GEM RAZOR MODELS

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ron R, Nov 8, 2018.

?

Pick the Gem you like shaving with, multiple choices allowed for different models!

1. Gem Lather catcher

26 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Gem Junior

27 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Gem 1912 Damaskeene

34 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Gem Micro Matic clog proof

34 vote(s)
    32.4%
  5. Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle (flying wing)

28 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Gem Micro Matic Open comb

40 vote(s)
    38.1%
  7. Gem Push button

19 vote(s)
    18.1%
  8. Gem G- Bar

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  9. Gem Feather weight

21 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. Gem Contour

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

If you are looking for a Specific GEM model we have covered you will find it on these Post #'s.
    GEM G Bar- MFG 1955-58 -Post #58 Gem G-Bar (2).jpg
    Gem 1912 after merger with Everready-MFG 1921-29 it has a stamp at bottom of head 1912 -Post #68 Gem 1912 (2).jpg
    Gem MMOC-MFG 1930-32 Bumpless base plate>1932-41 Bumps base plate -Post #82 Gem Micromatic open comb (2).jpg
    GEM Push button -MFG 1958-65- Post # 86 Gem 1959 push-button razor (2).jpg
    GEM MMBT Flying wing-MFG 1947-51- Post #96 Gem flying wing (2).jpg
    GEM MMCP Clog Pruf- MFG 1940-43 + Peerless Variant, MFG 1945 -Post #99 GEM Clog Pruf #2 (2).jpg
    GEM Feather weight, Generation 1-MFG 1950-53 - Post #107 Gem Feather weight (2).jpg
    GEM Streamline Jewel -MFG 1949-53- Post #151 streamline razor March 14 2019 (2).jpg
    GEM Junior bar -MFG 1907-11-Post #154 LC2 (2).jpg
    GEM Damaskeene OC - MFG 1912-15 - Post #157 Damaskeene OC (2).jpg
    Gem Junior Parade 1943 variant -MFG 1933-43 with different variants of handles - Post # 173 Gem JR Parade Mfg 1938 (2).jpg

GEM Time Line- Post #153 Many thanks to @mata_66 for his research on timelines. Mata_66 Beta.png
    GEM Razor Cluster review 2019 (2).jpg

For folks who have purchased a razor with out a manual or not sure about technique this should help.
    Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif
    Have some great GEM shaves!

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Latest 1.2 update for GEM-Everready-Kampfe Brothers(Star & Treet) Time line. Great History of these razors @mata_66 compiled that Millions of us users have enjoyed over the last 100+ years.
    ASR_Date_Chart (4).png ASR_Date_Chart (5).png
    Have some great shaves!

Rev579, Asafiev and brit like this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

@mata_66 has finally finished his version 2 & final one and it is a brilliant timeline piece of history with a lot of effort & of course time that was imputed for us just to enjoy for the future. Thanks from all of us who like this type of references!
    american-safety-razor-dating-chart-gem-ever-ready-kampfe-star (2).png american-safety-razor-dating-chart-gem-ever-ready-kampfe-star (3).png

Have some great shaves!

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Rev579, Joewa, Asafiev and 3 others like this.
  4. mata_66

mata_66 Member

5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I will have to buy a beer someday for your effort, good to see ya over here. It's been a while!

6. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

This is fantastic material.
    I took the liberty to convert this into a timeline web page.
    The following is a proof of concept and needs more work.
    Bits are missing, only the first few entries have images. An image for each different model would be great.

https://razors.click/asr/timeline/

Comments and images welcome :)

Rev579 and Ron R like this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

He sure did a great job on the time line of different brand names and it is quick to find a razor and some information if you happen to find one along our purchases of vintage razors. He did some deep research into advertisements of razor models and he also knows some folks who have large collections and are razor history keener s.

Joewa likes this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Well just added one GEM to my collection of excellent razors, this model is called GEM Junior Parade with the short taper plastic handle.
    The nice part of this razor it has the 1912 base plate with a slight change to the top cap(Why change 1912 base plate that is as close to perfect as possible must of been GEM thinking at the time:p)
    My shave today went flawless with no nicks or weepers with a GEM SS PTFE blade (5) and knocked off a CCS,DFS,BBs and the Alum block indicated very reasonable shave with almost no irritation=:happy093:
    I will shave daily for the next 7-10 days until I want to change things up again and give a detailed report of the razor.
    Gem Junior Parade  (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    brit, Jayaruh and Hembree like this.
  9. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Thanks Ron, you've given us some fantastic info on the Gem razors.

