Any Vetiver Scented Aftershave Fans here?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by jgreenepa, Aug 25, 2019.

1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I've been considering picking up either a Fine Fresh Vetiver Aftershave or a Fine Green Vetiver Aftershave. Has anyone here used either? What are your thoughts? Any preferences for one over the other. What about other Vetiver Aftershaves. I'm not interested in an EDT or EDC, only aftershaves. Any recommendations?

RyX and brit like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I had a Vetiver-type AS from Declaration Grooming(when it still carried the other title). I thought it was OK, but the swampy scent overpowered the Vetiver a bit.

jgreenepa and brit like this.
  3. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

Those two are based on Tom Ford Grey Vetiver and Guerlain Vetiver respectively, so if you read some reviews of those two it should give you an idea of the scents. I haven't bought any Fine aftershaves because I like something with more than just alcohol and fragrance.

Another nice and popular vetiver is Mickey Lee Reunion (might be hard to find as they are shutting down)

ultimately vetiver is more common as a note in a more complex aftershave, than as the dominant scent

RyX, jgreenepa and brit like this.
  4. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (PAA) makes a really good one that they call Vetiver Planet. It comes in the Shave Soap, Aftershave Cologne, and Eau De Parfum (EDP) formats. I had gotten an aftershave sample of it and liked it a lot, but there are so many other scents that I liked that the Vetiver is on a back burner somewhere. Now that I am looking, PAA still has it in the aftershave sample, that is one thing that they are good at, providing samples, many other places don't...

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The Tet-a-Tet ASB was really nice for an inexpensive product, but it is out of production. I haven't used any others.

6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I have the FINE fresh vetiver and really enjoy that stuff. It lasts a long time and if you find it a little strong a scent add some some witch hazel to dilute it in a separate bottle. I do not recommend dumping witch hazel into the main bottle.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  7. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

If you want a very in your face pure vetiver, Sirling has a vetiver witch hazel & aloe.

Paul Turner, RyX and brit like this.
  8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I have both Fine products and like them. You might consider Royall also.

RyX and brit like this.
  9. jgreenepa

Anyone familiar with Barrister and Main's Fern Aftershave? It's Vetiver inspired, but definitely an acquired taste. It's funny that I'm not too wild about it, but my wife likes it! She hates my Old Spice and Aqua Velva. Says it reminds her of her father. Go figure!

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

RyX and brit like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Fresh vetiver is my suggestion if you have to chose one. Clone of Tom Ford, Grey Vetiver. Green is a clone of Vetiver de Guerlain. Both GREAT scents.

Paul Turner, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I have Stirling's vetiver witch hazel.

It's a dark smokey vetiver for sure.

Like to use it in days I wear Encre Noir.

Paul Turner, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  12. jgreenepa

Thanks, Primo, just priced Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver at Bloomingdales. $180. A bit rich for my blood. I like the price of the clone much more. Thanks for the reference.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

RyX, Primotenore and brit like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :thanks:

brit likes this.
  14. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

that one shouldn't actually have any vetiver in it

It's a (IFRA-compliant) remake of the Diparco ("H Pour Hommes", 1963) version of Houbigant Fougere Royale (1882), with the notes oakmoss, lavender, tonka bean, bergamot, clary sage, geranium, heliotrope, rose, orchid, carnation, musk, and vanilla

jtspartan likes this.