS. He also had some with broken scales, needing repair. At the time I was just staring and wanted the bottom end so to speak. Not a chance. Overall his price was good at that time, but too much for me. He had pictures of everything,, and they were well stored, and came with some display cases. His evaluation of it as a lot was about 1/3 of open market prices for it as individuals and nothing for the displays. For evaluations of large lots, the sales prices I have seen are way lower than individual piece prices. Between 25 and 40% actually. I did later on in my collecting buy some larger lots, 20 to 40 pieces and they were about 1/2 of individual prices. Collection size I would classify as a lot over 100 pieces. As always with straight, condition is everything. Also collectors that use their razors have different standards than those who don’t, and there is a group of collector that don’t care about blades, just the scales.

gssixgun, Keithmax, PLANofMAN and 7 others like this.
  5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

:signs011: :rofl:

6. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Ultimately it comes down to what’s in there. Is it worth it? And what will you do with it? SRs aren’t holding the values they were 2 yrs ago. Be sure to adequately make a reasonable offer and if you pass let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax, RezDog, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  7. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Do you have a strategy for what you collect or is it more random aka you see one and you buy it? If the former is true, would someone else's collection duplicate your own or add to your strategic goal? Seems to me that would be the answer if I had 200 razors. Any way, sounds like fun either way. :)

brit, Keithmax, RezDog and 1 other person like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you can buy the collection, keep what you want, and sell enough of what you don't want to recoup your initial outlay, it's a good deal.

Also, ask to see his hones and strops. That will tell you a lot about his razors before you look at them. (It's worth trying to buy them as well, depending on rarity and condition).

Edison Carter, brit, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  9. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

Hi do you or anyone reading this have any ""BISMARCK JR "" razors in your collection??
    Gra