Hembree likes this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Found this advertisement on a razor box, we have to remember that in 1938 the Great Depression is still on with a deflation rate of -2.08% so prices are still dropping and company's are not making much money and are just in survivor mode and Gem mfg is no different than the thousands of company's world wide. This price for $.39 with 3 blades just blows me away but it was a lot of money to the average American in the Dirty thirties and today 81 yrs later with compound inflation is the equivalent of $7.10.
    But at the time it was a lot of money for someone needing a shave for his work place.
    This razor is made of solid brass head with a plastic or Bakelite handle. a excellent razor and will gives a great shave. I'm glade I purchased it and the handle is great in my hand.
    Gem Parade razor 2 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves

Chuck Naill, brit and Hembree like this.
  11. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Thank for sharing. I have one on the way and should be here tomorrow.

brit likes this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I'm really enjoying my Gem Junior Parade (mfg 1938) and I have a Gem 1912 (mfg 1928) and l like to compare the two razors just visually, They both are stamped at the base 1912 were the handle screws in. Both heads look the similar but there are slight improvements maybe to the Gem junior because it shaves smoother to me and handles a bit easier & nimbler because of its lighter handle & handle is easy to hold because of width and taper.
    Comparing Gem Junior Parade (mfg 1938) To Gem 1912 (mfg 1928) (2).jpg Comparing Gem Junior Parade (mfg 1938) To Gem 1912 (mfg 1928) (3).jpg As you can see the caps are very similar but the base plate is a little different, the safety bar on the Gem Junior is smaller and has less overhang and the base plate is not as deep as my Gem 1912, also the centre of handle is less forward on the Gem junior.
    Comparing the Gem Junior Parade (mfg 1938) VS Gem 1912 (mfg 1928) (2).jpg Comparing the Gem Junior Parade (mfg 1938) VS Gem 1912 (mfg 1928) (3).jpg The safety bar on the Gem junior looks a little more rounded on the safety bar edges and more material around the blade stops with bigger drain ports. They are punched from different dies when Mfg and the base plates are slightly different and the GEM junior parade winning my fancy by a notch for smoothness but end results are very similar shaves CCS,DFS,BBS range.
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    brit likes this.
  13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEM Junior Parade 1912 MFG 1938 Gem JR Parade Mfg 1938 (2).jpg

Weight: 1.5 oz (44 grams)
    Blade Gap : .021 thousands of a inch (.533 mm)
    Blade Exposure: Positive
    Blade : GEM Personna SS PTFE (5)
    Material : Brass, Plastic handle (handles can come with brass, brass nickel coated or a smaller version of Bakelite.)
    Handling : Very nice in the hand with the the Tapered Parade handle. Installing blades and removing are very easy. No blade overhang is a great feature.
    Shave #2 went well, no nick or weepers, Alum block indicated not much irritation and the final results were CCS,DFS,BBS
    Shave #3 I have a lot of confidence with this razor & soap so I put the razor into some GEM slides, J hooking and Buffing with excellent results. No weepers,nicks also no irritation according to the post shave with the Alum block. End result CCS,DFS,BBS on a blade with 8 uses.
    Shave #6 went well and I installed a new blade and it was a little rougher than normal because they are one of the sharpest blades made and it takes a shave or 2 to get very comfortable, 1 weeper from a blemish bump. End result as a CCS,DFS,BbS, Alum block indicated some irritation but a reasonable shave.
    Shave #7 went great & did some J hooking in a troubled spot. Used some Tabac soap for my final shave of the week of 7 consecutive daily shaves with GEM Junior.(Experience Test Complete)
    Conclusion : GEM Junior parade is just a great razor to own or at least the Gem Junior that comes in different handles if this one does not fancy your hand feel or appearance.
    This razor performed J hooking , buffing and the GEM slide maneuvers flawlessly because there are times you might have to use it on those tough whiskers.
    The GEM Junior can be easlily used as a daily driver for a Person with a Medium beard growth and not so sensitive skin like myself.
    As for the handle I found it great in my hand and also makes its own stand for convenience.
    If you are looking for a mid range aggressive and highly efficient razor I would recommend this one and enjoy some great shaves like I did.
    Review of Gem Junior Parade (2).jpg
    For folks who bought used razors with no user manuals & some other great information on shaving- how Gem grinds their blades!
    Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg GEM blade grind angles.jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    brit likes this.
  14. Hembree

Thought y'all would like to see this. Gem Parade on a Karve handle. Head was bead blasted to match the finish of the Karve handle. After a little patina sets in it should match up fine.
    20190819_143541.jpg 20190819_143703.jpg

brit and Ron R like this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's my pairing of choice with my 1924 Shovelhead as well, marvelous combination.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  16. Hembree

Thanks, I'll shave with it next month. The 30DC Singles September is coming up fast. Take care.

brit likes this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

That's a interesting compo(Old & New), with a bead blast how does that affect the glide of the razor? Karve does a fine bead blast on their brass razors and folks keep buying lots of them. Not sure if they bead blast their new stainless razors?
    Have some great shaves!

brit and Hembree like this.
  18. Hembree

I have not shave with it yet but I believe it will be negligible. I have a Rockwell 6s top plate on a Karve C solid bar and I have the same set up polished. I did a comparison shave and the polished head and base plate are slightly and I mean slightly smoother. Take care.

brit likes this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Karvel-head[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit, Hembree and Ron R like this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

It has that natural look that the two pieces have been together since day one of the ER 1924 shovelhead was produced in the factory.
    I like the look myself, makes me think that razor has seen a lot of use and more than likely has.
    Have some great shaves!

brit, Hembree and jmudrick like this.