Can I modify a soap's fragrance?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Ursa, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

I have a tub of Mama Bear's Pipe Tobacco soap I received second-hand from another TSD member back in 2008. I did not like the fragrance of it then, and it's only gotten more objectionable between then and now.

Is there anything I can do to refragrance this stuff?
    This is a 98%-full tub of soap and I'd like to get it into the rotation.

brit and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've heard about folks who want to try ARKO, but don't like the scent. Shred it as fine as you can, lay it out in a thin layer, let the scent oils evaporate. Then you can add a different scent oil.

brit, wristwatchb and Ursa like this.
  3. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I have a stick of Yardley Black Label which, upon reciept and being something like 40+years old, had no scent whatsoever. I left it in a torpedo tube of Black Label AS and i now have Black Label Shaving stick.

Just wait another 20 years with it unwrapped and you will be good....

brit, wristwatchb, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Your mention of AS prompted me to try bowl-lathering the soap, adding a splash of AS to the lather.

That did it! Just had a very pleasant shave...

brit, PanChango, Primotenore and 3 others like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

What's wrong with it....the tobacco resembles that of a cigarette, not a pipe?

RyX likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Might list it in the Buy / Sell / TRADE and see if anyone wants to pay crazy money or swap even for a different soap from the same maker.

brit and Ursa like this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm afraid one of those people is me. Might have to try that(it was PIFed to me in stick form).

brit and Ursa like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I do that with menthol crystals, sometimes Osage Rub (heavy menthol content) to spice up a low scent soap. Shredded a puck of Modern Williams, mixed in Aqua Velva cool Blue AS, and now I (almost) enjoy Williams!

Ursa and Paul Turner like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

As a pipe smoker I'll attest that there are many different flavors / scents. Cavendish is a stereotypical nonuser scent - mostly vanilla. Some have a treatment - Latakia - that smells like a wet campfire. In pipe tobacco the flavors vary as much as soap & AS scents.

Paul Turner and Ursa like this.
  10. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

I've been smoking pipes for over 30 years. The tub is marked "Aromatic Pipe Tobacco". It does smell something like Borkum Riff Ultra Light pipe tobacco. But it also smells like a dishrag that's long overdue for a laundering.

RyX...what's your favorite blend? I've got a jar full of odds & ends that I smoke--it's Lane's English-style Burley/Virginia/Latakia blend with remnants of other pouch tobaccos thrown in: Carter Hall, Half & Half, Prince Albert, Smoker's Pride Natural, and Smoker's Pride Cherry. Somehow, over time, a kind of synergy has infused itself into the jar and the blend is much better than any of its constituent parts.

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Ugh, not a pleasant scent description. I've heard of soaps scented like Hoppe's No.9 fire arm cleaning fluid, or garage mechanic scented... to each his own.
    Join us in the Your Pipe of the Day thread! I've been mentored by a VaPer enthusiast. Orlik Golden Slice & Peterson's University Flake were early fav's. In discovering my own preferences I like Burleys. Bulk from Peter Stokkebye Toasted Burley & Cubed Burley go well in a mix. Luxury Twist Flake and Natural Cavendish, Luxury Bullseye. Erinmore is good. Couple of Dunhill's I've sampled. Recently got some aromatics in small quantities to play with blending - raspberry and mint. Because I'm born in and living in Louisiana I keep a good bit of Perique around. It's not just a condiment.

Ursa likes this.
  12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Yes, but it will require years of intensive counseling. Assuming, of course, the scent wants to change in the first place. :D

RyX, brit and Ursa like this.
  13. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

Fuzzy has been summoned .. prepare for corrective actions.

RyX likes this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Naw. He & I have already discussed it. The box Williams comes in suggests using Aqua Velva so it's an approved scent. I just worked some into the soap so I could enjoy aftershave during the shave!

brit likes this.