New Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by TDunk, Aug 27, 2019.

1. TDunk

TDunk New Member

Looking at purchasing a new boar brush. And recommendations welcome please.
    Also for the experts out there, is this preferable to badger and, if so, any help choosing would be appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    RyX likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Whoo hoo! Can of worms time. Each person develops their own personal preference over a period of time, and that may be subject to change. As you get answers remember the replies will offer opinions, advice, even actual information. Up to you to sort it out.

OK, disclaimer out of the way? You asked about boar brushes. One of my favorites is an Omega Professional #10098 (<- copy/paste that into your google). It's an inexpensive Italian brush with a fat diameter knot, tall loft, and a relatively cheap plastic handle. With five years service mine hardly ever drops a bristle, has softened up and the tips are split. It loads hard soaps like a champ & works well with soft soaps or creams.I like them so much I bought another new one to use the knot and threw away the new handle.

If you choose to go boar there are many makers to look into; Semogue & Zenith are also quality brushes. They seem to be prepared by the makers to arrive in an already broken in softness.

Badgers? Back to that "to each his own" preference. Cheap "starter" badgers tend to be floppy. No guarantees an expensive one will be better. From what others tell me a two band will be less floppy and may have a little scritch and scrub. I'll set aside to let the Aficionados give badger advice.

brit, GatorJoe, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

It's hard to beat an Omega boar brush. Check out the 10048, 10049, and the 10098. All are available on Amazon.

brit, jtspartan, GatorJoe and 2 others like this.
  4. TDunk

TDunk New Member

Thanks for your input gents. Am in Portugal on holiday at the moment so might give the Semogue the once-over - if I can find any!!

brit, GatorJoe, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  5. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I have 2x Omega, a Semogue, a Whipped Dog Boar knot and they all work very well. Badger, to me, is also fine. Since I started with boar, I will gravitate to boars. It's always fun to see how the brush develops as more uses get under its belt.

brit and Hembree like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

:signs011:
    A scrubby new boar feels "right". I'm enjoying several synths and badgers, too. Haven't owned a horse hair. They come in different mixes of mane or tail hair, but from my reading all tend to be paint the lather on floppy. They also have a tendency to get knotted like my 8 year old grand daughters hair. Her mother or I have to contend with the morning hair brushing situation so I'd avoid it in my shaves.

7. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

:signs011:

brit and RyX like this.
  8. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I like the Omega boar knots best and the Semogue handles best. Thus the conundrum.

Dang, you’re gonna make me breakout my Semogue 620 or Omega 10005 tomorrow morning....

brit and RyX like this.
  9. basil

basil Well-Known Member

I bought an omega 48 a month or so. Biggest brush I own but it’s honestly awesome.

Great backbone to it and the tips are starting to split and get nice and soft.

brit and RyX like this.
  10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Badger, Boar, Horse, Synthetic, ... Whatever else there is. The real answer is that you are trying to shave with a brush and shave soap, as is proper.

I had spent A LOT of money chasing this hobby of ours, until I settled on a Shavemac knot and a custom handle.

Eventually, you will decide is best for you, and until that time arrives; Happy Shaving!

GatorJoe, brit and RyX like this.